Church Sign Against Koran Angers Some

Let me begin by saying I disagree with the sign. I do not think that destroying another religion's holy book is what Christianity is all about.

That being said...

Isn't the United States all about freedom...religious freedom included? We are told that we must seperate church and state...that churches are allowed to believe what they want...just so long as it remains seperate from the state?

So other than being in poor taste, mean to certain people...shouldn't this church be able to post whatever it wants on its sign...and if you don't like it you can choose not to read it (isn't that what liberals always say about the sex and violence on tv?), drive another way to work, stop going to that church, or write letters to the minister who posted it?

The article quotes a Muslim woman:

Seema Riley, a Muslim, who was born in Pakistan and reared in New York, was one of those upset by the sign.

She moved to Rutherford County for the "small town friendly" atmosphere, she said. When she saw the sign on the side of the highway Saturday she felt angered and threatened.

She felt angry...thats fine, shes allowed to feel angry in the US. Shes allowed to be completely pissed. Many Catholics were angry when a prime-time television show made a joke out of flushing the eucharist down the toilet...many Christians are pissed off at being stereotyped as stupid hicks...she now can join the huge number of religious Americans who are pissed off....it doesn't mean that Hollywood can't make a joke out of flushing the eucharist...nor does it mean a Baptist preacher can't say the Koran should be flushed.

As far as threatened...this is a liberal buzz-word. Has she ACTUALLY been threatened by someone? If so, that person should be arrested and charged with a crime. If not, then too bad...you don't have the right to not be offended in this country.

"We need a certain degree of tolerance," said Riley. "That sign doesn't really reflect what I think this county is about."

Tolerance....I think that this sign is ENTIRELY about tolerance. Christians tolerated the Holy Bible being used as toilet paper by terrorists, by the desecration of the Church of the Nativity AND Joseph's Tomb. Buddists have tolerated the destruction of their holy sites. People all over the world have tolerated terrorist attacks committed by Muslim fanatics based upon the "teachings" of their Holy Koran....perhaps the Baptist minister is fed up with being tolerant...it sure didn't save the 3000 people who died in the 9/11 attacks...nor did it save the 16 people who died because Muslims didn't follow the "tolerance" Riley is asking for.

She said that according to Islamic faith, a follower does not even touch the Koran without going through a ritual cleansing. Muslims believe the physical book to be a sacred item that is treated with respect and reverence, much like the image of Jesus in Christianity, according to a report on National Public Radio.

Our society TOLERATES "Piss Christ," and "Dung Virgin," pieces of art that defile and desecrate sacred Christian images for shock value and to insult the Christian faith and Christians everywhere...all of this in the name of Freedom of Speech and Expression....yet for HER religion...we should change all the rules...forgoe the freedoms that supposedly make this society great...why? Because HER sacred items are somehow more sacred then ours?

"For someone to put that sign up -- the person just didn't understand -- didn't take into consideration what putting up that sign means," said Riley. "I don't think it should be posted on a sign in public viewing on the highway to create a hostile environment for me."

I'm offended...therefore flush the 1st Amendment to the Constitution down the toilet (pun very much intended).

This woman, and others like her, need to GET A GRIP. This is the United States...I get to do things that drive you absolutely crazy...I get to say things that make your blood boil...and you have to either put up with it...or walk away. Yes, it sounds unfair...but you get to do the same thing to me.

My advice to Seema Riley is to stop whining...rent a sign and ask the neighbor across the street from the church if you can put it up directly across from the Baptist Church's sign...it can say anything you like...as long as the property owner agrees..."We need tolerance!" "Don't threaten and intimidate Muslims!" "Flush the Bible!" "This minister is a big poopie head!" Whatever you want, I don't care...just stop asking us to forgoe our freedoms because you can not tolerate someone who doesn't blindly accept everything you do.

krisy said:
Well,if anything,I would say this preacher has some guts.Not to many people today have the courage to stand up like this against something they believe to be wrong,for fear that the political correctness police will be at their door.

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/articles/2005/05/24/news/news01.txt

And they'll be totally surprised if a muslim were to destroy the sign, or go beyond that and burn the church. This guy is one of the few Christians who give all Christians a bad name. Instead of defending it, why don't you write to this preacher and tell him why it was a bad idea?

MissileMan said:
And they'll be totally surprised if a muslim were to destroy the sign, or go beyond that and burn the church. This guy is one of the few Christians who give all Christians a bad name. Instead of defending it, why don't you write to this preacher and tell him why it was a bad idea?
So much for free speech, eh. That sign, in my opinion, is no justification for acts of violence on any Muslim's part.

I suppose if we extend the logic you portray in your post, it would be justifiable for a few fellas to get together and burn down a mosque because they preach the destruction of the US .....

krisy said:
Well,if anything,I would say this preacher has some guts.Not to many people today have the courage to stand up like this against something they believe to be wrong,for fear that the political correctness police will be at their door.

http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/articles/2005/05/24/news/news01.txt

Rather un-Christian of the good Pastor...Don't you think? And, dear, it wsn't courage that led him to post his sign. It was simply willful, unabshed ignorance.

MissileMan said:

And, unfortunately, it is such Christians who have the ear of the President and Congress.

