Church Hires Convicted Sex Offender, Kids banned from Church while he is present.

It really is all about fairness isn't it?
Well I am a fair skinned person. I can't tan worth a flip, so I might as well go all the way. :) :) :)

Would you let your child be the first one he guides in the ways of the Lord so the world can see he is not the same sex offender who went to prison?

I would never expose my child to this creep. I am entrusted with my child's welfare and to make those decisions which will keep him safe and allow him to grow into a well balanced and happy individual. Taking a chance that my child my lose his innocence to a convicted child sex offender would make me as culpable and sick as the sex offender himself.
Would I let my children be the first? If I had any children, sure! As long as I am always in their picture, why not? And if I don't like something that is said or done in my children's presence, then me and them are up and out of there. It is as simple as that. It is up to the parents and no one else what their kids are exposed to and its a parents responsibility to teach their kids what is right if they see another person say or do something wrong.

Your feelings are valid to a point but we do not put our children at risk in order to give someone who has abused children another chance. We can forgive criminals....but we are under no obligation to put our children at risk. Pedophiles are dangerous, there is a reason they are not allowed to mingle with children in places where children congregate...churches, movie theatres, skate rinks, to name a few. Because those are the venues they frequent and use to hide their crimes.

Forgive him certainly..but if you want children in church, don't be such a moron as to hire a pedophile to lead the church. That's just stupidity. Perhaps convicted pedophiles should start preaching to their own, instead of continuing to troll for victims with the support of naive nitwits like you.
As long as your kids are never out of your sight, what is there to worry about?

God bless you three always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. To me, no one should be stripped of their right to go to church because of something that they did in their past, especially if they were appropriately punished for the wrong that they did and most especially do not do the wrong anymore. :) :) :)

Right now, everyone in that church knows what he did. However how long will it take before the public is no longer talking about it? Before new people join the church and dont know that their preacher likes to molest children?

He has also been accused of taking advantage of the women at his other church when they saw him for counseling, resulting in the birth of at least one child.

If he wants to preach, perhaps he should take this as a sign to preach to convicts and other pedophiles. However, welcoming him into a position of power over children because "he's changed" is just foolishness.

I ask myself the same question often: "What is the world coming to?" A naive sentiment I suppose, when asked in the face of human malevolence that has always existed.

Without quoting many of the thoughtful responses to this thread I will add that where the safety of children is concerned in particular, my own, my reaction will always be never forgive, never forget. Speaking hypothetically because I do not attend this church, I would sever all ties with it if I did. I believe that people who commit such crimes depend on, even seek out forgiveness much the same way wolves seek wounded or age weakened prey.

It really is all about fairness isn't it?
Well I am a fair skinned person. I can't tan worth a flip, so I might as well go all the way. :) :) :)

Would you let your child be the first one he guides in the ways of the Lord so the world can see he is not the same sex offender who went to prison?

I would never expose my child to this creep. I am entrusted with my child's welfare and to make those decisions which will keep him safe and allow him to grow into a well balanced and happy individual. Taking a chance that my child my lose his innocence to a convicted child sex offender would make me as culpable and sick as the sex offender himself.
Would I let my children be the first? If I had any children, sure! As long as I am always in their picture, why not? And if I don't like something that is said or done in my children's presence, then me and them are up and out of there. It is as simple as that. It is up to the parents and no one else what their kids are exposed to and its a parents responsibility to teach their kids what is right if they see another person say or do something wrong.

Your feelings are valid to a point but we do not put our children at risk in order to give someone who has abused children another chance. We can forgive criminals....but we are under no obligation to put our children at risk. Pedophiles are dangerous, there is a reason they are not allowed to mingle with children in places where children congregate...churches, movie theatres, skate rinks, to name a few. Because those are the venues they frequent and use to hide their crimes.

Forgive him certainly..but if you want children in church, don't be such a moron as to hire a pedophile to lead the church. That's just stupidity. Perhaps convicted pedophiles should start preaching to their own, instead of continuing to troll for victims with the support of naive nitwits like you.
As long as your kids are never out of your sight, what is there to worry about?

Holly

P.S. To me, no one should be stripped of their right to go to church because of something that they did in their past, especially if they were appropriately punished for the wrong that they did and most especially do not do the wrong anymore. :) :) :)

Nobody is saying he should be stripped of his right to attend church.

The way pedophile/sex offender parole/treatment works: You do what you can to eliminate temptation. You don't put yourself in the midst of temptation in order to prove you can overcome it. That's why sex offenders, pedophiles particularly, are COURT ORDERED to avoid situations where they will be with those they have offended against. They should not be in a position of confidence...a pastor's job is to spend intimate time alone with people when they are at their most vulnerable. You don't help a pedophile by throwing him back into the midst of the thing that triggers him. And you don't prove your faith by risking yours, or others', children. Unless he has a 24-hour a day babysitter, this pastor cannot be monitored and his position means he is in a position, if he chooses to, to exploit and re-offend.

