Christmas.

is christmas a religious holiday or non-religious

• yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't yes or no the question.

Christmas is whatever you want it to be.

Jesus was not actually born on Christmas day as we observe it so religious observance of that day is really rather silly.

Christmas was a pagan holiday long before anyone ever heard of Jesus where decorating trees, raucous behavior and the giving of gifts were the customs.

I am an atheist who loves Christmas because it is what I say it is which is a time to reflect on the prior year and plan for the next; a time to think about my family and to appreciate them and a time to wish others well.

How do you respond to this stupid poll?

It makes no sense

It is for the Christians

For me, it is a time to drink lots of rum-spiked egg nog, sing very ancient songs and perform many pagan rituals like kissing under the missletoe or giving gifts to relatives that piss me off.

Yep--I guess you can call that a ritual, so I guess Christmas is a form of religious practice to a non-believer like me!!

Always with the absolutes like a Sith.

Christmas is both religious and non religious. It started out as various pagan midwinter festivals and was co-opted by Christians to gain support in their church.

You need a both option in the poll.

I guess it depends on how you celebrate it. Do you go to church and pray, honor Jesus, etc or do you go to Wal-Mart and buy lots of cheap plastic crap from China covered in lead paint?

Personally since I dont give a shit about Jesus its a totally non religious holiday for me and I buy lots of cheap plastic shit and electronics. However, the biggest benefit for me happens to be that my family gets together so I get to see them all and eat a lot of really good food.

Last edited:
For me it's the celebration of the birth of Christ and getting to play a Wiseman by giving gifts. It's a two-fer.

Forum List

Back