Church or Cult?

I think preaching any kind of hatred from the pulpit is not what Jesus would do.

I don't think Jesus would be telling people how to vote from a pulpit either.

True.
As I recall from the bible Jesus clearly drew a line between politics and religion.
I spent the first 16 years of my life in the same denomination of church as Palin.

Many hide behind a religion to express their hatreds.

Cult Definition

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, whose members are referred to as Jehovah’s Witnesses, theologically is a cult of Christianity, and sociologically has countless cult-like elements as wewll.

Cults — as defined theologically — also exist in other religions. The definition holds, as long as a certain group claims to be part of, or representative of, a religion while at the same time violating that religion’s essential doctrines.

Essential doctrines are those doctrines that define a given religion’s basic essence. Much the same way, say, a tuna salad must include tuna, religions have basic, essential ingredients (doctrines).

I'd say it's largely correct to call the WBC a cult, maybe the Floridian yahoo's too but I don't know enough about them to say. (and don't care too)

One of the reasons the church of the time did not like Jesus and had him crucified is that they wanted a war leader not a spiritual one.

Interesting too that running the moneychangers from the temple was the final straw that got Jesus crucified.

I think preaching any kind of hatred from the pulpit is not what Jesus would do.

True.
As I recall from the bible Jesus clearly drew a line between politics and religion.
I spent the first 16 years of my life in the same denomination of church as Palin.

I'm really looking at my own hatred these days. The Dalai Lama calls hatred when you have a grudge and you think you're right.

You better watch out syrenn you're gonna tick off the Christians.

LOL...the christians are a cult just like all the rest. They are just a more popular and widely excepted and better organized cult.

What do you think the Romans thought christians were?

No one "in" a cult thinks they are a "cult" So christians saying they are not a cult is laughable to me.

True.

I'm really looking at my own hatred these days. The Dalai Lama calls hatred when you have a grudge and you think you're right.

I think it was Confucious who said hatred is like an acid that eats away at the vessel that contains it.

True.

I think it was Confucious who said hatred is like an acid that eats away at the vessel that contains it.

It's like holding on to a hot poker instead of letting go of it. I'm guilty of that, for sure.

It's like holding on to a hot poker instead of letting go of it. I'm guilty of that, for sure.

Yeah me too. However I think we both realize the truth and work to improve ourselves.

I started this thread because divecon referred to the Florida Christian church that's burning copies of the Q'uran as a cult, he also said the Westboro Baptist Church is a cult.

I'm not sure if they are a cult or not, but they certainly repulsive and not mainstream churches.

See I don't even know who the mainstream churches are these days.

Oh goodie...yet another.....

andthewinner.gif

Is Westboro Baptist Church a church or a cult? What about the Florida church burning the Q'uran? Is it a church or a cult?

What's the difference between a church and a cult?

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Cult - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Yes, they are both cults.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yLVufAfby0]YouTube - &#x202a;The Cult - Wild Flower&#x202c;&lrm;[/ame]

Size doesn't matter. Some people think both the LDS and the RCC are cults and they're huge. Ted Haggard's mega church is huge.

Last edited:
Size doesn't matter. Some people think both the LDS and the RCC are cults and they're huge. Ted Haggard's mega church is huge.

Umm not Ted Haggards any more. He got caught buying crack for his gay lover.
Bush's religious advisor down the tubes.

New Topics

Forum List

Back