Christmas urban legends, truths, and such.

I think it's amusing that modern christians are so quick to defend christmas, when earlier christians were quick to condemn it as a pagan holiday (which it is). I believe it was the puritans who outlawed the celebration of christmas, and it wasn't widely observed until large numbers of German immigrants started showing up in the mid 1800's. Modern "fundamentalists" are generally quick to condemn the pagan roots of halloween and roman catholicism, but then turn around and ignore the roots of christmas. There are a few notable exceptions, however.

BaronVonBigmeat said:
I think it's amusing that modern christians are so quick to defend christmas, when earlier christians were quick to condemn it as a pagan holiday (which it is). I believe it was the puritans who outlawed the celebration of christmas, and it wasn't widely observed until large numbers of German immigrants started showing up in the mid 1800's. Modern "fundamentalists" are generally quick to condemn the pagan roots of halloween and roman catholicism, but then turn around and ignore the roots of christmas. There are a few notable exceptions, however.

First off, I found that site 6 years ago when I stumbled across their argument on why C.S. Lewis was evil.

Second, I don't really care about the pagan roots of the Christian holidays. They were adopted by the early church in order to accomidate those they were trying to reach. The events that they celebrate are purely Chrisitan. It's the time they're celebrated and a few of the decorations that create the conflict, and now, only All Saints' Day has lost its Christian meaning with most of the public.

Now, one thing I can't STAND, though, is when secularists use the "pagan roots" bullcrap to try to convince us that the death of Christmas isn't such a bad thing. I mean, they crap all over Christians in general and then tell us they're doing us a *favor*. It's remeniscent of the "what would Jesus drive" argument. The liberals crap all over anything that has Christ in it, then tell us that it's what Jesus would want. Pure bullcrap. Ok, I'm done with my rant.

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem

Forum List

Back