The church isn't helping them, and they aren't helping themselves. Often we think we're doing the godly thing by refusing to address the issue...and the issue is don't tempt the Lord your God. ESPECIALLY with your children. You run the chance of losing everything....and he is not being done a favor.

Without quoting many of the thoughtful responses to this thread I will add that where the safety of children is concerned in particular, my own, my reaction will always be never forgive, never forget.
Just so that you are aware of it, holding a grudge against someone who has asked for forgiveness may very well be a sin too, at least I believe that it is. I could be wrong though.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Last edited:
I believe that a person can change at any time in their life. If the guy doesn't do what he did time for anymore, then I think that he should be given the chance to show the rest of us that he is not the same person anymore. As for kids being banned from the church when he is there, to me, that is not fair. In my opinion, church is where kids need to be in this day and age and if the only way that they can be there is if the guy is supervised, then someone should be there to supervise him. The guy not minding the supervision will be another way for him to show that he has truly changed anyways. :) :) :)

God bless you and him and the victims of his past always!!! :) :) :)

Holly
Jo, repeat offenders and pedophiles have a proven high recidivism rate. You can be the nicest person in the world, but for the long term, the 30-to-52% recidivism rate is based only upon the fact of the pedophile getting caught and becoming a statistic. In other crimes, less than 2% ever get convicted again, because it's hard to prove when these criminals know how to keep the victim quiet and thinking he or she is the cause of the criminal thing done to his or her body. IOW, they don't get caught, including the more sociopathic ones convicted once merely do away with the victim once their deed is done.

They have frontal lobe deformity--some caused by getting hit hard, some caused by tumors, and some caused by maternal drug or alcohol abuse in which brain formation is altered by the drug's killing gray matter at a critical fetal developmental stage.

The net result is children in their path are at risk due to sociopathic tendencies that are ingrained from their own personal abuse at an early age by someone else with the madness. There are 2 strong components in the development of someone who comes to abuse a child the first time--lack of neural pathways and/or unresolved social development caused by neglect or abuse. It's complex, but these people are angels to adults, demons to kids.

How likely are sex offenders to repeat their crimes
?

Last edited:
^^^ Thanks for the info. :) :) :)

Right now, everyone in that church knows what he did. However how long will it take before the public is no longer talking about it? Before new people join the church and dont know that their preacher likes to molest children?

He has also been accused of taking advantage of the women at his other church when they saw him for counseling, resulting in the birth of at least one child.

If he wants to preach, perhaps he should take this as a sign to preach to convicts and other pedophiles. However, welcoming him into a position of power over children because "he's changed" is just foolishness.
If new people come to the church, they should be informed about anything that needs to be known and because of his past, maybe he should be supervised no matter where he works then. As for him preaching to those who have done what he did, sadly people can only be helped when they want to be. Oh and I don't remember saying that he was given the job because he has changed. Maybe he got it because he is good at it no matter whats in his past.

Nobody is saying he should be stripped of his right to attend church.

The way pedophile/sex offender parole/treatment works: You do what you can to eliminate temptation. You don't put yourself in the midst of temptation in order to prove you can overcome it. That's why sex offenders, pedophiles particularly, are COURT ORDERED to avoid situations where they will be with those they have offended against. They should not be in a position of confidence...a pastor's job is to spend intimate time alone with people when they are at their most vulnerable. You don't help a pedophile by throwing him back into the midst of the thing that triggers him. And you don't prove your faith by risking yours, or others', children. Unless he has a 24-hour a day babysitter, this pastor cannot be monitored and his position means he is in a position, if he chooses to, to exploit and re-offend.

The church isn't helping them, and they aren't helping themselves. Often we think we're doing the godly thing by refusing to address the issue...and the issue is don't tempt the Lord your God. ESPECIALLY with your children. You run the chance of losing everything....and he is not being done a favor.
You make it sound like the guy is a rattle snake. Well he isn't because he has the ability to think before he "strikes" a person. And you mentioned him having a 24 hour babysitter. Why would one be needed all day when preachers are not "on the clock" that long? They do go home eventually.

Holly

Without quoting many of the thoughtful responses to this thread I will add that where the safety of children is concerned in particular, my own, my reaction will always be never forgive, never forget.
Just so that you are aware of it, holding a grudge against someone who has asked for forgiveness may very well be a sin too, at least I believe that it is. I could be wrong though.

Holly

There is a difference in "holding a grudge" and allowing past actions to predict future responses.

I would not expect an alcoholic, who can't be bothered to go to AA, to stay sober long working at a bar mixing drinks.