What if the sign said:

"You don't need to wear a little black hat to worship our God"

or

"You don't need to face a certain way to worship our God"

or

"Forget the little beads, come worship with us"

What about those?

GotZoom said:
What if the sign said:

"You don't need to wear a little black hat to worship our God"

or

"You don't need to face a certain way to worship our God"

or

"Forget the little beads, come worship with us"

What about those?

They would be offensive of course---only Christianity can be condemned for it's actions--other religions get a free pass for now

dilloduck said:
They would be offensive of course---only Christianity can be condemned for it's actions--other religions get a free pass for now

Ohhh..that's right.

Geez...what was I thinking.

Bullypulpit said:
Rather un-Christian of the good Pastor...Don't you think? And, dear, it wsn't courage that led him to post his sign. It was simply willful, unabshed ignorance.
And again, what makes you an expert on courage?

MissileMan said:

I don't believe I said I supported what the sign said,but admired his guts to put it up. I had mixed feelings about putting something like that up,but he has the right to do it,doesn't he? As I've said before,I wonder if you would be upset if it was the other way around. Maybe it isn't the best choice to put something like this up,but at the same time,maybe just maybe some people are going to say-hey,we can do this too,how do you like it? Again,maybe not the best choice,but being that I do not believe Islam is peaceful,doesn't really rattle me. Christians have the right to free speech too,just like everyone else,regardless of what the press says. :rolleyes:

krisy said:
I don't believe I said I supported what the sign said,but admired his guts to put it up. I had mixed feelings about putting something like that up,but he has the right to do it,doesn't he? As I've said before,I wonder if you would be upset if it was the other way around. Maybe it isn't the best choice to put something like this up,but at the same time,maybe just maybe some people are going to say-hey,we can do this too,how do you like it? Again,maybe not the best choice,but being that I do not believe Islam is peaceful,doesn't really rattle me. Christians have the right to free speech too,just like everyone else,regardless of what the press says. :rolleyes:

I repeat Islam is not a religion...only masked as such..it is nothing more than a radical political party...always has been and always will be...their goal has always been to conquer the world under the false premis of religion! I agree with the pastors response to this BS! :clap1:

MissileMan said:

Great, you have already defended a muslim who would destroy the sign or burn the church. No wonder muslims get away with such a double standard of wrongs.

Yurt said:
Great, you have already defended a muslim who would destroy the sign or burn the church. No wonder muslims get away with such a double standard of wrongs.

I did no such thing, merely pointing out that as your bible says, "you reap what you sow". There are Christians who keep planting seeds of hatred and wondering why their garden is full of thorns. I wonder what the response would be if the sign had read "Catholics Suck!" or "Evangelicals Eat Shit!".

Bullypulpit said:
How is it "un-Christian"? People forget that when Christ entered the temple, he actually, *gasp* got angry and turned over the tables of the money-changers and those doing business in the temple instead of worshipping there.... this man is just pointing out that Islam is wrong (from a Christian point of view, it HAS to be wrong as Islam does not recognize Christ as the Son of God). So what's the big deal? Why do Christians have to be "tolerant" but others don't have to be tolerant of Christians???

MissileMan said:
I did no such thing, merely pointing out that as your bible says, "you reap what you sow". There are Christians who keep planting seeds of hatred and wondering why their garden is full of thorns. I wonder what the response would be if the sign had read "Catholics Suck!" or "Evangelicals Eat Shit!".
Wow, you jump to extremes. I guess that is the only way for you to defend your idiotic position on this.

Seeds of hate... "Catholics Suck!", etc..... how does that compare to what was actually posted? It doesn't. You are just GRASPING!!!

freeandfun1 said:
Wow, you jump to extremes. I guess that is the only way for you to defend your idiotic position on this.

Seeds of hate... "Catholics Suck!", etc..... how does that compare to what was actually posted? It doesn't. You are just GRASPING!!!

So the expectation of common courtesy and following the golden rule is idiotic now? The only GRASPING going on is by those trying to justify a blatantly offensive message on a sign.

MissileMan said:
So the expectation of common courtesy and following the golden rule is idiotic now? The only GRASPING going on is by those trying to justify a blatantly offensive message on a sign.
He has a right. Nobody would care if it were offensive to Christianity. I am not grasping, unless you are denying their right to post whatever they want as long as the language is not vulgar.

freeandfun1 said:
He has a right. Nobody would care if it were offensive to Christianity. I am not grasping, unless you are denying their right to post whatever they want as long as the language is not vulgar.

I never claimed that he doesn't have the right. But that right, doesn't make the sign any less wrong!

MissileMan said:
And they'll be totally surprised if a muslim were to destroy the sign, or go beyond that and burn the church. This guy is one of the few Christians who give all Christians a bad name. Instead of defending it, why don't you write to this preacher and tell him why it was a bad idea?[/QUOTE

Still doesn't negate that fact that it's his free speech to place the sign there which is legal, if Muslims were to burn the sign or church in anyway that would be illegal, two very different things. If we as Christians are to tolerate all that is said against our church or religion than the same tolerance should be afforded to Christians period!!!!!!!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back