Christie curbs Union donations!!!

A Union is there to represent it's members as I understand it, the members themselves are the ones that vote not the Union, so as a member paying dues you pay them to support the Union to advocate on your behalf for salary and benefits not to influence political elections. If a company were to give Candicate X 100 million dollars for a campaign and send it's employee's out to protest, support or back candidates using the funds of that company to do so, then that is trying to influence an election for the benefit of the company and it's employee's , it is no different if you substitute the word company for Union. The constitution does not say " We the Company or We the Union, it says We the People" and the right to vote is an individual right as your freedom to choose who you should be able to donate too on an election. As companies do not vote in elections nor do unions, then they have no rights in them period.

And I disagree. PEOPLE make up Unions and Corporations. PEOPLE pay dues and expect the Union to work FOR them, same with Corporations PEOPLE make up a Corporation. They have a duty to look out for their self interests.

I have no problem with this Governor stopping a gravy train but I have a problem when that impedes and effects freedom of SPEECH. The Supreme Court just threw out some times of curbs on Corporations and Unions in regards National elections. I suspect this will see Court time.

While I respect that Gunny, in my opinion these corporations and unions themselves are not people and are a created entity. There is nothing to stop or impede an individual that is a member of a Union or an employee for a Corporation from exercising their individual rights which are granted them under the constitution. Where I part company with a lot on this matter I suppose, is that these Unions and Corporations are not people and therefor have no ability to vote in an election and as such have no rights as an indivudual under the constitution. I do agree that this is one of those issues that will end up in the Courts as they always do.

While I respect that Gunny, in my opinion these corporations and unions themselves are not people and are a created entity. There is nothing to stop or impede an individual that is a member of a Union or an employee for a Corporation from exercising their individual rights which are granted them under the constitution. Where I part company with a lot on this matter I suppose, is that these Unions and Corporations are not people and therefor have no ability to vote in an election and as such have no rights as an individual under the constitution. I do agree that this is one of those issues that will end up in the Courts as they always do.
Exactly.

I don't really have a problem with individual donations to any campaign because those individuals in theory can pull the lever and vote. I see Union donations no differently than I do large corporate donations to a party or campaign and in my opinion they have no place in the election process.

Corporations are barred by law from giving political donations.

Yes, anything that puts a weed up union's asses is Ay Okay in my book. They are the cause of about half the problems in America.

Yeah, let's return to the good old days of sweatshops and child labor.

Or be prepared for manufacturing jobs to go overseas. Fact is, we - as a society - buy cheap goods... how those goods are produced is of little interest to the consumer generally. So, unions do play their part in the destruction of our economy.... their deals make manufacturing in this country unsustainable because we cannot produce goods as cheaply as those countries who have no labor laws.

I'm not saying we should have sweatshops and child labor, just that facts are facts.

Yes, anything that puts a weed up union's asses is Ay Okay in my book. They are the cause of about half the problems in America.

Or be prepared for manufacturing jobs to go overseas. Fact is, we - as a society - buy cheap goods... how those goods are produced is of little interest to the consumer generally. So, unions do play their part in the destruction of our economy.... their deals make manufacturing in this country unsustainable because we cannot produce goods as cheaply as those countries who have no labor laws.
I'm not saying we should have sweatshops and child labor, just that facts are facts.

Why is this FACT so crystal clear to everyone except those running the unions???

Wow - this would appear a very impressive move!!!

Well done Governor Christie. The more modern era American union movement is among the most corruptive forces in politics - as much as any favortism seeking special interest lobby group you will find...

On his first day on the job, Christie signed eight executive orders including on which labor leaders and democrats are calling an attack on their current system of pay to play politics in New Jersey. The order states that unions are now added to the list of groups who are barred from receiving state contracts of more than $17,500 if they had donated more than $300 to a campaign for Governor or county political committee in the previous 18 months. The order is expected to curb the union influence and patronage that was prevelant during the Corzine administration.

Christie signs executive order to limit union backed pay to play politics : New Jersey News – Jackson Township, Toms River, Freehold, Ocean County, NJ, US and World News

Why is this FACT so crystal clear to everyone except those running the unions???
Which unions? We have a varied and assorted amount of unions in this country. Trade unions and manufacturing unions provide for different types of workers.

I'd say put taxes and tariffs on incoming products that compete with or have destroyed even the light manufacturing industry in the country. If that country has sweat shops and we cannot compete then the legislators better put some limitations in there that will protect the American labor force and I do not belong to a union never have. Maytag is a great example of what is wrong in this country. As is the local sewing factory that recently was sold and moved to China.

Working to destroy all unions is an effort to destroy the working class of this country. It is a sorry mistake for Republicans if they adhere to this model.

I'd say put taxes and tariffs on incoming products that compete with or have destroyed even the light manufacturing industry in the country. If that country has sweat shops and we cannot compete then the legislators better put some limitations in there that will protect the American labor force and I do not belong to a union never have. Maytag is a great example of what is wrong in this country. As is the local sewing factory that recently was sold and moved to China.