I would not expect a drug addict who is newly clean to stay clean long if they work in a hospital counting pills all day.

I do not except a man convicted of molesting girls in his congregation to not molest again if as soon as he gets out of prison, he goes back to the lifestyle that aided in his crime, including petitioning the court for the children to be allowed to attend his sermons.

It'sfoolish. You don't treat pedophiles by putting them in the presence of children and vulnerable ppl, in a position of authority. It has nothing to do with forgiveness; it's just foolishness. You can and should forgive everyone for their sins...but they still must be held accountable for the laws they break and the people they hurt here on earth. And if they are Christian, saved... they will abide by that. Pedophiles who are saved are still pedophiles, and still have sinful natures, just the same as everybody else. They still must battle their demons, and I am not a member of the church of "let's teach our kids to handle snakes to prove our faith! Hallelujah!"

CaféAuLait;6320857 said:
Church Hires Convicted Sex Offender, Kids banned from Church while he is present.

A convicted sex offender can keep on preaching, but children are barred from attending his sermons.

The Florida Times Union reports that lawyers for Darrell Gilyard withdrew a motion to allow minors at sermons conducted by the former Jacksonville, Fla., megachurch pastor.

Though children are not allowed, attendance at the Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church has spiked since Gilyard began preaching in January, less than two months after he was released from prison, according to the Times Union.

Darrell Gilyard Controversy: Church Hires Convicted Sex Offender, No Kids Allowed At Sermons (VIDEO)

Gilyard, 50, pleaded guilty in 2009 to lewd or lascivious conduct and molestation involving two girls younger than 16. He remains on a three-year supervised probation that bars him from having unsupervised contact with minors.

And membership and attendence is UP at the church! WTF is happening to this world?

Molesting girls just not a big thing to some.......

Last edited:
Democrats believe that he has paid his debt to society and deserves to be restored to his place as a free citizen as if the molestations never happened.

It's how democrats elected an 8 time loser ex-con to political office, how Jesse Jackson Jr. won reelection quite easily, how Marion Berry got elected Mayor after he was released from prison and how Alan Grayson got so many votes.

How did this turn political?

There is a difference in "holding a grudge" and allowing past actions to predict future responses.

I would not expect an alcoholic, who can't be bothered to go to AA, to stay sober long working at a bar mixing drinks.

I would not expect a drug addict who is newly clean to stay clean long if they work in a hospital counting pills all day.

I do not except a man convicted of molesting girls in his congregation to not molest again if as soon as he gets out of prison, he goes back to the lifestyle that aided in his crime, including petitioning the court for the children to be allowed to attend his sermons.
If something about a person bothers you badly enough, the only thing that you can do is find somewhere else to be.

Holly

Check out the sex offender thread. Some don't think he should be "reminded" of past crimes or stigmatized...and others think that it's the resposibility of the kids to identify and reject the advanced of pedophiles.

I am a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance, but a convicted child molester should NEVER be allowed near children again!

I would say I am shocked about this, but it IS the Catholic Church...

Check out the sex offender thread. Some don't think he should be "reminded" of past crimes or stigmatized...and others think that it's the resposibility of the kids to identify and reject the advanced of pedophiles.

I am a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance, but a convicted child molester should NEVER be allowed near children again!

I would say I am shocked about this, but it IS the Catholic Church...

Except it's not.

Democrats believe that he has paid his debt to society and deserves to be restored to his place as a free citizen as if the molestations never happened.

It's how democrats elected an 8 time loser ex-con to political office, how Jesse Jackson Jr. won reelection quite easily, how Marion Berry got elected Mayor after he was released from prison and how Alan Grayson got so many votes.

How did this turn political?

Democrats are very forgiving, they accept criminals. In their politics and churches.

At my church, my children are very loving towards the pastor..they seek him out before and after services to give him a hug, they like to sit up front with him before we start, they like to eat with him. I don't want a convicted pedophile fulfilling that role in the kids' life.

How can you trust that the pastor is not a pedophile himself?

I don't, Noom. I know he's never been convicted. I don't leave my kids alone with him...well actually, that one is retired now. I was sitting right there when he talked to them about their personal salvation and when they told him they accepted Christ's gift.

I believe that a person can change at any time in their life. If the guy doesn't do what he did time for anymore, then I think that he should be given the chance to show the rest of us that he is not the same person anymore. As for kids being banned from the church when he is there, to me, that is not fair. In my opinion, church is where kids need to be in this day and age and if the only way that they can be there is if the guy is supervised, then someone should be there to supervise him. The guy not minding the supervision will be another way for him to show that he has truly changed anyways. :) :) :)

God bless you and him and the victims of his past always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

He is disqualified to be a Pastor because of his previous sin.

Forum List

Back