Christmas and gifts.......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Last Sunday I was watching a program called "Hidden in the Hebrew" with Uri Harrell, which comes on God's Learning Channel on Sundays.

He was talking about the story with Cain and Able, and he taught it from what the literal translation was. It seems that the reason that Cain was angry at Able was because God told both of them to bring Him an offering from what they had raised. Able took his time and picked the absolute best of the flock that he had. Cain on the other hand, being unprepared, just grabbed what was around and brought it to God also. God preferred Able's offering, because he had taken time to select something special. Cain didn't and that was why God preferred Able's over Cain's.

Well, according to Uri (who is a Torah Scholar), he then taught that the Christian version says that Cain slew Able. Well....he did....but there was more to it than that, because when God saw Cain, he asked where his brother was and Cain asked if he was his brothers keeper? God then found Able and asked Cain what happened. Cain said that he was angry that his gift was not accepted with as much favor as Able's, so he hit him with a rock, and thought that he had just been knocked out. Then, Cain hid his face from God.

Now......when I heard this story, I thought about my own life before. When I was married, on one of the last Christmas' with my ex wife, I'd spent about 2 weeks looking for the perfect music box for her, which I knew she'd love. She on the other hand gave me a couple of t-shirts and a cd (and we had plenty of money then). I was kinda disappointed and hurt about it, and after I'd learned what Uri taught, I knew what had happened. Kinda the same thing if you think about it.

Now......thinking about that, I started to think about the silly season that is fast approaching us. There are MANY people who go out and search for that "one best gift", for the person that is special to us this season. Others, (and there are many of them too) are content to simply give cash or one of those soon to be bankrupt gift cards, because they don't want to be bothered with taking time out for someone else.

So.......for this season, why not spend a little extra time to select that gift to make sure that it is the best we can possibly give each other? I mean after all.....Jesus said that "as you do to the least of you, you do unto Me", which kinda means that in a round about way, we're all giving a present to Father by the way we treat, and what we do for, each other.

I was just kidding, lol. Your original post was a very nice one. :) And its nice to see that I'm not the only one who's getting into the Christmas mood a bit early!

I was just kidding, lol. Your original post was a very nice one. :) And its nice to see that I'm not the only one who's getting into the Christmas mood a bit early!

Actually, it was a combination of the show, the news (people worrying about what they were going to do for Christmas, as well as the fact that all the gift cards are fast becoming worthless).

Oh yeah.....decided to put in some of my own experiences to, just to kind of flesh it out.

Last Sunday I was watching a program called "Hidden in the Hebrew" with Uri Harrell, which comes on God's Learning Channel on Sundays.

He was talking about the story with Cain and Able, and he taught it from what the literal translation was. It seems that the reason that Cain was angry at Able was because God told both of them to bring Him an offering from what they had raised. Able took his time and picked the absolute best of the flock that he had. Cain on the other hand, being unprepared, just grabbed what was around and brought it to God also. God preferred Able's offering, because he had taken time to select something special. Cain didn't and that was why God preferred Able's over Cain's.

Well, according to Uri (who is a Torah Scholar), he then taught that the Christian version says that Cain slew Able. Well....he did....but there was more to it than that, because when God saw Cain, he asked where his brother was and Cain asked if he was his brothers keeper? God then found Able and asked Cain what happened. Cain said that he was angry that his gift was not accepted with as much favor as Able's, so he hit him with a rock, and thought that he had just been knocked out. Then, Cain hid his face from God.

Now......when I heard this story, I thought about my own life before. When I was married, on one of the last Christmas' with my ex wife, I'd spent about 2 weeks looking for the perfect music box for her, which I knew she'd love. She on the other hand gave me a couple of t-shirts and a cd (and we had plenty of money then). I was kinda disappointed and hurt about it, and after I'd learned what Uri taught, I knew what had happened. Kinda the same thing if you think about it.

Now......thinking about that, I started to think about the silly season that is fast approaching us. There are MANY people who go out and search for that "one best gift", for the person that is special to us this season. Others, (and there are many of them too) are content to simply give cash or one of those soon to be bankrupt gift cards, because they don't want to be bothered with taking time out for someone else.

