Church condemns abortion performed on raped girl, 11

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by 5stringJeff, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Just curious as to what you guys think about this:

Story

Church condemns abortion performed on raped girl, 11

Sibylla Brodzinsky in Bogotá
    Thursday August 31, 2006
    The Guardian

A Vatican official has said the Catholic church will excommunicate a medical team who performed Colombia's first legal abortion on an 11-year-old girl, who was eight weeks pregnant after being raped by her stepfather.

Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, the president of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family, said in addition to the doctors and nurses, the measure could apply to "relatives, politicians and lawmakers" whom he called "protagonists in this abominable crime".

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I don't care what any Church said about it. Pro or Con.

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    In this instance, I think there was nothing wrong with it, but I am curious if the girl wanted the baby or not. There are some people who'd prefer to keep the baby regardless.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It's a fine edge, but in any case, I think excommunication is a bit extreme. It's a desperate situation, and Christ is all about forgiveness. If it were my decision, I would prefer to err on the side of the doctors. This is an 11-year old girl in an underdeveloped nation with a forced incestuous relationship. The only more compelling reason for an abortion is if her life was in danger.

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The Church stepped way out of line on this one. Never mind that an 11 year old is as likely and/or the fetus are as likely to die as to carry to term. No 11 year old, or anyone else for that matter, should be forced to carry and give birth to the get of a rape. Does any one know if the rapist has had his cojones cut off?

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804

They'd never do that. He has his 'rights' in all remember?

But I think they definately should :death:

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I disagree with the Church's decision.m Incestuous rape is one of the reasons IMO that justifies abortion. A pregnant 11 years old who more than likely is not physically developed enough to carry a baby to term, endangering both lives is an additional factor.

The stepfather should have his balls cut off with a rusty butterknife and the wound cauterized with stick matches.:death: :flameth:

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    11 years old girls are not capable of making such a decision. That's why they're called children and live with mom and dad. A (step)parent who violated that trust is lower than whale shit and no form of torture too sadistic for his ass.

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have been thinking and thinking about this. I have a 10 1/2 year old daughter. This quote from the article struck me:
    This is completely unrealistic. That little girl will never just "go back to her toys." She has to be deeply, deeply scarred by the abuse of that man---I REFUSE to give him the honorable title of "stepfather." The quote above reflects the attitude of many pro-abortion people... that the problem will be "fixed" once the pregnancy goes away. The problem is not the pregnancy; the problem is the continued abuse by which the little girl was victimized. Ending the pregnancy can NEVER erase from her mind what was done to her. Her innocence is long-gone.

Of course, she would not be able to care for the infant. With the press this story received, it would probably have been relatively easy to place the infant in an adoptive home. The girl should have carried the baby, under careful monitoring and bedrest, as far as her young body would allow. Then the infant would have had a chance of survival, as well as the girl. It would have been something good that could come out of this horrendous abuse.

The rapist should be executed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I couldn't agree more with all of that, but sometimes children can surprise you in how mature they are.