Chronic Homelessness Dips Under Bush

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
I figured that if all the bad news can be dumped on the doorstep of this administration (and I've dumped my share there), then good news should rest with them as well.

Any time the number of homeless is reduced and they transition to a more stable existence, I believe that is good news. Though I do wonder how accurate the numbers are, it has to be a bitch and a half to count them.

Chronic Homelessness Takes Dip in 2005
Nov 7 03:27 PM US/Eastern
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The number of people who are chronically homeless dropped by nearly 12 percent from 2005 to 2006, according to government estimates being released Wednesday.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development credited government programs designed to move homeless people into permanent housing.

"HUD and local communities are increasingly providing permanent housing solutions and breaking a vicious cycle of homelessness for those who have lived on the streets as a way of life," HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson said in a statement.

HUD says people are chronically homeless if they have been continuously living on the streets for a year or more, or if they have been homeless at least four times in the past three years. They also have to have a disability, often mental illness or substance abuse.

The number of chronically homeless people dropped from 175,900 in 2005 to 155,600 in 2006, according to data collected by HUD from about 3,900 cities and counties.

Earlier this year, HUD estimated there were a total of 754,000 homeless people on a given night in January 2005. The overall estimate for 2006 is expected early next year.

The homeless are notoriously difficult to count, though HUD started requiring housing agencies to try in 2005. The agencies are required to count their local homeless populations every other year, though about 60 percent do it annually.

The 2006 estimate for people who were chronically homeless was based on annual data from agencies that conduct the counts each year.

Many cities had declines. New York went from 7,002 in 2005 to 6,503 in HUD reported. In Miami-Dade County, Fla., the number dropped from 831 in 2005 to 577 the following year. In Washington, D.C., the number increased from 1,773 to 1,891, though city officials told HUD they believed the change was caused in part by better counting methods.

Advocates for the homeless said they expected a decrease on the national level, given the government's increasing emphasis on permanent housing instead of temporary shelters.

"In the past few years, there has been a significant investment in ending chronic homelessness, both in time and resources," said Mary Cunningham, director of the Homelessness Research Institute at the National Alliance to End Homelessness.

"Communities across the country are really working hard on this issue," she said. "It would be a major disappointment if the numbers were not going down."

HUD has been shifting resources from emergency shelters to transitional and permanent housing for years. The number of emergency shelter beds dropped by 35 percent from 1996 to 2005, to 217,900.

Meanwhile, the number of beds in permanent housing for the homeless increased by 83 percent, to 208,700.

HUD spent $287 million last year on programs that serve people who are chronically homeless, creating 4,000 permanent housing units, the agency said.

Bush policies lead to fewer homeless

I love that it is 'chronic' homelessness as opposed to just regular old homelessness. What BS. Is the AP owned by Murdock or the Moonies now?

I figured that if all the bad news can be dumped on the doorstep of this administration (and I've dumped my share there), then good news should rest with them as well.

Any time the number of homeless is reduced and they transition to a more stable existence, I believe that is good news. Though I do wonder how accurate the numbers are, it has to be a bitch and a half to count them.

So, HJ, you're just as willing to dump this on the admin's doorstep, too, right?

WASHINGTON - Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, though they are only 11 percent of the general adult population, according to a report to be released Thursday.

And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans. Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job.

The Veterans Affairs Department has identified 1,500 homeless veterans from the current wars and says 400 of them have participated in its programs specifically targeting homelessness.

The National Alliance to End Homelessness, a public education nonprofit, based the findings of its report on numbers from Veterans Affairs and the Census Bureau. 2005 data estimated that 194,254 homeless people out of 744,313 on any given night were veterans.

In comparison, the VA says that 20 years ago, the estimated number of veterans who were homeless on any given night was 250,000.

Some advocates say the early presence of veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan at shelters does not bode well for the future. It took roughly a decade for the lives of Vietnam veterans to unravel to the point that they started showing up among the homeless. Advocates worry that intense and repeated deployments leave newer veterans particularly vulnerable.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071108/ap_on_re_us/homeless_veterans;_ylt=AhqIt.sWrqz4Smbc4p73DvFH2ocA

And how do libs help the homeless? By giving them shopping carts and information on proper dumpster dining

I swear I saw rumsfeild on 8th st yesterday, I think he was panhandling ,he had a sign saying "work wanted will murder your children for food and oil"

abd what does that have to do with the homeless? You seek treatment for your Bush Derangement Syndrome

Topping Nixon, Bush disapproval soars to highest level ever recorded in Gallup poll

Raw Story | November 8, 2007

For the first time, George W. Bush has surpassed Richard M. Nixon in unpopularity in the Gallup Poll, receiving the highest "strongly disapprove" rating for a president in Gallup's history.

