Christmas Shopping for Teenagers

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Ok. So I finally got lists from my kids (17 and 20) and went out last night. Kid #1 has champagne tastes and asked for about $1000 worth of merchandise. (he claims they are only ideas; he doesn't expect everything). Kid #2 asked for: shirts, pants, socks, underwear, and world peace.

How do I make this fair? I've been wracking my brain over this. He needs a new cell phone; but he claims his is "just fine".

Any cool ideas for a 17 year old? Cash? World peace? :confused:

kid 1 has balls asking for a grand worth of stuff.....he would get a 100 bucks and then kid 2....would get a cell phone and a 100 bucks

Good idea, Bones ... I hear where you're coming from!

You know what your shopping budget is. What is the price of the least expensive item on son's list and spend the same amount on the other son. Alternatively, decide what amount you can spend and stay within that amount.

I'm assuming the age 20 son is in college - unless he's working to help with the cost of his education (his "needs,") maybe he could work and save up the money for his "wants." There's something positive in working for something and paying for it yourself. He's going to have to do that at some point in his life.

I think making Christmas gifts some kind of object lesson isn't such a good idea.

You asked the kid what he wanted, and he gave you a wish list.

Okay it wasn't so smart of him, but still...?(he claims they are only ideas; he doesn't expect everything). "

He's a kid, give him a break.

Ok. So I finally got lists from my kids (17 and 20) and went out last night. Kid #1 has champagne tastes and asked for about $1000 worth of merchandise. (he claims they are only ideas; he doesn't expect everything). Kid #2 asked for: shirts, pants, socks, underwear, and world peace.

How do I make this fair? I've been wracking my brain over this. He needs a new cell phone; but he claims his is "just fine".

Any cool ideas for a 17 year old? Cash? World peace? :confused:

Pick a few things off the list and get the other one a cell and cash. Make it even.

Christmas is getting expensive but I really like it when they give you ideas. I give my daughter ideas and at the bottom of the list I say "or whatever you decide, I've always found your gifts to be so thoughtful".

I think making Christmas gifts some kind of object lesson isn't such a good idea.

Okay it wasn't so smart of him, but still...?(he claims they are only ideas; he doesn't expect everything). "

he is 20...when did 20 become a 'kid'?

I agree Sarah. I like lists. And my kids get gifts from grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, etc. so a bigger list is easier to share.

Kid #1 isn't totally selfish. He spent some time in Uganda and asked for a couple gifts for a friend and a student there. The tough thing is that postage is so damn expensive.

It's kid#2 that is so damn difficult. Even the music he listens to is tough. He's into obscure alternative Jersey bands that don't even have albums out.

I'm thinking about a Visa check card instead of the cash. This way he can buy some music and concert tix on line. Some of these have ridiculous service charges though. Any experience with a good one?

Thanks all for your feedback.

He'll be MY KID til the day I die bones! :lol:

He's in college and has a job. He just likes expensive things. He's a singer/songwriter and likes to record with all the best equipment. This year he asked for a mandolin amongst other things. What the heck is that? :lol:

my 28 yr old ask for an xbox...and called and told me where the best deal on it was....it was 218.00 bucks....i thought that was a wee bit nervey of him. but that is all he ask for

and 20 is not a kid

A 26 year old is a "kid" according to the HC law!

The funny thing is that he's never been a "real kid" First born on both sides and arguing politics at five. Arranged his trip to Africa at 19 on his own. But he's still my baby. Lol

Mandolins are generally very pricey (for a decent one), and are considered to be one of the toughest, if not THE TOUGHEST instrument to play. You, and he, would be much happier in that regard if you gave him the cash, or a gift certificate, so that he could pick out the right one for him.

I only WISH I could play a mandolin well. I have made a living with guitars, pianos and banjos before (a long time ago), but the mandolin is reserved for the true masters of fretted instruments.

He's in college and has a job. He just likes expensive things. He's a singer/songwriter and likes to record with all the best equipment. This year he asked for a mandolin amongst other things. What the heck is that? :lol:

A mandolin is usually connected to music of the Appalachians. It's sort of like a guitar but not really - difficult to describe. I'm told they are a difficult instrument to play - but it has a wonderful sound. Try looking it up on the internet.

the guy between the violin and guitar is playing mandolin. (david grisman)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x05z27blg80[/ame]

From you....

Ok. So I finally got lists from my kids (17 and 20) and went out last night. Kid #1

Isn't kid number 1, 17?

Apparently not.

But FWIW, yes 20 is (to me at least) STILL a kid.

Hell, to me, 30 is now STILL a kid.

From you....

Ok. So I finally got lists from my kids (17 and 20) and went out last night. Kid #1

Isn't kid number 1, 17?

Apparently not.

But FWIW, yes 20 is (to me at least) STILL a kid.

Hell, to me, 30 is now STILL a kid.

Kid #1 would be the firstborn. Kid #2 would be the 17 year old, IMO.

Ok I'm checking out mandolins now. Thanks guys I learned something new.

A couple years ago he asked for a ukelele. I thought it was silly, but he takes it with him when he travels. He brought it to Obamas inaugeration and had a huge sing along. Pretty clever I suppose.

Forum List

Back