Church Sign Against Koran Angers Some

Bonnie said:
MissileMan said:
And they'll be totally surprised if a muslim were to destroy the sign, or go beyond that and burn the church. This guy is one of the few Christians who give all Christians a bad name. Instead of defending it, why don't you write to this preacher and tell him why it was a bad idea?[/QUOTE

Still doesn't negate that fact that it's his free speech to place the sign there which is legal, if Muslims were to burn the sign or church in anyway that would be illegal, two very different things. If we as Christians are to tolerate all that is said against our church or religion than the same tolerance should be afforded to Christians period!!!!!!!!!

Let's just take that a step farther. I think all religions should tolerate all the other religions. Everyone thinks they are right. And each member of that religion thinks they are right.

If the Pastor was tolerant of other religions, he wouldn't have posted the sign and the Muslims wouldn't be upset.
If the Muslims were tolerant, then they would...gee..maybe turn the other cheek...and not make a big deal out of it.

Win - Win.

Bullypulpit said:
Rather un-Christian of the good Pastor...Don't you think? And, dear, it wsn't courage that led him to post his sign. It was simply willful, unabshed ignorance.

Forgive him,Bully. Show him how it's done !

GotZoom said:
Bonnie said:
Let's just take that a step farther. I think all religions should tolerate all the other religions. Everyone thinks they are right. And each member of that religion thinks they are right.

If the Pastor was tolerant of other religions, he wouldn't have posted the sign and the Muslims wouldn't be upset.
If the Muslims were tolerant, then they would...gee..maybe turn the other cheek...and not make a big deal out of it.

Win - Win.
Hey we don't have to win. We can just do this:

http://www.conyersblog.us/archives/00000103.htm

Then we will be safe and happy. :rolleyes:

GotZoom said:
Bonnie said:

Win - Win.

Sure the pastor could have used different language to make his point, but let's remember it is a pastors obligation to speak his mind to his congregation (so long as it doesn't encourage the harm of any one of a different set of convictions) without being afraid of retaliation. Just as Muslims preach Christians are the enemy of Allah. They cross the line when they take that belief and encourage their followers to go out and blow up Christians. There is a difference between tolerance for the beliefs of others and still preaching what is right and wrong. My priest has repeatedly preached that some aspects of the Muslim faith do outright say any non muslim is the enemy of Islam and is therfore subject to violence. Is that intolerance? I don't think so, I see it as my priest telling us the thruth which he is obligated to do without fear of reprisal and as politically incorrect as it may be seen by Muslims.

Bonnie said:
GotZoom said:
Sure the pastor could have used different language to make his point, but let's remember it is a pastors obligation to speak his mind to his congregation (so long as it doesn't encourage the harm of any one of a different set of convictions) without being afraid of retaliation. Just as Muslims preach Christians are the enemy of Allah. They cross the line when they take that belief and encourage their followers to go out and blow up Christians. There is a difference between tolerance for the beliefs of others and still preaching what is right and wrong. My priest has repeatedly preached that some aspects of the Muslim faith do outright say any non muslim is the enemy of Islam and is therfore subject to violence. Is that intolerance? I don't think so, I see it as my priest telling us the thruth which he is obligated to do without fear of reprisal and as politically incorrect as it may be seen by Muslims.

Absolutely agreed. If I was in his congregation, I wouldn't be upset about what he put on the sign. I probably would have preferred that he said "Come Find Out The Truth About Muslims" or something like that...then tell us all the other stuff; including the flushing.

I, personally, want my church to be in a positive light in the community. Not the source of a scandal. What is on the sign can be totally different that what the message inside the 4 walls is.

GotZoom said:
Bonnie said:
Absolutely agreed. If I was in his congregation, I wouldn't be upset about what he put on the sign. I probably would have preferred that he said "Come Find Out The Truth About Muslims" or something like that...then tell us all the other stuff; including the flushing.

I, personally, want my church to be in a positive light in the community. Not the source of a scandal. What is on the sign can be totally different that what the message inside the 4 walls is.

Agreed that all churches should be a source of positiveness in this world, this pastor took a different approach (lets say lol) to make his point. He would have served his parrish much better to make his case better, I think what we are seeing here is a bit of a backlash of frustration as a culmination of all that is going on in the world today. My guess anyway?

Bonnie said:
GotZoom said:
Agreed that all churches should be a source of positiveness in this world, this pastor took a different approach (lets say lol) to make his point. He would have served his parrish much better to make his case better, I think what we are seeing here is a bit of a backlash of frustration as a culmination of all that is going on in the world today. My guess anyway?

Maybe, then again, when compared with beheading, seems pretty mild way to get rid of frustration!

