christians who support the war?...seems odd to me.

larry_davis

Rookie
Apr 17, 2006
they support the people who killed in war for it's cause, yet protest about killing an admitted serial killer on death row?
:banana2:

larry_davis said:
they support the people who killed in war for it's cause, yet protest about killing an admitted serial killer on death row?
Huh?

larry_davis said:
Most Christians I know support the death penalty, as do I.

BATMAN said:
Most Christians I know support the death penalty, as do I.

Depends very much on the christian.

The Christian-right recieves a lot of attention. But there is a christian left, and even anarchist christians who don't believe in our government at all.

There is a catholic group (I do not know the extent to which they are tied to the catholic church itself) that supports a lot of anti-war activities at my school.

I think if you met a "true" Christian, a hard-core follower of the bible--a person who does not let politics influence their beliefs--that Christian would be pro-life, anti-war, and anti-death penalty. I have met a few christians like that. But it appears most Christians form political beliefs and then mold religion around those beliefs (even many religious leaders).

I myself am guilty of this. I often try to explain that I am Christian, but believe in a woman's choice. My point is that I am not necessarily pro-abortion, but I do not think a secular government can take that right away from women.

-->Before somebody shits their pants, I should clarify what I mean by "true" Christian. I do not mean that if your views are different you are not a Christian or anything like that. I simply could not think of a better word to describe a very strict follower of the bible, a person who is hardly influenced at all by matters of the secular world.

1549 said:
Depends very much on the christian.

The Christian-right recieves a lot of attention. But there is a christian left, and even anarchist christians who don't believe in our government at all.

There is a catholic group (I do not know the extent to which they are tied to the catholic church itself) that supports a lot of anti-war activities at my school.

I think if you met a "true" Christian, a hard-core follower of the bible--a person who does not let politics influence their beliefs--that Christian would be pro-life, anti-war, and anti-death penalty. I have met a few christians like that. But it appears most Christians form political beliefs and then mold religion around those beliefs (even many religious leaders).

I myself am guilty of this. I often try to explain that I am Christian, but believe in a woman's choice. My point is that I am not necessarily pro-abortion, but I do not think a secular government can take that right away from women.

-->Before somebody shits their pants, I should clarify what I mean by "true" Christian. I do not mean that if your views are different you are not a Christian or anything like that. I simply could not think of a better word to describe a very strict follower of the bible, a person who is hardly influenced at all by matters of the secular world.

I this a statement or a disclaimer? :laugh:

I don't disagree with your statement factually as far as what Christ teaches in the New Testament. Christ was very-much a pacifist. However, Christians who adhere to the New Testament literally are few and far between.

If I am guilty of sin in defending myself, and serving this Nation for its defense, I will answer to God for it when the time comes ... but not any mortal man.

Christ? A pacifist? Doubtfully - Christ laid the proverbial smack as often as needed.

I'm PRO Peace, which is why some wars are neccessary.

I'd have trouble believing ANY Christian could support abortion rights. I think those who claim christianity yet support sanctioned murder are fooling themselves.

At times in the Bible God uses Capital Punishment; other times he shows mercy. Death Penalty on a case-by-case basis is fine.

I'm split on the death penalty, especially with how poorly it's administered right now (decades of appeals and a sanitized execution), but I'll support a war if it's just enough. The bible says to defend the weak and the innocent. It also tells about Jesus flipping over tables at the temples. It is my opinion that Jesus would rather I kill to save the lives of others than to let others die while I stand idly by.

dmp said:
Christ? A pacifist? Doubtfully - Christ laid the proverbial smack as often as needed.

I'm PRO Peace, which is why some wars are neccessary.

I'd have trouble believing ANY Christian could support abortion rights. I think those who claim christianity yet support sanctioned murder are fooling themselves.

At times in the Bible God uses Capital Punishment; other times he shows mercy. Death Penalty on a case-by-case basis is fine.

I think what the New Testament states literally as Christ's teachings ARE pacifist. His actions at the Temple were in opposition to what he taught.

But there's the rub .... Christ himself did not write teh New Testament. So what was lost in translation? I don't think God meant for us to stand by and be slaughtered like sheep. If He did, He would not have given us the instinct for survival we possess.

Hobbit said:
I'm split on the death penalty, especially with how poorly it's administered right now (decades of appeals and a sanitized execution), but I'll support a war if it's just enough. The bible says to defend the weak and the innocent. It also tells about Jesus flipping over tables at the temples. It is my opinion that Jesus would rather I kill to save the lives of others than to let others die while I stand idly by.

Jesus would probably not want you to stand by. It is how he would want you to make a stand that matters. I think Jesus would find ways other than war.

