christians unite

Actually, most Christians are unwilling to serve in the military, as they think the Bible states something about "thou shalt not kill", when in reality, it really says "thou shalt not MURDER".

So, if they're gonna use a cop out like that to get out of service in the military, they should not be allowed to serve in politics.

Personally? I think that Robert A. Heinlein's book "Starship Troopers" had a better idea.

Only those who served 1 term (or more) Honorably should be allowed to vote. Civvies generally are unwilling to risk their ass for this country, because they'd rather soak up the freedoms while allowing others to pay the price.

Where is the evidence that "most Christians are unwilling to serve in the military?"

A lot of people cannot serve, or have jobs that serve the nation in a greater way. They should not be punished for that. I doubt that writer really thought that idea through.

Look what we have now, a man who says he is a Christian, but certainly doesn't support Christian values. I don't vote Christians into office, Says he is an American, but seems to be working hard to wreck the nation.

I vote people who I believe will do the best job. I don't vote regarding a party either.

Along with that, I believe God is willing to work His plan through whomever is in the position.

I worked in recruiting for quite a while, and some of the places I had to go had lots of believers, who stated quite emphatically that they can't serve because the Bible says not to kill. Probably aren't compiled statistics, but I know what I've experienced.

If you can't join the military, but still want to? Easy........go work for a defense contractor, and you can have influence that way.

But bottom line.........if you're not willing to defend this country, you shouldn't be running it.

I will say this: If they arent willing to serve themselves, they shouldnt be so quick to start a war, or even agree to go to war.. And if they don't want their own kids in the service- they better not even think about enacting any kind of draft or retention measure..

Where is the evidence that "most Christians are unwilling to serve in the military?"

A lot of people cannot serve, or have jobs that serve the nation in a greater way. They should not be punished for that. I doubt that writer really thought that idea through.

Look what we have now, a man who says he is a Christian, but certainly doesn't support Christian values. I don't vote Christians into office, Says he is an American, but seems to be working hard to wreck the nation.

I vote people who I believe will do the best job. I don't vote regarding a party either.

Along with that, I believe God is willing to work His plan through whomever is in the position.

I worked in recruiting for quite a while, and some of the places I had to go had lots of believers, who stated quite emphatically that they can't serve because the Bible says not to kill. Probably aren't compiled statistics, but I know what I've experienced.

If you can't join the military, but still want to? Easy........go work for a defense contractor, and you can have influence that way.

But bottom line.........if you're not willing to defend this country, you shouldn't be running it.

I will say this: If they arent willing to serve themselves, they shouldnt be so quick to start a war, or even agree to go to war.. And if they don't want their own kids in the service- they better not even think about enacting any kind of draft or retention measure..

That is the reason I say that only if you serve in the military, can you serve in politics. Most politicians up until the 80's had served in the military. Now? Most of 'em haven't.

Might kinda explain the hawkish way that some of these people have been voting, eh?

And no.........service in the CIA doesn't count, as those fuckers direct the military to do the fighting. It's easy to order others out to the front line if you don't have to go yourself.

Look at Cheney.

That is the reason I say that only if you serve in the military, can you serve in politics. Most politicians up until the 80's had served in the military. Now? Most of 'em haven't.

Might kinda explain the hawkish way that some of these people have been voting, eh?

And no.........service in the CIA doesn't count, as those fuckers direct the military to do the fighting. It's easy to order others out to the front line if you don't have to go yourself.

Look at Cheney.

I know I hate that asshole.

But defense contractors like Halliburton can be corrupt, too..

And I don't necessarily think that being honorably discharged from the armed services, or well decorated would make someone the best bet for the role of Presidency.

These days its all about choosing from the lesser of the two evils, it seems.. Actually, it has always been that way. You know, the history books say that we live in a democrazy repugnic but this country was founded mostly on the concept of plutocracy..

The elite pick the elite.. and we are forced to choose only between those picked by a predecessor.

We may get to vote for the best candidate out of those hand picked candidates, but we dont get to choose the candidates ourselves, and we don't really get the chance to run without knowing and having close ties to the right people..

Its unsettling.

christians should elect only christians to public office.