Working to destroy all unions is an effort to destroy the working class of this country. It is a sorry mistake for Republicans if they adhere to this model.

If that were a winning strategy East Germany would be an economic powerhouse. Protecting your industry through tariffs has been demonstrated to produce bloated inefficient industries that cannot compete.
The majority of "working class" people in this country are not represented by unions, unless they work in the public sector. And I'd happily see them destroyed.

I don't really have a problem with individual donations to any campaign because those individuals in theory can pull the lever and vote. I see Union donations no differently than I do large corporate donations to a party or campaign and in my opinion they have no place in the election process.

This is an absurd comparison. Preventing Unions from purchasing jobs though political payoff is hardly comparable to sweat shops or a return to child labor. The Executive Order does not rescind any law pertaining to labor practices.

On his first day on the job, Christie signed eight executive orders including on which labor leaders and democrats are calling an attack on their current system of pay to play politics in New Jersey. The order states that unions are now added to the list of groups who are barred from receiving state contracts of more than $17,500 if they had donated more than $300 to a campaign for Governor or county political committee in the previous 18 months. The order is expected to curb the union influence and patronage that was prevelant during the Corzine administration.

Christie signs executive order to limit union backed pay to play politics : New Jersey News – Jackson Township, Toms River, Freehold, Ocean County, NJ, US and World News

How long do you think his executive order is going to last after today's Supreme Court decision?

Or should only corporations have a voice?

I do want to point out that you're getting cheers on this one from the same people who think corporations are people.

How long do you think his executive order is going to last after today's Supreme Court decision?

I do want to point out that you're getting cheers on this one from the same people who think corporations are people.

It's also getting cheers from people who think no special interest group - unions, corporations or any other - should be buying influence with politicians. The only special interest group that need concern any politician is 'we, the People'.

If that were a winning strategy East Germany would be an economic powerhouse. Protecting your industry through tariffs has been demonstrated to produce bloated inefficient industries that cannot compete.
The majority of "working class" people in this country are not represented by unions, unless they work in the public sector. And I'd happily see them destroyed.

The majority of "working class" people might not be represented by unions but they sure as hell have benefited from them in one way or another.

Yes, but this is a pretty onesided look at what happens in our consumer oriented society.

Unions also provide for better wages through collective bargaining. These bargaining efforts usually achieve a mutually beneficial result for both employer and employee. For the employer, it details the rights and sets production standards that must be adhered to by the employee. For the employee, it ensures a safe working environment, better wages and benefits for themselves and their families.

Now here is the key to the other side of your argument. Cheaper goods, while not always inferior in quality, are for the most part, cheaply made. People who cannot afford more will purchase the least expensive. However, offset that with higher wages and the consumer will purchase a better made product at a higher price.

It is what grows our economy.

As to the issue of this thread. Everyone has to remember. The Govenor is not setting labor standards. He is limiting a "Pay to Play" loophole in which contracts are awarded to companies that have a union presence for the payback of campaign donations.

Everyone should see that is a form of corruption of government.

It's also getting cheers from people who think no special interest group - unions, corporations or any other - should be buying influence with politicians. The only special interest group that need concern any politician is 'we, the People'.

As usual you are so totally full of shit. What a hack. How does the following mesh with the bloviating crap you spew so easily?

http://www.campaignmoney.org/HMO_insurance_spend_to_kill_reform

Industries have spent $585.7 million since 2007 on lobbying and campaign contributions

Washington, D.C. – A campaign finance watchdog’s analysis of insurance and HMO political contributions and lobbying expenses found the industries spent $126,430,438 over the first half of 2009 and $585,725,712 over the past two and a half years to influence public policy and elected officials. The group, Public Campaign Action Fund, found that in the first part of 2009, the industries were spending money at nearly a $700,000 a day clip to influence the political process and that the monthly pace of political spending this year has increased by nearly $400,000 over the average spent per month in the previous two years.

“The insurance and HMO interests are fighting health care reform with hundreds of millions of dollars,” commented David Donnelly, national campaigns director of Public Campaign Action Fund. “Why are so many in Congress willing to listen to an industry that is spending tens of millions every month on politics rather than on lowering their premiums or helping to address the costs of health care? They need the cash to pay for their campaigns. And that’s why we need Congress out of the fundraising game — which can happen if Congress adopts the Fair Elections Now Act.”

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, the insurance interests have 875 registered lobbyists representing its concerns in Washington D.C., and HMOs have 920 registered lobbyists. The total figure for 2009, 1,795, is slightly fewer than 2,000 lobbyists the industries employed in 2008. It is possible that late hires during the important fall months will push 2009 figures past the 2008 record.

The research released today is the first of a two-part study on insurance and HMO industry campaign contributions and lobbying expenses compiled by Public Campaign Action Fund. The study was compiled with data available from the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics and the Senate lobbying disclosure websites. Tomorrow’s release will focus on the political spending by the top for-profit health insurance and HMOs.

