Christmas memories...

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Think about a past Christmas... Lot of things to remember. For instance:

Do you remember those Christmas trees made out of tin foil that you used a rotating multi-colored light shining on it to give it some color?

Do you remember that spray on snow stuff everybody used to spray on their windows? There were stencils you could use to get things like a reindeer, bells, the words "Merry Christmas" and a whole host of other stuff you had to scrub off your window after Christmas.

How about tinsel you use to put on your Christmas tree. One pack was enough to jam radars if used properly. This stuff had staying power. It was not unusual to find a strand of it in your carpet in July left over from Christmas.

Christmas tree stands that had 3 screws you had to screw into the base of your live Christmas tree. Had to put water in it every day. It worked well until the cat climbed the tree or the day after Christmas - which ever came first.

How about your Christmas stocking you hung up so Santa could fill it with goodies? No matter what size you hung up, 70% of it seemed to be filled with apples and oranges. What's up with that Santa?

There are lots of things to remember. What are some of your Christmas memories?

Last edited:

Do you remember those Christmas trees made out of tin foil that you used a rotating multi-colored light shining on it to give it some color?

Do you remember that spray on snow stuff everybody used to spray on their windows? There were stencils you could use to get things like a reindeer, bells, the words "Merry Christmas" and a whole host of other stuff you had to scrub off your window after Christmas.

How about tinsel you use to put on your Christmas tree. One pack was enough to jam radars if used properly. This stuff had staying power. It was not unusual to find a strand of it in your carpet in July left over from Christmas.

Christmas tree stands that had 3 screws you had to screw into the base of your live Christmas tree. Had to put water in it every day. It worked well until the cat climbed the tree or the day after Christmas - which ever came first.

How about your Christmas stocking you hung up so Santa could fill it with goodies? No matter what size you hung up, 70% of it seemed to be filled with apples and oranges. What's up with that Santa?

I remember all of that stuff. But my dad had two of the rotating lights so that the whole tree had color. He would go crazy trying to get the lights to stay in sync so that we wouldn't have one side red and one side blue.

I never could figure out how we would hang our stockings by the tree and have them replaced by nylon stockings filled with fruit in the morning. But at least Santa remembered my nut allergies, and didn't give me any walnuts.

My aunt had one of those, it was like made out of aluminum foil! LOL! She put red ornaments on it, with the rotating light. Gosh, I forgot about that. We always had the real trees, cut down with my dad. When I asked for an artificial tree my mom said, "They're tacky, do you want to be like Aunt ***?" Umm, her sister. :lol:

Yes to all of the above. Some window stuff in pink can, Oooohhh, Glass Wax! Yep, my mom had to scrub the widows after though. ;) Loved that. Remember the waxy stencils? Candy canes, manger, snowmen...

Tinsel, every year! One year though my dad brought home tinsel with glitter on it! OMG! My mom had a cow!

The 3 screw stands, yep. One year we had a cat. Cat in tree. Tree kept falling down. My dad nailed string to cornices to keep it up. Still got new carpeting that year. Remember to add sugar to water...
Never got fruit, seems my parents connected that with depression. Always toys in stockings, with some Fannie Mae candies, later Frango Mints. (got to be from Chicago probably to know either).

Everything you cited was from when I was a kid. My favorite Christmas memory though is about 26 years old.

My mom still had Christmas at her house, with the extended family, about 25 for sit down dinner. Yeah, big sucker dining room and living room, took up both. She was in her late 60's so I would help after the kids opened their presents and we'd had breakfast-about 9 am. LOL!

That year my daughter turned 4 and that left my husband with the two boys, 2 and 6 months. I took the daughter with me to my mom's. We'd already had the weird experience of her freaking out Santa at Marshall Fields on Christmas Eve. "What would you like little girl?" "I'd be so happy to get every kind of Campbell's soup, except tomato." Should have seen his face!

When he asked if there was anything else? She replied, "Maybe some books, I like the Boxcar stories." Santa was freaking.

A few days before the Santa visit, I went to my friend's home with my SIL, niece, nephews and my 3. A little Christmas party for the kids downstairs and adults/baby, upstairs. My friend gives my niece, 6, some cookies to share. My daughter comes up, "Aunt Barbe! (my friend), Julie has too many cookies and they're eating them!" Barbe replies, "Honey, they are for you kids, go ahead and have them." My daughter, "There's too many, it's bad for us. We should only have 1, but cause of Christmas, maybe two." :eek: I think that's when I realized I might be a bit strict. :lol:

Okay, capper of the year. We get to my mom's. She is making Waldorf salad, my dad is cutting celery and onions for the dressing. There's sausage cooking and the turkey is all prepped on the counter. Darling daughter walks in, looks around, claps her hands and says, "Oh goody! We're having dog for Christmas!" My dad cut himself and my mom couldn't stop laughing!

Last edited:
I remember dressing uo in the costumes and going from house to house with my friends collecting candy I never liked those cheep plastic deals I like the Vampire theme with cool capes and lots of sugar daddies and stuff yeah good memories .

I remember one Christmas .. I got a toy airplane, a hockey stick and a sweater.. etc.

My older brother squished my toy airplane, broke my ice hockey stick and made fun of my sweater.

I have no idea how I ended up being optimist...:lol:

I remember one Christmas .. I got a toy airplane, a hockey stick and a sweater.. etc.

My older brother squished my toy airplane, broke my ice hockey stick and made fun of my sweater.

I have no idea how I ended up being optimist...:lol:

There weren't any good options after that Christmas.

My option was learn to laugh or I suppose cry..

The trouble was if I cried my father would say, "Stop crying or I'll give you a Good reason to cry"..

Aint had any fond Christmas memories, or really done Christmas like that since I was like 15-16 ('01-'02)

Last good one I can remember was when pops bought us an N64 for Christmas, twas cutting edge then mind yall. I lost it. Star Wars Rogue Squadron, 1st video game I really played, been an avid gamer ever since. Perfect Christmas atmosphere, snowed if I remember correctly, etc.

Relations with my "family" pretty much died when they all found out I'm gay, except for my middle brother.

So Christmas is whatever now pretty much.....

Last edited:
Mostly I remember new years, as that was the day we burnt the tree in the fireplace.

it had been in the house for three weeks by then, and my dad put it in branch by branch.

When the branch caught fire it caught all at once with a nice woumph and a heat wave you could watch flash across the floor.

My mom hated this part of christmas, and insisted on the plastic tree year after year.

My mom had a small mirror shoud would put skating snowmen on.

And we made our own plaster of paris creche. My folks bought molds of all the characters, Mary Joseph, Wisemen, camels, sheep etc. And we built the stable out of cardboard.

We also build decoration using paste, yarn and balloons. We would cut yarn into strips about 10 inches long of all kinds of color, inflate a balloon real big, and then run the yarn over the paste and then on the balloon. When it set, we would pop the balloon, and have a nice multi color ball.

My parents were into cheeepo crafts. The would make things from old egg cartons, coffee cans, even phone books. Alll of it rule of cool when it got done though.

I remember one Christmas, when making yellow snow..

It froze before it hit the snow...and it hurt..

Last edited:
I remember using horse manure as a hockey puck...

I decided then and there I didn't want to be a goalie..

Forum List

Back