So.......for this season, why not spend a little extra time to select that gift to make sure that it is the best we can possibly give each other? I mean after all.....Jesus said that "as you do to the least of you, you do unto Me", which kinda means that in a round about way, we're all giving a present to Father by the way we treat, and what we do for, each other.

Quite honestly, with the state of the economy and the cost of food and heat and people losing their jobs....no one spending xtra money because they have none and stores closing all over --right before Christmas no less! I think that your idea is just perfect. I know I will be giving one special gift this year to the people I love.

Thank you*

I like to try to make something special for my wife.

this year i am working on this

$cabinet.jpg

it's a really nice cabinet with a couple of secret compartments. I thought it would make a nice jewelry box.

Last edited:
very lovely - the secret compartments sound neat! I'm planning on homemade gift baskets for some neighbors and co-workers: cookies, homemade mustards, jams, candy, etc. I can make it in bulk and then put several baskets together all at once.

my parents absolutely have everything....they are really, really, really hard to buy for...they have everything already....it's really, a nightmare every year....i have been thinking about it since october, and i have not come up with anything...

last year i settled on sending them a New England Lobster bake, with live lobster and clams and mussels and potatoes and corn on the cob from some place here in maine, years before that.... bought them things like concert tickets or dinner theater or to see CATS or other broadway shows that make the circuit down in florida near them...

there is NOTHING i can buy them that they haven't already just bought for themselves...

any help, on something really cool that costs $250 MAX would be greatly appreciated!!

very lovely - the secret compartments sound neat! I'm planning on homemade gift baskets for some neighbors and co-workers: cookies, homemade mustards, jams, candy, etc. I can make it in bulk and then put several baskets together all at once.

For a lot of years, that's exactly what we used to do.

My wife and i would bake breads and cookies etc and give baskets with assorted tropical fruits and baked goods.

my parents absolutely have everything....they are really, really, really hard to buy for...they have everything already....it's really, a nightmare every year....i have been thinking about it since october, and i have not come up with anything...

last year i settled on sending them a New England Lobster bake, with live lobster and clams and mussels and potatoes and corn on the cob from some place here in maine, years before that.... bought them things like concert tickets or dinner theater or to see CATS or other broadway shows that make the circuit down in florida near them...

there is NOTHING i can buy them that they haven't already just bought for themselves...

any help, on something really cool that costs $250 MAX would be greatly appreciated!!

Okay......here ya go.......(these are some things I picked up in the Navy).....

Cheap? Easy, get a gift basket with stuff like cheese, crackers and the like (Hickory Farms is my favorite), grab a couple of really decent bottles of wine, and maybe a couple of crystal glasses. Total cost? 'Round 200. Oh yeah.....when you show up, stay and share it with them, that will make it that much better, because time with loved ones is priceless.

One time, when a friend of mine was coming back from deployment, his wife went and rented a room, got a limo to pick him up off of the pier, and then, she placed herself in a big box wearing nice frilly things. The limo dropped him off with a key, he went in, saw the box, opened it up, and there she was. How do you translate that into you? Simple, take the above idea, put YOURSELF in a box, and then have some friends deliver you to their doorstep. They pull off the top, and out you pop! Total cost? Probably around 220.

Hope that helps!

Ok, probably not $250 max, depending on where they live.. Maybe it is..who knows..

A "date".

Flowers delivered early Saturday morning with an "invitation" outlining the events for their day..

Pick a really NICE restaurant, prepay their dinners, and a bottle of wine (making sure to leave enough to tip the waitress - even pick their seating, if you can).

Book a hotel suite for a night, and have a bottle of champagne on ice when they get there.

Book a limo to pick them up the afternoon of their "date", drive them to dinner, drive around a bit after dinner, and then drop them off at their hotel.

I plan on getting this for all of my friends:

518RvzD1MOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not to slam ya Xsited1, but, blanket gifts aren't really my style. I've got a lot of unique friends, and they each have their own kind of deal going on, so, if I did that, I'd probably get shot.

Glad you told me! I'll get you an Obama blanket instead. It'll keep you warm at night, but you'll be broke in the morning.

LOL! Really, you are too kind. I don't have enough room in my bed because my son leaves all his stuffed animals there.

Here's my present to all my beloved friends:

Coulter_rhabtbr.jpg

Forum List

Back