Christmas Eve in Auschwitz as Recalled by Polish Prisoners

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
The five Christmas Eves behind the barbed wire of the Auschwitz German camp were rich in tragic events. Nevertheless, despite the threat of punishment, prisoners observed Christmas Eve. People who experienced the hell of Auschwitz will always remember those events.

Today, the vestiges of those Christmas Eves live on mostly in prisoners’ eyewitness accounts, collected after the war, in the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum Archives. They paint a picture of the prisoners’ tragedies and the Nazis’ limitless savagery.

The first Christmas Eve behind the camp barbed wire, on December 24, 1940, was also one of the most tragic. The Nazis set up a Christmas tree, with electric lights, on the roll-call square. Beneath it, they placed the bodies of prisoners who had died while working or frozen to death at roll call. Former prisoner Karol Świętorzecki later recalled that Lagerführer Karl Fritzsch referred to the corpses beneath the tree as “a present” for the living, and forbade the singing of Polish Christmas carols.

A year later, in 1941, the Germans “organized” another tragic Christmas Eve. During the return from slave labor on the construction of Auschwitz II-Birkenau, they killed Soviet POWs who were too weak to walk unsupported. About 300 died that day.

The Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum Archives contain an eyewitness account by former prisoner Ludwik Kryński, describing how there was a second roll call at 6:00 PM, after the SS men had finished the roll call and eaten their supper. Despite temperatures far below freezing, the prisoners had to listen to Pope Pius XII’s Christmas Eve proclamation being read out in German. 42 prisoners succumbed to the cold, and the sight brought numerous others to the point of nervous breakdowns.

Prisoners tried to celebrate in their blocks and to help those whose spirits had broken. An account in the Museum collections by Józef Jędrych from Block no. 10a describes how “the singing of German carols began, and then like the waves of the sea came the powerful words [from a Polish carol] ‘God is born, the powers tremble’ and others, until the final chord in the form of the Dąbrowski Mazurka [the Polish national anthem]. Everyone exchanged warm, cordial embraces and cried for a long time. There were those who sobbed out loud. . . . Such a grand moment never fades from memory. That Christmas is fixed forever in my heart and memory.”

A small Christmas tree, smuggled in by Henry Bartosiewicz, stood in room 7 in Block no. 25. Polish Army cavalry-platoon commander Witold Pilecki, a hero of the camp resistance movement, adorned it with a White Eagle carved from a turnip.

The Germans set up a Christmas tree in Auschwitz II-Birkenau in 1942, and placed the bodies of murdered men underneath it. Former prisoner Krystyna Aleksandrowicz’s recollections of the shocking event are in the Museum Archive. “Before Christmas in 1942, the SS men put up a Christmas tree for us. On Christmas Eve, they gathered the labor details from the men’s camp and ordered them to carry soil in their coats. They shot any man who gathered up too little soil. Then they stacked a whole heap of corpses underneath the Christmas tree.”

In her Auschwitz Chronicle, the late Danuta Czech, the Museum historian, notes under the date December 24, 1942 that, in the evening, Polish women prisoners in the Stabsgebaude [staff building] lighted candles on a fir bough that had been smuggled in. Carols were sung in many places around the camp, which lifted people’s spirits and gave them hope of surviving. In Block 18a, Christmas Eve had a religious dimension. A prisoner who was a Roman Catholic priest obtained some bread and used it as a substitute Host.

After Arthur Liebehenschel became camp commandant in November 1943, the prisoners’ lot improved. There were no more macabre “presents.” Many prisoners received communion wafers in parcels from their families, and shared them with other prisoners, including Jews. Prisoners organized Christmas Eve observances in many blocks.

The atmosphere on Christmas Eve 1944 was completely different. The days of the Third Reich were numbered. The prisoner priest Father Władysław Grohs de Rosenburg celebrated midnight mass with the tacit approval of the block supervisor and room supervisor.

The women in Birkenau prepared “Christmas gifts” for the children in the hospital, using material supplied by other women to sew about 200 toys. They attached two lumps of sugar or a piece of candy to each, and wrote the children’s names on the presents. One of the women dressed up as St. Nicholas and passed out the presents on Christmas Eve. Fifteen children from another block also received presents.

Museum historian Teresa Świebocka says that in 1944, Leokadia Szymańska, who was then a patient in the camp hospital, made a small Christmas tree that is now part of the Museum’s collections. It features Polish flags and a Polish eagle at the top.

January 27, 1945, brought the freedom of which prisoners had dreamed during each of the five previous Christmas Eves.

www.en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/index.php?option=com_conte

I made this thread as a public service to all the people on the board who celebrate Christmas.

(It has nothing to do with the Jews)

It is hard to imagine the spirit of the prisoners who had to endured this living hell.

And yet they survived year after year of brutality, hardship, and suffering, at the hands of the brutal guards.

So to those who are complaining about long lines at the store. Being forced to visit with the relatives. Gifts you could do without. Or not happy with their Christmas dinner.

Just reflect to the OP and your problems will instantly disappear.

Although Christmas is not part of my religious tradition.

Merry Christmas to all USMB members. :eusa_angel:

Yep they had it tough and many survived.

Too bad it seems the whiney right cannot survive Obama.
Poor little whiney asses.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine how these people survived 5 long terrible years in the prison camp. :(

Most didn't.

We know that a couple of million people entered the camp.

We know that a couple of hundred left the camp.

It's not actually the funniest topic to make jokes about, is it?

