Chuck Schumer fighting republican backed bill allowing cell phone calls.

ok... I'm confused...

You are against the use of automated systems to call cell phones, right?

HR 3035 'continues' the previous prohibition of automated systems calling cell phones.

What am I missing here? How would continuing the prohibition allow MORE cell phone calls from telemarketers and such?

It's a "cute" workaround.

H.R. 3035 would modernize the TCPA by:
- Exempting informational calls from the restriction on auto-dialer and
artificial/prerecorded voice calls to wireless numbers;

you're 'assuming' that companies will try to argue that an informational call (hi, someone may have breached your account, Mr. Sallow) can be used to sell something (hi, someone may have breached your account, Mr. Sallow... oh, btw, would you like a time share in Vegas, cheap?) as long as the main purpose was informational.

I think you're stretching it a tad.
How about, "Hello Ms CON$ervative, I have some INFORMATION on a product you might be interested in."

http://www.boo.net/~rarnold/firesign/sounds/CleanCar.WAV
"...if you're Mr. Common Sense, you won't believe me..."
Firesign Theater

For folks who have plans where they have to pay for each incoming call, this bill would be a good idea.

For those who don't have to worry about it, take care of it yourself with the Do Not Call list.

I registered for the "Do Not Call" list and still got calls. And when I got calls from humans I asked them why I was getting calls if I was registered..and they replied that it took months for them to get names..or some other lame ass excuse.

In any case, we get bombarded with advertising on TV, in Movies, in the mail, on billboards and many other places. One can't one thing...a service you PAY for..be exempt from that bullshit?

Eh?

It's a "cute" workaround.

you're 'assuming' that companies will try to argue that an informational call (hi, someone may have breached your account, Mr. Sallow) can be used to sell something (hi, someone may have breached your account, Mr. Sallow... oh, btw, would you like a time share in Vegas, cheap?) as long as the main purpose was informational.

I think you're stretching it a tad.
How about, "Hello Ms CON$ervative, I have some INFORMATION on a product you might be interested in."

http://www.boo.net/~rarnold/firesign/sounds/CleanCar.WAV
"...if you're Mr. Common Sense, you won't believe me..."
Firesign Theater

that's not an informational call, that's a sales call.

INFORMATIONAL calls are calls like...
'Hello, Ed? This is CitiBank. It appears someone has just charged $34,000 to your Visa account from Belgium, and it was flagged as suspicious by our automated security systems. Was this a legitimate charge of yours?"
I'd have to research more, or you can, but I believe the term 'informational' is defined in the bill someplace.

How bizarre is it that there probably isn't one rightwing nut on this board who wants to get his cellphone bombarded with telemarketing calls, but most of them will turn around and support this just because the Democrats oppose it.

You people are mentally deranged.

Yeap the old habits die hard with the real entrenched hacks.

The softening Marc posted of doesnt reach some.

They will scratch and claw at anyone about anything if there is a D label on it.

In any case, we get bombarded with advertising on TV, in Movies, in the mail, on billboards and many other places. [why] can't one thing...a service you PAY for..be exempt from that bullshit?

Eh?

Because corporations own government.

And the irony is the right accuses the left of having too much trust in government, the left accuses the right of having too much trust in corporations, and the reality is both sides have too much trust in the same damn thing.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

How bizarre is it that there probably isn't one rightwing nut on this board who wants to get his cellphone bombarded with telemarketing calls, but most of them will turn around and support this just because the Democrats oppose it.

You people are mentally deranged.

Yeap the old habits die hard with the real entrenched hacks.

The softening Marc posted of doesnt reach some.

They will scratch and claw at anyone about anything if there is a D label on it.

Like you don;t do that to anything with an R after it? Please.

For folks who have plans where they have to pay for each incoming call, this bill would be a good idea.

For those who don't have to worry about it, take care of it yourself with the Do Not Call list.

I registered for the "Do Not Call" list and still got calls. And when I got calls from humans I asked them why I was getting calls if I was registered..and they replied that it took months for them to get names..or some other lame ass excuse.

In any case, we get bombarded with advertising on TV, in Movies, in the mail, on billboards and many other places. One can't one thing...a service you PAY for..be exempt from that bullshit?

Eh?
Since limited government is part of the foundation of my political beliefs, as I said (and as the Founders designed), laws are supposed to limit the least number of individuals as possible while still protecting the few who are being oppressed.

So, I'm sure our legislators who are rarely at a loss for words (exclude Perry ;)) can write a law as our Founders intended them to be written - to restrict the fewest number of individuals as possible while protecting the minority from being oppressed.

In any case, we get bombarded with advertising on TV, in Movies, in the mail, on billboards and many other places. [why] can't one thing...a service you PAY for..be exempt from that bullshit?

Eh?

And the irony is the right accuses the left of having too much trust in government, the left accuses the right of having too much trust in corporations, and the reality is both sides have too much trust in the same damn thing.

It's an incremental thing. The right is whole hog for corporations, the left is 3/4 hog for corporations but saves 1/4 hog for everyone else.

