Christians in America persecuted?

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
One particularly startling quote came from Cardinal Francis George, the archbishop of Chicago, who said, “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.”

You read that right: a cardinal of the Catholic church believes that the United States is just a few years away from outlawing Catholicism.

It’s not just him: the film as a whole unsubtly suggests that the US is poised to crush American Christians in the same way that Hitler’s Germany did theologians like Dietrich Bonhoeffer. According to Right Wing Watch’s report on the film, the Nazi analogies fly fast and furious: one interviewee even said that “the American church is slightly more attuned to the rumbling heard in the distance than the German church was in the 30s. The bad news is, only slightly, right?”.
These Christians equate not getting their own way in the political sphere – not being able to impose their idiosyncratic religious views on others with the force of law – with brutal and unjust persecution. As America becomes more diverse and less religious than ever, white conservative Christian men are losing their disproportionate influence on politics and, because they think of themselves as the natural and deserving custodians of that power, having to share it feels like a shocking injustice.
But part of the justification for their victim routine is theological: the Bible predicts that Christians will be persecuted, so these conservatives believe that it must be true. Acknowledging the true extent of both their current and historical power and influence would generate an uncomfortable cognitive dissonance with a text that often takes the side of – and venerates leaders who serve – the low and the downtrodden.

The only remedy is thus to declare, despite the evidence, that they are truly a persecuted minority in a country filled with other self-identified Christians, which makes a mockery of the true victims of religious oppression all around the world.

Help help I m being repressed How conservatives make a mockery of the oppression of religious minorities Adam Lee Comment is free The Guardian

Christophrenia running wild

One particularly startling quote came from Cardinal Francis George, the archbishop of Chicago, who said, “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.”

You read that right: a cardinal of the Catholic church believes that the United States is just a few years away from outlawing Catholicism.

How you get form here to there is especially disturbing.

Why don't you just leave this shit alone and go to bed.

Better yet, let me give you a nap. :slap:

That's just silly. We don't execute diddlers in the public square :rolleyes:

It’s not just him: the film as a whole unsubtly suggests that the US is poised to crush American Christians in the same way that Hitler’s Germany did theologians like Dietrich Bonhoeffer. According to Right Wing Watch’s report on the film, the Nazi analogies fly fast and furious: one interviewee even said that “the American church is slightly more attuned to the rumbling heard in the distance than the German church was in the 30s. The bad news is, only slightly, right?”.
These Christians equate not getting their own way in the political sphere – not being able to impose their idiosyncratic religious views on others with the force of law – with brutal and unjust persecution. As America becomes more diverse and less religious than ever, white conservative Christian men are losing their disproportionate influence on politics and, because they think of themselves as the natural and deserving custodians of that power, having to share it feels like a shocking injustice.
But part of the justification for their victim routine is theological: the Bible predicts that Christians will be persecuted, so these conservatives believe that it must be true. Acknowledging the true extent of both their current and historical power and influence would generate an uncomfortable cognitive dissonance with a text that often takes the side of – and venerates leaders who serve – the low and the downtrodden.

The only remedy is thus to declare, despite the evidence, that they are truly a persecuted minority in a country filled with other self-identified Christians, which makes a mockery of the true victims of religious oppression all around the world.

Help help I m being repressed How conservatives make a mockery of the oppression of religious minorities Adam Lee Comment is free The Guardian

Wanna get shot, try outlawing a religion. Last fools who tried that were the Romans, and they only made it more popular.

I dont agree with illegalizing people being brainwashed in their beliefs.

But there are so many far more pressing issues here in reality before i start giving a damn about religious persecution.

Its 2015, theres literally no excuse for a grown assed thinking person to be in these cults.

Ole not eating meat on fridays during lent little sheep.

I was attacked by a mob for sharing the gospel 15 years ago and things have gone downhill since.
Sometimes it's a matter of defining terms. For some of the more excitable religionists, "sharing" really means aggressive proselytizing, in-your-face aggressive salesmanship and basically not understanding that thumping others with your books, icons, idols, beads, etc., is harassment.

Well I have not seen the film(s) you refer to and perhaps some of the quotes are taking things a bit far, but I would agree that Christians in the United States get hammered on a lot for their beliefs. I disagree with you that it is because of political influence. Certainly people of faith would like a government that represents their views, but so do atheists. That all gets sorted out through the voting process and the SCOTUS. I think where Christians feel attacked is in two main areas:

1) The right to voice their beliefs. This is beyond the idea of the 10 commandments on government buildings and stuff like that. Many Christians have the true belief that their freedom to practice their religion is being subjugated because they feel like the moment they mention Jesus in public they are going to be shouted down by a liberal opponent or an atheist or the like. Keep in mind some atheists can be every bit as militant as some aggressive fringe Christian groups. You want the freedom to be yourself in public. Christians want the same thing and, whether true or not, they often feel like they cannot be without being attacked.

2) I think they see some contradictions in the way liberals, in particular, approach religion. Again, whether true or not, liberals have gained the reputation of blasting Christians while defending Muslims. Now let me clarify. I am not suggesting that liberals defend Muslim extremists or terrorists, but I would certainly argue that they are far more tolerant of Islam than they are of Christianity...at least it appears that way. For example, when there were plans to build the Ground Zero Mosque, many liberals screeched about freedom of religion and defended their right to build a mosque on what Americans see as 'sacred ground'. Where is that fervor for freedom of religion from the left when it involves a Christian issue? I can't say I see it too often....maybe I am wrong.

So I think that perhaps the statements in the OP by some of those church leaders exaggerate things, but I am far less convinced that there is not at least a kernel of truth behind the rhetoric.

it is a truism that these things start out small, then escalate.history is a great teacher for those who pay attention.those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. and guess what? no one's paying attention.and before you go and criticize my grammar, I'm dictating this on my cell phone and I haven't figured out how to insert capitals yet.

yet, you continue to persecute Christians.

Hypocrite much?

Forum List

Back