It's hard to imagine how these people survived 5 long terrible years in the prison camp. :(

It's not actually the funniest topic to make jokes about, is it?
Who is making jokes about this topic?

As for me; I treated this thread with respect for all the people who went thru this difficult time.

Last edited:
No, I believe your posting here is disingenuous.

How so?? :confused:

Because your posting seems to be characterised by poorly informed attacks against Judaism - such as we see in your signature line, for instance.

I don't know why that is, but the day I see you make threads questioning the authenticity of reports of the Hama massacres, we'll at least know you are not prejudiced!

No, I believe your posting here is disingenuous.

How so?? :confused:

Because your posting seems to be characterised by poorly informed attacks against Judaism - such as we see in your signature line, for instance.

This thread's OP was about Polish prisoners and the 5 Christmas's they suffered through while being held at Auschwitz.

It had nothing to do with the Jews.

And I didn't say anything disrespectful in any of my posts on this thread.

Yet, for some reason you want to attack me and claim I was somehow being disingenuous and attacking Jews??? :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Sunni -

Although everything you say is true, both you sig line and your posting on other threads suggest that you hold strongly anti-semitic views.

If I am wrong about that, I apologise, and look forward to hearing more about what you do believe.

As I have stated many times on this board.

I have nothing against the Jews, who are a unique and clever people.

Nor do I have anything against the beautiful religion of Judiasm.

But I am opposed to the apartheid state of Israel and the Zionist nazis who rule it.

As for the so called holocaust. Yes, thousands of innocent Jews were wrongfully murdered. I was a tragedy and should have never happened.

But, I find many aspects of the official story to be suspect, and falsely presented in order to further advance the Zionist agenda.

I can't seem to figure out why questioning the holocaust makes a person anti-semitic?

Especially, since Christians, homos, slavics, Poles, and others, were also imprisoned in the work camps. Somehow the Zionist Jews seem to think they OWN the holocaust story to the exclusion of others.

Anti-semetic means that a person dislikes Jews and Judiasm. I am in NO way anti-semitic

But people here on the board apply the word loosely to anyone who opposes Zionism (a political system), Israel (a state), or the Holocaust (an alleged historical event).

Then they call me a anti-semitic and a Nazi. And say that I hate Jews.

Well, Sunni Man, I don't know if you hate Jews or not, but on the basis of this post, I will read your posts with an open mind from here on, and give you a fair hearing.

However, I can explain why questioning the Holocaust is seen as being anti-semitic - it is because the only people active in this field ARE anti-semitic. Run through a list of prominent Holocaust Deniers and google them. What you will find is that they have all had links to anti-semitic groups at some stage or another.

You will also find some don't even exist (Ernst Gauss), some are convicted fraudsters (Eric Zundel, David Duke, Germar Rudolf) and others have essentially recanted their own work (David Cole).

There are some excellent, and very balanced books which explain Holocaust history - if you have not read Hannah Arendt's book on Eichmann - start with that. It is essential reading.

Thanks for the tip about reading Hannah Arendt's book on Eichmann. But I really don't feel like reading another Jew's opinion on the so called holocaust.

It is true that many of the public holocaust deniers are aligned with anti-semitic groups.

I believe this is because that's the only venue they have for airing their views.

If the anti-semitism laws were rescinded. Then real historians, not attached to any group or agenda, would come out and honestly review ALL of the evidence and then issue a true finding.

But as it stands, historians are afraid to touch the subject, for fear of destroying their name and career, if they published anything that deviated fron the official story.

So currently, all we have are people of dubious character doing the research that true academics should be doing.

Thanks for the tip about reading Hannah Arendt's book on Eichmann. But I really don't feel like reading another Jew's opinion on the so called holocaust.

Then don't complain that there are questions about the Holocaust which remain unanswered.

The answers are there - but you 'can't be bothered' to read them.

Yep they had it tough and many survived. Too bad it seems the whiney right cannot survive Obama. Poor little whiney asses.

Wow, you didn't waste any time segueing into an attack on the right. :clap2:

Sunni, I could use a good laugh. Where is the best information regarding allegations that the Holocaust didn't happen? I'm serious; I'd like to read it for amusement.

Wow, that was funny. Can I get some of whatever the author was smoking? That must be some good shit! However, Sunni, you might want to lay off because you're mind is mush if you actually really believe this crap. Either it's mush or you're a Jew-hating racist with an agenda of hatred to spread. In any event, you are immediately discounted by any reasonable person as a raving lunatic and/or a terrorist.

I suspect that you do actually know, as does the rest of us, that the Holocaust is real. So, let's get past the supposed discussion as to whether or not it happened. That's not a reasonable subject. What is more interesting is why you want to spread these lies? Why do you have so much hatred toward the Jews?

Wow, that was funny. Can I get some of whatever the author was smoking? That must be some good shit! However, Sunni, you might want to lay off because you're mind is mush if you actually really believe this crap. Either it's mush or you're a Jew-hating racist with an agenda of hatred to spread. In any event, you are immediately discounted by any reasonable person as a raving lunatic and/or a terrorist.

I suspect that you do actually know, as does the rest of us, that the Holocaust is real. So, let's get past the supposed discussion as to whether or not it happened. That's not a reasonable subject. What is more interesting is why you want to spread these lies? Why do you have so much hatred toward the Jews?
This site has both physical evidence and pictures to back up that the Holohoax is a fraud.

Auschwitz and the holocaust

I notice that you resorted to attacking me and not the evidence the site offers as proof.

Forum List

Back