(A Common Cause study earlier this year found that health care and insurance interests were spending a combined $1.4 million per day over the first quarter. This study looked at insurance and HMO spending.)

Public Campaign Action Fund advocates for the Fair Elections Now Act (H.R. 1826, S. 752), or comprehensive public financing of elections, The bill was introduced by House Democratic Caucus Chair John Larson (D-Conn.) and Assistant Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and would provide qualified federal candidates the opportunity to run for office with a mixture of small donations and public funding.

The national nonprofit organization is dedicated to advancing comprehensive reform of America’s election laws and works to hold politicians accountable for the favors they do for special interests

If you read this then perhaps you should be choking on all that "we the people shit".

For someone claiming to be a lawyer youre not very well informed.
Today's decision states that corporations have the same rights to make independent political commercials as anyone else at any time. That would apply to unions as well.
Christie's order applies to contributions, which wasn't part of the ruling.

As usual you are so totally full of shit. What a hack. How does the following mesh with the bloviating crap you spew so easily?

Industries have spent $585.7 million since 2007 on lobbying and campaign contributions

Washington, D.C. – A campaign finance watchdog’s analysis of insurance and HMO political contributions and lobbying expenses found the industries spent $126,430,438 over the first half of 2009 and $585,725,712 over the past two and a half years to influence public policy and elected officials. The group, Public Campaign Action Fund, found that in the first part of 2009, the industries were spending money at nearly a $700,000 a day clip to influence the political process and that the monthly pace of political spending this year has increased by nearly $400,000 over the average spent per month in the previous two years.

“The insurance and HMO interests are fighting health care reform with hundreds of millions of dollars,” commented David Donnelly, national campaigns director of Public Campaign Action Fund. “Why are so many in Congress willing to listen to an industry that is spending tens of millions every month on politics rather than on lowering their premiums or helping to address the costs of health care? They need the cash to pay for their campaigns. And that’s why we need Congress out of the fundraising game — which can happen if Congress adopts the Fair Elections Now Act.”

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, the insurance interests have 875 registered lobbyists representing its concerns in Washington D.C., and HMOs have 920 registered lobbyists. The total figure for 2009, 1,795, is slightly fewer than 2,000 lobbyists the industries employed in 2008. It is possible that late hires during the important fall months will push 2009 figures past the 2008 record.

The research released today is the first of a two-part study on insurance and HMO industry campaign contributions and lobbying expenses compiled by Public Campaign Action Fund. The study was compiled with data available from the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics and the Senate lobbying disclosure websites. Tomorrow’s release will focus on the political spending by the top for-profit health insurance and HMOs.

(A Common Cause study earlier this year found that health care and insurance interests were spending a combined $1.4 million per day over the first quarter. This study looked at insurance and HMO spending.)

Public Campaign Action Fund advocates for the Fair Elections Now Act (H.R. 1826, S. 752), or comprehensive public financing of elections, The bill was introduced by House Democratic Caucus Chair John Larson (D-Conn.) and Assistant Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and would provide qualified federal candidates the opportunity to run for office with a mixture of small donations and public funding.

The national nonprofit organization is dedicated to advancing comprehensive reform of America’s election laws and works to hold politicians accountable for the favors they do for special interests

If you read this then perhaps you should be choking on all that "we the people shit".
So are you saying that you are all for this kind of influence pedaling?

You won't get rid of it. And efforts to do so have made things worse, not better, favoring incumbents.
So I say more money in politics. But all of it out in the open and reported.

You won't get rid of it. And efforts to do so have made things worse, not better, favoring incumbents.
So I say more money in politics. But all of it out in the open and reported.
Well, I don't know that I agree with that. Efforts by who and for what purpose? When someone tries to reform something for their own benefit, it often leads to just moe of the same.

Reform of money in politics has to come from the people, not other politicians.

So are you saying that you are all for this kind of influence pedaling?

No. I was pointing out the hypocracy of members such as the california twat. She has been in support of the hmo's unprecidented spending against health care reform. Her "we the people" is disengenuous.

My position on major contributions to candidates to public office is that as a public service, the media which uses our public airwaves and has been granted by the FCC access to our homes, should be required to set aside an amount of that access to be distributed fairly among qualified candidates to make thier pitch to the public. Without undue influence from wealthy contributors and special interests including the wealthy, the corporations and the unions, we might have better government. Corporations should exist at the pleasure of the citizens...not the other way around. Corporate liscenses should be reviewed every four years and renewed by the public based on the quality of thier community service. The same bar should be set for unions. If they cannot pass a public approval periodically they should be dismantled. Thier leadership and management should be banned from union activvity if it is showen they have misused the public trust. As for big media conglomerant abuse....all federal liscenses providing access to public media of all types should be cancled and redrafted with provision of manditory election information distribution to the public. Any manipulation by the media in this proccess should be met with immediate loss of liscense and existance of the corporation owning the liscenses.

Then we can have a discussion about "We The People" without pissing on our forefathers graves.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back