Christopher Columbus achieved great things and will never be forgotten...

Columbus needs to be looked at from a 1500 perspective

Natives were considered to be savages no better than animals. They were treated accordingly

Columbus was no worse than any of his contemporaries. I do not see many people of his day standing up for the rights of native people
American Indians were Americas original slaveowners. Dip shit

Natives were considered to be savages no better than animals. They were treated accordingly

Columbus was no worse than any of his contemporaries. I do not see many people of his day standing up for the rights of native people

I don't think we need to celebrate people because murder and slavery was considered okay when they were doing it.

There were those who didn't agree with Columbus's methods- which is why he ended up going back to Spain in chains.
That is who we are

We descended from a civilization that considered their values and religion superior to any other.

Frankly, it took us 450 years to move past those views

To look back at Columbus with a sense of superiority, we are kidding ourselves
It doesn’t matter...

He didn't discover anything..people were already here, they walked from Asia and Sailed from other parts way before Columbus.
I think it's time to recognize the real history of this land as did the kiwis in New Zealand with the Maories.

roflmao, you are a fucking idiot.

Columbus discovered the celestial navigational bearings to travel to and from the old world and new world.

For Jumpin Jack Jimminy's sake grow a fucking brain.
Columbus and Celestial Navigation

Although Columbus was primarily a dead reckoning navigator, he did experiment with celestial navigation techniques from time to time. However, these experiments were usually unsuccessful -- and in some cases, actually fraudulent.

Columbus was from Genoa, one of the leading Mediterranean ports, and he must have learned his dead reckoning navigation from Genoese pilots. But he had spent time in Portugal, and was aware of all the new ideas in navigation, including celestial navigation. So on his first voyage he made at least five separate attempts to measure his latitude using celestial methods. Not one of these attempts was successful, in part because of bad luck, and in part because of Columbus's own ignorance of celestial techniques and tools.

In 1498, Columbus sailed from Spain with six ships of supplies for the settlers on Hispaniola. This is the only voyage on which Columbus made regular and serious attempts at celestial navigation. However, the results he obtained were still quite poor, even by the standards of his day.

History of navigation - Wikipedia

Islamic geography and navigational sciences made use of a magnetic compass and a rudimentary instrument known as a kamal, used for celestial navigation and for measuring the altitudes and latitudes of the stars. The kamal itself was simple to construct. It was a rectangular piece of either bone or wood which had a string with 9 consecutive knots attached to it. Another instrument available, developed by the Arabs as well, was the quadrant. Also a celestial navigation device, it was originally developed for astronomy and later transitioned to navigation

"Columbus needs to be looked at from a 1500 perspective"

Good luck trying to convince any of your fellow libs of that.

Forum List

Back