1/4 hog for me is better then none.

Eh?
Since limited government is part of the foundation of my political beliefs, as I said (and as the Founders designed), laws are supposed to limit the least number of individuals as possible while still protecting the few who are being oppressed.

So, I'm sure our legislators who are rarely at a loss for words (exclude Perry ;)) can write a law as our Founders intended them to be written - to restrict the fewest number of individuals as possible while protecting the minority from being oppressed.

What?

Try flooding a corporation with messages. Seriously..try it. (No seriously don't, you'd wind up in jail)

There are real live laws against an indivdual doing just that.

Eh?

It's an incremental thing. The right is whole hog for corporations, the left is 3/4 hog for corporations but saves 1/4 hog for everyone else.

Hog? :eusa_eh:

Who said anything specifically about WillowTree? :confused:

Eh?
My cell is on the do not call list and I still get robo calls. Nonprofits are exempt, so a "nonprofit" calls to "inform" me that there is a program to help me with my mortgage. The "nonprofit" then refers me to for profit lawyers. Needless to say I don't have a mortgage, I own my house free and clear, but that hasn't stopped them from wasting my monthly minutes.

Hog? :eusa_eh:

Who said anything specifically about WillowTree? :confused:

That's not funny.

Wait..yeah it is! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is there anything republicans do that isn't just plain evil? :evil:

United States Senator Charles Schumer, Of New York, Trying To Block Mobile Information Call Act From Allowing Telemarketers To Call Cell Phones « CBS New York

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Sen. Charles Schumer says he’ll do everything he can stop a bill in the House of Representatives that would allow telemarketers to flood personal cell phones.

“There’s nothing more intrusive than telemarketers calling in the middle of dinner or when you’re in the middle of a heavy conversation with somebody,” Schumer says.

I got rid of my land line because of telemarketers and robocalls.
OK. I don't understand why the press reported that this bill would allow telemarketers to call cell phones. That is not true.

H.R. 3035

(a) In General- Section 227(b)(1)(A) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(1)(A)) is amended to read as follows:

‘(A) to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with the prior express consent of the called party) using any automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice--

‘(i) to any emergency telephone line (including any ‘911’ line and any emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service office, health care facility, poison control center, or fire protection or law enforcement agency);

‘(ii) to the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of a hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar establishment;

‘(iii) to any telephone number assigned to a paging service; or

‘(iv) to any telephone number assigned to a cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call, unless the call is made for a commercial purpose that does not constitute a telephone solicitation;’.

(b) Conforming Amendment- Section 227(b)(2)(C) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(2)(C)) is amended by striking ‘paragraph (1)(A)(iii)’ and inserting ‘paragraph (1)(A)(iv)’.

(c) Technical Correction- Section 227(b)(1) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(1)) is amended by striking ‘It shall’ and all that follows through ‘United States--’ and inserting the following: ‘It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or any person outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States--’.​

So, what is the problem? Telemarketers still will not be able to call your cell phone.

United States Senator Charles Schumer, Of New York, Trying To Block Mobile Information Call Act From Allowing Telemarketers To Call Cell Phones « CBS New York

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Sen. Charles Schumer says he’ll do everything he can stop a bill in the House of Representatives that would allow telemarketers to flood personal cell phones.

“There’s nothing more intrusive than telemarketers calling in the middle of dinner or when you’re in the middle of a heavy conversation with somebody,” Schumer says.

OK. I don't understand why the press reported that this bill would allow telemarketers to call cell phones. That is not true.

H.R. 3035

(a) In General- Section 227(b)(1)(A) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(1)(A)) is amended to read as follows:

‘(A) to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with the prior express consent of the called party) using any automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice--

‘(i) to any emergency telephone line (including any ‘911’ line and any emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service office, health care facility, poison control center, or fire protection or law enforcement agency);

‘(ii) to the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of a hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar establishment;

‘(iv) to any telephone number assigned to a cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call, unless the call is made for a commercial purpose that does not constitute a telephone solicitation;’.

(b) Conforming Amendment- Section 227(b)(2)(C) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(2)(C)) is amended by striking ‘paragraph (1)(A)(iii)’ and inserting ‘paragraph (1)(A)(iv)’.

(c) Technical Correction- Section 227(b)(1) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 227(b)(1)) is amended by striking ‘It shall’ and all that follows through ‘United States--’ and inserting the following: ‘It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or any person outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States--’.​

So, what is the problem? Telemarketers still will not be able to call your cell phone.

The left needs something to lie about. They have nothing else.

H.R. 3035

The left needs something to lie about. They have nothing else.
I even bought into it, then it just kept getting fishier, so I checked.

I can understand blatant lies in reporting from HuffPo and others, but this is from CBS.

NO journalists can ever be trusted. I guess that's because real journalism is dead.

H.R. 3035

Because it would. If it would not..why change the law?

Should Democrats even be allowed to own cell phones? They seem to be incapable of making any real choices or taking any real action or responsibility.

Forum List

Back