Christians attempt to silence non-religious messages at Christmas

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to coin atheist as a "religion" simply because there is a belief system involved. That essentially makes the belief of anything equivilent to a religion.. which is stupid as hell. Believing in gravity does not make one a worshiper of gravity. Believing that water is wet doesn't make a person pray to water.

fucking dogma junkies.

The fact remains you are trying to shove YOUR beliefs on nonbelievers.

EXACTLY what you rail against.

How is that hate speech? Pompous perhaps but I fail to see it being hateful.

Does it seem like fighting words to Christians? Maybe so. Perhaps the Menorah and the Nativity on government property seemed that way to atheists.

I'm not saying anything so far discussed is hate speech, it's just not an argument I think anyone can prove, but I do think what the atheist have on their sign isn't ok to put up next to a nativity scene. Likewise, I don't think it would be right for Christians to put up a sign saying what you said. I don't think there's anything wrong with Christians discussing the consequences of non-belief in their own space though.

Except under our Constitution that type of speech isn't supposed to be limited to people's "own space." The government isn't supposed to discriminate against political and religious speech based on viewpoint.

If you believe that than you have to believe that any similar religious scene does the same thing.

Atheists have just as much right to express their beliefs as Christians do. The problem I have with this sign is that I don't see their beliefs being expressed but rather they are insulting other's religion. Yes freedom of speech covers everyone but freedom of speech while respecting others is apparently beyond the grasp of some.

As a Christian, I really don't care if someone wants to put that sign up next to a nativity scene.

Yes, it is deliberately insulting.
Yes, it is asinine to compare the two as one depicts a scene of a baby and the other makes an overt attack against an entire group of people.

That being said, I'm pretty sure God is bigger than one sign and can handle himself. Let the childish people act the way they want. Furthermore, if you are worried that your child could be influenced by that one sign, make sure to take it as a teaching point for your beliefs. Be proactive; this world will throw a lot more than one sign at your kids.

As a Christian, I really don't care if someone wants to put that sign up next to a nativity scene.

Yes, it is deliberately insulting.
Yes, it is asinine to compare the two as one depicts a scene of a baby and the other makes an overt attack against an entire group of people.

That being said, I'm pretty sure God is bigger than one sign and can handle himself. Let the childish people act the way they want. Furthermore, if you are worried that your child could be influenced by that one sign, make sure to take it as a teaching point for your beliefs. Be proactive; this world will throw a lot more than one sign at your kids.

Particularly if you teach your kid to be a bigot, to sneer and antagonize and attempt to subjugate those of other religions.

Here's the big problem with the sign, and most atheists in general. The sign does not state that it is someone's belief that there is no God; it states it as fact. Atheists are arrogant, self-centered people who believe they are smarter than everyone else because they are smart enough to deny the existence of God.

As a Christian, I state that it is my belief that God is there for us. You can believe what ever you choose to believe, but don't tell me I'm wrong and you are right, because you have no more proof than I do.

Atheists who support all bans on religion in anything that may be connected to everyday life are no different than the fundamentalists of any religion that can't just be happy believing what they believe and leaving everyone else alone.

Reciprocity, baby. Christians shove their beliefs into public discourse every single fucking day. There is a church on every corner, but that isn't good enough, they have to erect the manger scene on public property. I guarantee that there were no fewer than three major churches in close proximity to that capital building because THERE ALWAYS ARE. Why didn't those churches choose to put up big public displays rather than expecting the state to do so?

Atheists have just as much right to express their beliefs as Christians do. The problem I have with this sign is that I don't see their beliefs being expressed but rather they are insulting other's religion. Yes freedom of speech covers everyone but freedom of speech while respecting others is apparently beyond the grasp of some.

Except that atheists DO believe that religion is myth and that it clouds the minds of believers. That IS a statement of atheist beliefs, whether you like it or not, just like a Christian telling me that I'm going to burn in hell for eternity is a statement of evangelical belief.

I don't believe either are hate speech, in fact, I find the very concept of hate speech un-American. Americans have FREE speech, which means that we tolerate even that which offends us because that's what freedom of speech means.

America is tough stuff. It's a high level class, not civics 101. It means defending the speech that makes you want to punch someone in the face because that is the epitomy of free speech. Government does not have a role in determining the way speech is conducted in public, or in determining which religion will be the predominant one. Government is NEUTRAL in such issues.

Some Americans clearly aren't cut out for America, and need to move to Canada where they can be wrapped in bubble wrap and looked after by nanny lest they ever be offended again. Their widdle feewings are far too tender for this country.

America is tough stuff. It's a high level class, not civics 101. It means defending the speech that makes you want to punch someone in the face because that is the epitomy of free speech.

You stole that line from a movie and didn't give credit.

-5 points for plagiarism. :tongue:

Here's the big problem with the sign, and most atheists in general. The sign does not state that it is someone's belief that there is no God; it states it as fact. Atheists are arrogant, self-centered people who believe they are smarter than everyone else because they are smart enough to deny the existence of God.

As a Christian, I state that it is my belief that God is there for us. You can believe what ever you choose to believe, but don't tell me I'm wrong and you are right, because you have no more proof than I do.

Atheists who support all bans on religion in anything that may be connected to everyday life are no different than the fundamentalists of any religion that can't just be happy believing what they believe and leaving everyone else alone.

And atheists also support the banning of the bible and the elimination of church via legislation which declares anything Christians say or believe in or quote from the bible as "hate speech".

You stole that line from a movie and didn't give credit.

-5 points for plagiarism. :tongue:

I rephrased it, DAMMIT!

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours....Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free".

The American President (1995)

-5 points for being a snitch. ;)

Last edited:
And atheists also support the banning of the bible and the elimination of church via legislation which declares anything Christians say or believe in or quote from the bible as "hate speech".

We aren't stealing your bible, and you can read my comments below as someone who is non-theistic. We want EQUAL representation, not to silence you. Clearly, some of you can't handle equality.

Except that atheists DO believe that religion is myth and that it clouds the minds of believers. That IS a statement of atheist beliefs, whether you like it or not, just like a Christian telling me that I'm going to burn in hell for eternity is a statement of evangelical belief.

I don't believe either are hate speech, in fact, I find the very concept of hate speech un-American. Americans have FREE speech, which means that we tolerate even that which offends us because that's what freedom of speech means.

America is tough stuff. It's a high level class, not civics 101. It means defending the speech that makes you want to punch someone in the face because that is the epitomy of free speech. Government does not have a role in determining the way speech is conducted in public, or in determining which religion will be the predominant one. Government is NEUTRAL in such issues.

Some Americans clearly aren't cut out for America, and need to move to Canada where they can be wrapped in bubble wrap and looked after by nanny lest they ever be offended again. Their widdle feewings are far too tender for this country.

Like I said, freedom of speech while respecting others is apparently beyond the grasp of some.

Forum List

Back