Christians and Anger

The church I attended last discussed it in length, and offers anger management classes. IIRC, the sermon was from the Book of Acts.

While Jesus did overturn the moneychangers' tables in the Temple, he preached pacification and forgiveness.
there are several kinds of anger in the bible
i used to know how to explain, but sadly, i have forgot

The church I attended last discussed it in length, and offers anger management classes. IIRC, the sermon was from the Book of Acts.

While Jesus did overturn the moneychangers' tables in the Temple, he preached pacification and forgiveness.

Don't you think there is a difference between anger and wrath? In Buddhism wrath is taught as different from anger. Wrath is a form of compassion.

Actually, in the lower yanas, it may be about 'reaching nirvana'. In the higher teachings, it's about finding the equalness in samsara and nirvana.

Self improvement and enlightenment seem pretty worthy things for religions to be about. Other than the fact that people love to watch you fail when you claim you are trying to live by a certain standard. :lol:

Self improvement and enlightenment seem pretty worthy things for religions to be about. Other than the fact that people love to watch you fail when you claim you are trying to live by a certain standard. :lol:
aint that the honest truth

Of course. That's because cynicism is such a strong habit. We love to see people fail.

On the other hand, a really sincere practitioner of any faith will tell you honestly, we fail daily.

they need to be read in context too
no single scripture stands alone

Of course, context is important. But on the other hand, some scriptures are able to 'stand alone'.

Of course, context is important. But on the other hand, some scriptures are able to 'stand alone'.
better after your edit
but they still need to be taken in context for the full meaning of what was said
you also need to check other translations and research the original text to see if there are other possible meanings to be gathered

Not against an full frontal analytical and semantic attack. People never fail to disagree when they try to.
I have no idea what you are talking about in this post. You lost me.

better after your edit
but they still need to be taken in context for the full meaning of what was said
you also need to check other translations and research the original text to see if there are other possible meanings to be gathered

Yes, that's true. I find that in Buddhist teachings as well. Some of the sanskrit and tibetan words do not translate well into english. That's why lineage is so important to us in Buddhism.

You have to have teachings from a great master of awareness, rather than relying on your own conceptual understanding of a scripture. At least, in my path, that's so.

The whole point, is to have direct experience.

Yes, that's true. I find that in Buddhist teachings as well. Some of the sanskrit and tibetan words do not translate well into english. That's why lineage is so important to us in Buddhism.

You have to have teachings from a great master of awareness, rather than relying on your own conceptual understanding of a scripture. At least, in my path, that's so.

The whole point, is to have direct experience.
there are scriptures in the bible that can be used to teach several different things, and all be correct
the problems most run into are usually in the area of translations
the KJV translators did their best in deciding which word to use when there was no one word available to do a word for word translation
but, they had to even create words in the process
that is one of the issues with the KJV, they were opperating under the begining of the book of Relelations where it talks about the "adding to or taking from" the word
they wanted to keep it in a word for word translation
thats why i will cross refference things to find out more in depth revelation
one of my favorite translation is the amplified bible

Does Christianity say that anger is good? I'm just curious. It's a big subject in my path, what about in Christianity?

Anger is a perfectly normal emotion. Being a good Christian doesn't mean you have to pretend you no longer have the ability to feel certain emotions -as if to be a really good Christian means only having a short list of the full range of emotions everyone else has. Emotions are not right or wrong. What you choose to do as a result of feeling an emotion could be right or wrong though.

Using your anger to justify inflicting harm on others is wrong. Responding to your anger in a contructive manner in order to produce a positive outcome or greater understanding of the situation that caused the anger - is not. But in neither instance is the anger itself right or wrong. Only what actions you choose to take as a result of feeling angry can be right or wrong. Christians rely on their faith in Christ and the Bible for guidance in making good decisions, for the support in trying to do the right thing, in trying to respond appropriately and positively to whatever emotion they may feel -and for solace when they fail -and for the loving encouragement to pick themselves up and try again.

The Bible mentions several instances of God's anger. Jesus experienced anger at the sight of moneychangers on the temple steps. If man was created in God's image, then there is no way God created man to have a wider range of emotions than He has. If anything, it is far more likely to be the other way around -that God has an even wider range of emotions, some of which man just isn't capable of experiencing.

Anger is one of the five poisons of the mind in my path. It is the emotion that most leads to violence.

Your belief that God is angry doesn't make a bit of sense to me. If God is God why would he have ordinary emotions like anger?

1 Lust (Latin, luxuria)
2 Gluttony (Latin, gula)
3 Greed (Latin, avaritia)
4 Sloth (Latin, acedia)
5 Wrath (Latin, ira)
6 Envy (Latin, invidia)
7 Pride (Latin, superbia)

hmm out of those 7 deadly sins...I guess id like wrath the best.

I don't remember what book or chapter, but Jesus also got angry when he saw people gambling in the house of the Lord. He overturned the tables and scolded them for their behavior.

Anger is a natural response. It is only when logic is given way to anger that it can be harmful. Skydancer, do you think christians are angry?

Not gambling, money changers and lenders inside the House of Worship. Jesus teaches forgiveness. He tells us to turn the other cheek and to forgiven our enemies. In the Old Testament God instructed the Jews on several occasions to go to war. In the New testament we are instructed to leave to Ceasar those things that are his and to leave to God those that are his. Jesus does not advocate violence, he teaches peace and forgiveness.

Jesus teaches non-violence, yet the Old Testament does not. The Bible includes both Old and New Testaments.

How do Christians resolve the apparent contradictions in the Bible?

Forum List

Back