Church and State, Which "church?"

c.inquisition

Rookie
Aug 2, 2005
Philadelphia
This is one of the reasons that I do moderate my views about religious issues. I don't have a problem with a ten commandments stone at the courthouse, but I do have a problem with nut jobs trying to take over the government. Like this from the NY Post:

"MIKE BLASTS SCIENTOLOGY

By STEFAN C. FRIEDMAN

August 3, 2005 -- Mayor Bloomberg yesterday slammed the Church of Scientology following reports that it pumped big bucks into a councilwoman's campaign for Manhattan borough president.
"I don't think it's real science," Bloomberg said. "Everything I've read about it — and that's not a lot — it doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

The mayor made it clear that he parted ways on Scientology with Manhattan Councilwoman Margarita Lopez, who The Post reported this week pocketed nearly $100,000 in donations from Scientologists.

On the City Council, Lopez steered tax funding to a controversial church-run "detox" program for 9/11 workers...."

Full Story - http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/51380.htm

Irritating, at best. Fundamentally screwed up, at normal. Ragingly dangerous, at worst. A good reason to promote an entirely secular state?

your view on the "Church of Scientology"? Personally I find them to be a cult run by Hollywood actors...They amuse me to say the least!...Don't much care for them!

archangel said:
your view on the "Church of Scientology"? Personally I find them to be a cult run by Hollywood actors...They amuse me to say the least!...Don't much care for them!

They're a church in the same way that I am the supreme being, which is to say that they are not a church. But the point is a simple one, I have no problem with them saying that they are a church. I have a problem with tax dollars supporting them. Better to support none than all? That is my question.

c.inquisition said:
They're a church in the same way that I am the supreme being, which is to say that they are not a church. But the point is a simple one, I have no problem with them saying that they are a church. I have a problem with tax dollars supporting them. Better to support none than all? That is my question.

You have a problem with their tax exempt status as a so called church...if so we are in agreement!

archangel said:
You have a problem with their tax exempt status as a so called church...if so we are in agreement!

Churches should be taxed the same as every other part of the entertainment business.
:piss2:

c.inquisition said:
I personally hate taxes. How about we tax nobody and let the churches fend for themselves? :poop:

Sign me up! There are too many f*&^%*^%ing taxes. But while we are getting socked so should the churches. Religion is not what it was when the founding fathers started this country. It has commercialized itself to the point that it can't be distinguished from any other business, including pro wrestling.

nucular said:
Sign me up! There are too many f*&^%*^%ing taxes. But while we are getting socked so should the churches. Religion is not what it was when the founding fathers started this country. It has commercialized itself to the point that it can't be distinguished from any other business, including pro wrestling.

During the time of the FF religion had a huge influence on your life. You literally could live or die according to the edicts of the church. I like it today, if Pro Wrestling gets annoying, I can change the channel.

They should tax churches like everyone else. I can't think of one rational reason not to. I'm open to different ideas about it but I don't see the point of them getting tax exempt status. Do you realize how much tax money you could generate from this?

Forum List

Back