Lets all get angry at a pastor for getting fed up about the fact that you can whisper anything remotely negative about a Muslim without being attacked by liberals screeching "tolerance!" if you're lucky or getting your head cut off by an insane religious fanatic if you're unlucky.

Why SHOULD he be tolerant of a religion that allows its fanatics to kill people without a wide, sweeping, LOUD condemnation of such antics?

If Christians were doing this, Churches would be shouting from the rafters about how wrong it is. Condemnation of Christians who murder abortion doctors is loud and immediate.

Is the Muslim woman in this article angry at the Muslims who caused this minister to put out a mean sign? Not that she mentioned...nope, shes angry at the sign...which (yes, rudely, meanly...insensitively) states that the Koran is what these fanatics are pointing to as justification for their insanity...and other Muslims (not to mention many non-Muslims) are giving them a pass.

I understand being angry at the preacher, I really do. I disagree with his silly little sign, and if I was a church member I would ask him to take it down.

But give me a break...such righteous indignation over a man fed up with violence...aren't we supposed to be looking at the CAUSES of peoples misbehavior???

Liberal society-building has taught us that a criminal isn't guilty...hes misunderstood...an abused childhood, poor rolemodels, a broken home, poverty...

Well how about this ministers background...the USS Cole, the embassy bombings, the nightclub bombing, the assassination of the Israeli Olympic team, the 1st WTC Bombing, 9/11, more beheadings then I care to remember, and now 16 people dead over a blurb in a magazine....all committed by people who use the Koran as justification....

Does it mean that the Bible is always right? No. Does it mean that people haven't committed attrocities in the name of the Bible? Of course not.

It just means that this man's mean sign does NOT exist in a vaccuum...and we shouldn't be spending nearly as much time screeching about him as we should be examining whats causing his rude, insensitive anger.

Gem said:
Lets all get angry at a pastor for getting fed up about the fact that you can whisper anything remotely negative about a Muslim without being attacked by liberals screeching "tolerance!" if you're lucky or getting your head cut off by an insane religious fanatic if you're unlucky.

Why SHOULD he be tolerant of a religion that allows its fanatics to kill people without a wide, sweeping, LOUD condemnation of such antics?

If Christians were doing this, Churches would be shouting from the rafters about how wrong it is. Condemnation of Christians who murder abortion doctors is loud and immediate.

Is the Muslim woman in this article angry at the Muslims who caused this minister to put out a mean sign? Not that she mentioned...nope, shes angry at the sign...which (yes, rudely, meanly...insensitively) states that the Koran is what these fanatics are pointing to as justification for their insanity...and other Muslims (not to mention many non-Muslims) are giving them a pass.

I understand being angry at the preacher, I really do. I disagree with his silly little sign, and if I was a church member I would ask him to take it down.

But give me a break...such righteous indignation over a man fed up with violence...aren't we supposed to be looking at the CAUSES of peoples misbehavior???

Liberal society-building has taught us that a criminal isn't guilty...hes misunderstood...an abused childhood, poor rolemodels, a broken home, poverty...

Well how about this ministers background...the USS Cole, the embassy bombings, the nightclub bombing, the assassination of the Israeli Olympic team, the 1st WTC Bombing, 9/11, more beheadings then I care to remember, and now 16 people dead over a blurb in a magazine....all committed by people who use the Koran as justification....

Does it mean that the Bible is always right? No. Does it mean that people haven't committed attrocities in the name of the Bible? Of course not.

It just means that this man's mean sign does NOT exist in a vaccuum...and we shouldn't be spending nearly as much time screeching about him as we should be examining whats causing his rude, insensitive anger.

I'm not angry with the Pastor. I understand his frustration. I can take a guess at his motivation behind wanting to word the sign the way he did; USS Cole, WTC, 9/11 etc, as you pointed out.

I would have preferred that he took the high road and not given his Church this kind of publicity.

That anyone could refer to Islam as a religion...the so called prophet Muhammad(pun) was in fact a war lord "hell bent on leather" on taking over the known world....he plagerized the Jewish and Christian writings to include writings of ancient Syria... masked his political party as a religion... to justify rape,murder,stealing of anothers property all in the name of Allah! This trend is a continuing saga today...the sooner the world wakes up the better...or the "Ottoman Empire" will finally win...where the hell is my trusty muskett when I need it...Damn! :salute: :firing:

GotZoom,

I agree with you, I do not think that the sign was particularly "Christianly." I think that the sign is very indicitive of the fact that that is a church I would never want to go to...

However, I am tired of us as a nation focusing so much time and energy on blaming people for expressing frustration (in legal ways) at the violence we have allowed to go on and escalate and ignored for years.

New Topics

Forum List

Back