The little noticed statistic -- publicly noted on Gallup's poll writeup -- made a single headline in Google News. The story, at Editor and Publisher, was titled "GALLUP: Bush Finally Tops Nixon -- In Unpopularity -- As Call for Iraq Pullout Hits New Peak."

Gallup details Bush's falling numbers in a series of graphs that appear below. They note that Bush's "strongly disapprove" rating is the highest Gallup has ever measured for a US president, though the category is not polled in every survey.

"Gallup has followed its classic job approval measure with this ?strongly? probe on only an intermittent basis over the years, so it is important to note that the historical context is fairly limited," the pollsters note. "Additionally, other variations in polling over the years make comparisons of this measure inexact. Still, it is worth noting that the current 50% ?strongly disapprove? figure for Bush is as high as Gallup has ever measured. (A February 1974 poll showed Richard Nixon's strongly disapprove number at 48%, statistically equivalent to Bush's current reading on this measure.)"

On Feb. 6, 1974, the House voted to authorize the Judiciary Committee to investigate grounds for impeaching President Nixon; in March of that year, seven of Nixon's former staff were indicted for Watergate-related crimes.

Nixon resigned the presidency August 9, 1974.

Topping Nixon, Bush disapproval soars to highest level ever recorded in Gallup poll

For the first time, George W. Bush has surpassed Richard M. Nixon in unpopularity in the Gallup Poll, receiving the highest "strongly disapprove" rating for a president in Gallup's history.

The little noticed statistic -- publicly noted on Gallup's poll writeup -- made a single headline in Google News. The story, at Editor and Publisher, was titled "GALLUP: Bush Finally Tops Nixon -- In Unpopularity -- As Call for Iraq Pullout Hits New Peak."

Gallup details Bush's falling numbers in a series of graphs that appear below. They note that Bush's "strongly disapprove" rating is the highest Gallup has ever measured for a US president, though the category is not polled in every survey.

"Gallup has followed its classic job approval measure with this ?strongly? probe on only an intermittent basis over the years, so it is important to note that the historical context is fairly limited," the pollsters note. "Additionally, other variations in polling over the years make comparisons of this measure inexact. Still, it is worth noting that the current 50% ?strongly disapprove? figure for Bush is as high as Gallup has ever measured. (A February 1974 poll showed Richard Nixon's strongly disapprove number at 48%, statistically equivalent to Bush's current reading on this measure.)"

On Feb. 6, 1974, the House voted to authorize the Judiciary Committee to investigate grounds for impeaching President Nixon; in March of that year, seven of Nixon's former staff were indicted for Watergate-related crimes.

Out of curiosity, just what the hell does this have to do with the topic of this thread? :wtf: :confused:

And yet he still stands head and shoulders above the approval ratings for Congress.

We still hate the dems more.

And yet he still stands head and shoulders above the approval ratings for Congress.

We still hate the dems more.

Er.. no, it's cause they haven't done what they were supposed to do, which is shut down GWB... but they aren't veto proof so people are ticked off.

So I figure they still hate Bush more. ;o)

slightly half of congress is still republican anyway...

yes, BRING that up next year....

slightly half of congress is still republican anyway...

yes, BRING that up next year....

What the hell is slightly half? Is that gobbledygook for less than half? In which case...what difference does it make?

Congress is controlled by the dems, and the people think it's the most worthless congress in the history of congress in the US. And it's because all their energy has been spent trying to damage the administration, instead of actually getting anything done for the people.

I was about to pounce on you for not being able to put 2 and 2 together but.. you ARE that gal who kept having problems posting sources that didn't say what you claimed they did so i'll go ahead and let it slide..

:eusa_whistle:

What does it matter? Really? hehehehe...

Every time you point out the approval rating for congress I'll be around to remind you that slightly less than half of both houses are chock full of republicans... While you try to lay blame on dems I'll be right behind you giving out reminders that just slightly less than half of who you are talking shit on are, in fact, republicans..

So, yes, bring that up next election season. It's going to be fun watching your kind scramble away from the last 8 years of your, uh, "MANDATE"..

:rofl:

ps, you hardly speak for "people" unless you want to provide a... uh, source...

:lol:

Forum List

Back