The 20th century is littered with examples of people who fought--and won--without using violence. That seems to be something Jesus would preach.

1549 said:
Jesus would probably not want you to stand by. It is how he would want you to make a stand that matters. I think Jesus would find ways other than war.

The 20th century is littered with examples of people who fought--and won--without using violence. That seems to be something Jesus would preach.

The problem is that there's not always another solution. Do you honestly think there is any way to keep an Islamofascist from killing you other than forcibly removing his ability to do so, which, nine times out of ten, results in his death? Do you think we could have just talked the Nazis out of taking over Europe and killing millions of Jews? Maybe we could have just given the Japanese generals a six pack and they'd have decided that this whole imperialism thing just wasn't going to work out. Or perhaps Saddam would finally have allowed weapons inspectors into his country uninhibited.

Yeah, Jesus would want us to avoid war, but completely swearing off war at all costs is just stupid. Violence is the nature of this world. Sometimes, turning the other cheek will make the opponent think about if he really wants to hit you. However, most of the time, it'll just get you two sore cheeks, at which point it's probably necessary to his the other guy back before the rest of your body matches the cheeks.

1549 said:

We didn't start this thing. A relevant point missing from your post. One doesn't bring flowers and candy to a gunfight.

1549 said:

And the 20th century is probably littered with examples of people who didn't have the scrote to fight, and simply lost everything.

Jesus used Violence often - Red Sea (He/God closed the waters upon the Egyptians who were chasing Moses/the millions...is a very clear example, off the top of my head.

Sodom/Gomorrah.

hrm..

City of Jericho.

The list grows.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.
--Matthew 24:6-8

Jesus says these things must happen.

dmp said:
And the 20th century is probably littered with examples of people who didn't have the scrote to fight, and simply lost everything.

Jesus used Violence often - Red Sea (He/God closed the waters upon the Egyptians who were chasing Moses/the millions...is a very clear example, off the top of my head.

Sodom/Gomorrah.

hrm..

City of Jericho.

The list grows.

Interesting that you make no distinction between Christ and God. I'll have to ponder that one.

GunnyL said:
Interesting that you make no distinction between Christ and God. I'll have to ponder that one.

"In the beginning was The Word, and the Word was with God and the Word Was God." - John 1.

God the Trinity - Father, Son and Spirit.

Jesus said:
John 10: 25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[d]; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."

Paul said:
Colossians 1:
15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

dmp said:
"In the beginning was The Word, and the Word was with God and the Word Was God." - John 1.

God the Trinity - Father, Son and Spirit.

I understand the correlation of the trinity. I just have never heard it used in the context that you put it. That Christ was the living embodiment of God I don't doubt. It is that Christ was a separate identity from God before He existed that is in question in my mind.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.
--Matthew 24:6-8

Jesus says these things must happen.

The context of this passage is very important. Jesus is describing the destruction of the disciples and the scorn for Christianity. Your quote is under the title "Beginning of Calamities"

Sodom/Gomorrah.

hrm..

City of Jericho.

The list grows.

The difference between old testament and new testament is almost night and day.

A possible reason for this is that the old testament was probably created through the passage of stories from generation to generation among the hebrews. Some of the stories have been dispelled by archeology, meaning that they could have been just that: stories.

The old testament is filled with what a good story should have: heroes, action, and adventure. This does not mean that the whole thing is fake, but many are inclined to believe that most of the old testament is traditional tale and symbolism. The legends were created with religious intent of course, but they were not necessarily on factual events.

By contrast, the new testament is written by the followers of Jesus. (it may have been doctored over time, who knows) Its main themes are more likely to be accurate representations of God and Jesus.

The legends that created the old testament was most likely the hebrews' laws and inspiration. Through the symbolism and legend they were able to portray God as needed: an all powerful force that will punish your sins and lead us to victory in battle. It served its purpose.

1549 said:
The legends that created the old testament was most likely the hebrews' laws and inspiration. Through the symbolism and legend they were able to portray God as needed: an all powerful force that will punish your sins and lead us to victory in battle. It served its purpose.

Yet God has killed the sinful in the New Testiment too! I remember in Acts? Maybe? A man and woman sold property and were instructed to give the entire amount to the Church. When they showed up with less-than the amount, they were killed on the spot.

dmp said:
Yet God has killed the sinful in the New Testiment too! I remember in Acts? Maybe? A man and woman sold property and were instructed to give the entire amount to the Church. When they showed up with less-than the amount, they were killed on the spot.

It is not ringing a bell, but you could be right. Even if it is so, I still maintain that Jesus and God are the biggest fans of peace. I really think you could turn to any random page of the new testament and find someting that alludes to peace.

Forum List

Back