Christopher Hitchens Spitting Venom At The Pope And Vatican

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Apr 3, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    And on a few points (vietnam, cardinal law, vatican interference in american democracy) he is correct to an extent.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I disagree with the point about interference in American Democracy and do not understand the Vietnam reference. On Cardinal Law, I agree.

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    He shouldn't lump all Christian faiths with Catholicism. There are many of faith that do not agree with Catholic doctrine. Notice how he insinuates that all people of faith follow the same guidelines.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    How much of this laxity on the death penalty has to do with Vatican interference and pressure?

And on Vietnam, I believe he is referring to the questionable US support of that country's tiny Catholic minority as the dominant party in South Vietnemese politics and national leadership.

I do not like how he lumps the faiths together, but this is Hitchens, and he manages to make a lot of people love and hate him at the same time by being both incredibly honest and shamefully dishonest on different points in the same essay.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do not mind Hitchens, though I don't always agree with him. Some got the mistaken notion that he is conservative, never has been.

The Church teaches what is teaches, life is important. At conception, birth, and death. They use all the trappings of the state they are, from diplomats to charasmatic leaders when they can get them. If that influences the death penalty, so be it. Would be pretty hard to fathom though, since the Republicans are in control and they are overwhelmingly for it.

On Vietnam, well again, the Church will back Catholic/Christian over atheists, Buddhists, or whatever. That's their job.

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    He has a few point, but they're hard to pick out from amongst the BS.

This guy certainly is rather free with his interpretation of the facts. Wonder if he moonlights at the DNC?

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The DNC hates him because he was a "liberal" who attacked Clinton's dishonesty on Lewinski and other issues.

He does tend to be loose with the facts, but usually makes some good points.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I've seen him make some good points on the WoT, the WMD situation in Iraq, etc. that seem to get him in trouble with liberals. He just seems to have a real issue with people of faith. Much like Maureen Dowd seems to have issues with men. Who knows, maybe somebody he was close to was very religious but also did some bad things to him so now he hates anything even closely resembling religion.