Chubby people live longest: Japan study

In present conditions. There was a day and an age when living past 40 was miraculous; penicillin changed all that, and the next element of scientific and medical developments will change the human lifespan as we conceptualize it.

By avoiding obesity we can extend our life span and find ways to enjoy it longer

We all (OK, almost all of us) have the ability to maximize our enjoyment of life after 60, 70, even into the 80's.

When I quit my career of active physical work, I let myself become obese by the body-mass-index standards. Several problems developed which I monitored and corrected:: An obese person probably is more likely to snore, and get sleep apnea, with all the breathing problems and consequences of that.

People with sleep apnea may wake up hundreds of times during their sleep period because they are gasping for a breath because of obstructive breathing. Obstructive sleep apnea can cause low night time blood oxygen saturation levels, which may be a risk for cardiac death. Since their breathing stops temporarily, they are not getting enough oxygen. Their heart beats faster to compensate for their oxygen starved condition. Eventually this will lead to heart failure, or congestive heart failure. And you don't have to be "elderly" to suffer from this.

For at least 15 years I've kept a small blood pressure/heart rate monitor on my desk, and I record my readings in a small log book; so I had good records over a long period of time. But I failed to keep up with that for several years, and when I did check I found that my at rest heart beat was close to 100 bpm, when it should've been about 60 or less at my age. Just consider the limited work life your heart probably has to appreciate the implications of a heart beating 66% more times than normal for you. An elevated heart beat also is a higher base rate to begin from so that it goes up quicker from that base and stays elevated longer afterwards.

I went to a sleep clinic, and had all the tests. My oxygen absorption level when I was "sleeping" was very low, down around only 50%. A test showed that when climbing a stair in my own home 95 to 97 percent was possible.

I got the sleep apnea equipment (CPAP) and everything improved, but my at rest hearbeat stayed high. I hated the CPAP mask, and found that I would wake up many times during the night because it caused sweating, came loose, and of course it has its own noisy air flow which if aimed at your bed partner keeps them awake; not a good thing.

I had to do better, and that meant I had to dispense with the CPAP Machine.
I lost 40 pounds, got myself a very thick pillow so that lying on my back became much less comfortable because my neck was bent uncomfortably with the pillow - snoring is aggravated by sleeping on the back - and I got a small hard pillow to place between my knees. That was because as some of us get older bones pressing against bones is painful, which for me had a tendency to cause me to roll onto my back to reduce their painful contact, causing snoring. I found that I could subconsciously keep that pillow pressed between my knees. I also found that I snored much less on my left side than on my right side, but that meant I would face my wife while sleeping during the night. To fix that problem we changed the sides of the bed we've slept on after all those many years.

Since taking these measures my heart beat has slowed to less than 60 beats pm, and my resting blood pressure is down around 118/70 or lower:: After push mowing for an hour in the 90º outside heat my heart beat is 145 (2.4 times normal) and bp 95/59. Activity is enjoyable, and if a person doesn't have a heart or respiratory defect probably healthy for you.

Simply by breathing deeply - and we tend to breath more deeply in any kind of physical activity - we can lower our blood pressure. Get a blood pressure monitor and test this. As we age and become ever more sedentary, we tend to not breath very deeply, for the most part breathing very shallowly from the upper part of our chest cavity. By practicing deep breathing every time you notice shallow breathing, you can lower your systolic and diastolic pressures by 20 percent in less than a minute for temporary periods; but those periods can be extended and become normal if some discipline is practiced.

One downside: cardiac arrest will probably be the quickest and least painful manner of death, and by having one you can avoid death by cancer or a paralyzing stroke.

One comment about having a too cavalier attitude about dismissing the enjoyment of life after any certain “elder age”: It is dangerous to take the attitude that older people don’t enjoy life, and that it’s not worth living. The reason is, if enough of the population believe that to be the case, there will be a good reason to find a way to get them out of the way as an inconvenience, duplicating the attitude for the very young. The cheapest healthcare for the elderly is death, by denying them healthcare.

Last edited:
lol Some good news, as I'm a lil bit chubby ( could lose about 20 lbs , darn beer and good eating ), but you know what ? It's all genetic and the roll of the dice. Some folks are fitness freaks who die at 51 of a heart attack, some are obese who live to be 90. I say if you're comfortable with yourself and you're having a happy life, live it.

lol Some good news, as I'm a lil bit chubby ( could lose about 20 lbs , darn beer and good eating ), but you know what ? It's all genetic and the roll of the dice. Some folks are fitness freaks who die at 51 of a heart attack, some are obese who live to be 90. I say if you're comfortable with yourself and you're having a happy life, live it.

That is absolutely true.

Just like sex, the mind is the ultimate determiner of these things.

If you're happy you're doing it right, no matter what the MSM or anyone else says. Die happy and you win, period.

I can't see living past 25. I don't know what will take me out... car crash, chronic alcoholism, combat death (yes, I'm still looking at joining up), or something else.... but when I arrive at the pearly gates I expect they will say, "Damn girl, you really took it to the limit, come inside". That's a bit of a fantasy tho, because I don't think God will accept me. I hope that if I get a chance I can talk to God and explain all of it. I think if I got that chance then maybe... just maybe I could stay in heaven. I never did anything to hurt anyone, but I am a sinner for sure. I think God could see inside my heart and know who I am. And maybe he would see fit to let me stay. I have no illusions tho... I don't think with what I'e done God will want me around. I could prolly use eternal damnation to purify my soul.

Yep, I'm wavering on if there is a God or not. But if there is, I think he'd give you a shot to explain yourself. Just be like "Hey , I fucked up here and there, but all in all I was a decent person, great parent, great etc etc etc, plus I know how to throw a hell of a party! And I know where the best sammich shops are !".

Forum List

Back