It's normal to select those of similar opinions and beliefs. That is called "the comfort of one's own kind". And some Christians (or Muslims or Jews or whatever) are fanatics; that's just a fact of life.

Last edited:

Look at Cheney.
Actually, the DIA has more direction over any killing by the military than the CIA.

I am a Christian who understands we live in a country with a secular government. I have no desire to live under a government, even an elected government, that only prefers potential fanatics, religious or secular.

Why exactly does being religious make you a fanatic?

you left out the key word in your question: potential. And it was applied for Religious and secular fanatics.
If your candidate slate is comprised of people from only one group, religious or secular, the potential for abuse of power rises exponentially. By having candidate options from many groups has a tendency to balance the opposites out.

Last edited:
Actually, most Christians are unwilling to serve in the military, as they think the Bible states something about "thou shalt not kill", when in reality, it really says "thou shalt not MURDER".

So, if they're gonna use a cop out like that to get out of service in the military, they should not be allowed to serve in politics.

Personally? I think that Robert A. Heinlein's book "Starship Troopers" had a better idea.

Only those who served 1 term (or more) Honorably should be allowed to vote. Civvies generally are unwilling to risk their ass for this country, because they'd rather soak up the freedoms while allowing others to pay the price.

I agree that if you are not willing to defend the country you should not be able to run it. I agree that there are many ways to serve the nation, as do Doctors and Professors, etc.

I cannot argue your experience either, our experiences are all different. It is possible that you worked in an area where there were many JWs, or other denominations that have a doctrine that applies to being in a military. Maybe not.

I am a Christian who has been around Christians for over 55 years, and I find very few who refuse to be in the military. On patriotic holidays we have all military people (present and past) stand, and there are always a lot. However, I have noticed that most of them are older men and women. Now days, few people in general join the military, for many reasons. I suppose the reasons are all pretty equal.

I agree that if you are not willing to defend the country you should not be able to run it. I agree that there are many ways to serve the nation, as do Doctors and Professors, etc.

I cannot argue your experience either, our experiences are all different. It is possible that you worked in an area where there were many JWs, or other denominations that have a doctrine that applies to being in a military. Maybe not.

I am a Christian who has been around Christians for over 55 years, and I find very few who refuse to be in the military. On patriotic holidays we have all military people (present and past) stand, and there are always a lot. However, I have noticed that most of them are older men and women. Now days, few people in general join the military, for many reasons. I suppose the reasons are all pretty equal.

I think it would be even better if the leaders of our country led the troops when they go into battle--like they did in ancient times.

I think it would be even better if the leaders of our country led the troops when they go into battle--like they did in ancient times.

that would make a good comedy.

I'll go you one better.............

When the President decides to go to war with another country, it would be HIM and HIS CABINET (or her as the case may be), against the leader and their cabinet of the other country.

Put it in a big stadium (I'm thinking build it on the plain of Meggido), make it about the size of the plain, and put all sorts of seats on top of the mountains surrounding it.

And......you can bring in any weapons that your country makes, with the exception of NBC warfare agents.

Shit............put all sorts of cameras around, and you could have pay per view wars!

Make the leaders think twice about going to war........

if a genuinely devout christian ran for office, I would imagine they'd win easily

but most American politicians seem like atheists wrapping themselves in the flag of religious purity

I'll go you one better.............

When the President decides to go to war with another country, it would be HIM and HIS CABINET (or her as the case may be), against the leader and their cabinet of the other country.

Put it in a big stadium (I'm thinking build it on the plain of Meggido), make it about the size of the plain, and put all sorts of seats on top of the mountains surrounding it.

And......you can bring in any weapons that your country makes, with the exception of NBC warfare agents.

Shit............put all sorts of cameras around, and you could have pay per view wars!

Make the leaders think twice about going to war........

That would make a whole lot more sense than taking kids and making them go to a desert to fight a battle when they aren't even sure who the enemy is. Like in Vietnam, when they took kids who got less than a "C" average in college and drafted them and in 8 weeks they were shipped off to a battle with people they had no quarrel with.

Yes, the guys who start these things need to be the ones to finish them.

We are seriously in trouble if there are people who still dont know who we've been fighting in the last few wars. What the heck is wrong with our educational system?

Forum List

Back