christians who support the war?...seems odd to me.

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by larry_davis, Jun 4, 2006.

1. larry_davis

larry_davis Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they support the people who killed in war for it's cause, yet protest about killing an admitted serial killer on death row?
    :banana2:

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You are REALLY dumb WHY?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Huh?

4. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Most Christians I know support the death penalty, as do I.

5. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Depends very much on the christian.

The Christian-right recieves a lot of attention. But there is a christian left, and even anarchist christians who don't believe in our government at all.

There is a catholic group (I do not know the extent to which they are tied to the catholic church itself) that supports a lot of anti-war activities at my school.

I think if you met a "true" Christian, a hard-core follower of the bible--a person who does not let politics influence their beliefs--that Christian would be pro-life, anti-war, and anti-death penalty. I have met a few christians like that. But it appears most Christians form political beliefs and then mold religion around those beliefs (even many religious leaders).

I myself am guilty of this. I often try to explain that I am Christian, but believe in a woman's choice. My point is that I am not necessarily pro-abortion, but I do not think a secular government can take that right away from women.

-->Before somebody shits their pants, I should clarify what I mean by "true" Christian. I do not mean that if your views are different you are not a Christian or anything like that. I simply could not think of a better word to describe a very strict follower of the bible, a person who is hardly influenced at all by matters of the secular world.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I this a statement or a disclaimer? :laugh:

I don't disagree with your statement factually as far as what Christ teaches in the New Testament. Christ was very-much a pacifist. However, Christians who adhere to the New Testament literally are few and far between.

If I am guilty of sin in defending myself, and serving this Nation for its defense, I will answer to God for it when the time comes ... but not any mortal man.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Christ? A pacifist? Doubtfully - Christ laid the proverbial smack as often as needed.

I'm PRO Peace, which is why some wars are neccessary.

I'd have trouble believing ANY Christian could support abortion rights. I think those who claim christianity yet support sanctioned murder are fooling themselves.

At times in the Bible God uses Capital Punishment; other times he shows mercy. Death Penalty on a case-by-case basis is fine.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm split on the death penalty, especially with how poorly it's administered right now (decades of appeals and a sanitized execution), but I'll support a war if it's just enough. The bible says to defend the weak and the innocent. It also tells about Jesus flipping over tables at the temples. It is my opinion that Jesus would rather I kill to save the lives of others than to let others die while I stand idly by.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think what the New Testament states literally as Christ's teachings ARE pacifist. His actions at the Temple were in opposition to what he taught.

But there's the rub .... Christ himself did not write teh New Testament. So what was lost in translation? I don't think God meant for us to stand by and be slaughtered like sheep. If He did, He would not have given us the instinct for survival we possess.

10. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Jesus would probably not want you to stand by. It is how he would want you to make a stand that matters. I think Jesus would find ways other than war.

The 20th century is littered with examples of people who fought--and won--without using violence. That seems to be something Jesus would preach.