Christians and Anger

I'm wondering about some of the other religions in the world, Judaism, Islam, Christianity and thinking that some folks appear to feel as though their RELIGION teaches them that anger and condemnation of others is part of their path.

It's not a part of Buddhism. It's something I work very hard to overcome, and it is a lifelong challenge for me, personally.

Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Colossians 3:8
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

I'm wondering about some of the other religions in the world, Judaism, Islam, Christianity and thinking that some folks appear to feel as though their RELIGION teaches them that anger and condemnation of others is part of their path.

It's not a part of Buddhism. It's something I work very hard to overcome, and it is a lifelong challenge for me, personally.

Yeah, I remember you asking Cecile if she could overcome her anger in the "death penalty" thread.

How do you overcome anger?

Some little qips I have read by Buddhists say that if someone makes you angry you should ask them to be your teacher,

Yeah, I remember you asking Cecile if she could overcome her anger in the "death penalty" thread.

How do you overcome anger?

Buddhism teaches a number of ways, and I have to use each and everyone of them.

The best way, is to just 'sit' with it, and let the feeling burn. Say nothing, do nothing, just be with it, until it dissolves.

Short of that, there are many other techniques/methods taught in Buddhism, from mindfulness exercises to contemplations.

One of the benefits of being a Buddhist, is there are ways to purify anger when I screw up--which I admit, happens more than I'd prefer.

Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Colossians 3:8
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Thanks, I knew I could count on you. What do you do with these passages? Do you contemplate them, and then meditate? Do you pray?

Just interested. I have alot of respect for anyone who is trying to overcome anger, and who doesn't think anger is a virtue.

Buddhism teaches a number of ways, and I have to use each and everyone of them.

The best way, is to just 'sit' with it, and let the feeling burn. Say nothing, do nothing, just be with it, until it dissolves.

Short of that, there are many other techniques/methods taught in Buddhism, from mindfulness exercises to contemplations.

One of the benefits of being a Buddhist, is there are ways to purify anger when I screw up--which I admit, happens more than I'd prefer.

Lose the ego and you lose the anger. Anger is just things not gonig the way you want them too.

Some little qips I have read by Buddhists say that if someone makes you angry you should ask them to be your teacher,

You don't have to ask them formally. If someone makes you angry, they are your teacher, but only if you are willing to let them be your teacher.

How they are your teacher is they show you to yourself. They help you see your own non-virtue, but in a kind way.

We can all be each others teachers.

Lose the ego and you lose the anger. Anger is just things not gonig the way you want them too.
Losing the ego is not something that comes without a great deal of effort. Until the effort itself become effortless, and the anger dissolves on its own.

And, BTW, I agree. I don't think God cares if you call the Bible a 'big ass collection of books'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I knew I could count on you. What do you do with these passages? Do you contemplate them, and then meditate? Do you pray?

Just interested. I have alot of respect for anyone who is trying to overcome anger, and who doesn't think anger is a virtue.
I have never really had a lot of anger. I do have a few things that agitate me though. I read the Bible fairly often. It is more of a confirmation for things that I already know in my heart at this point in life. When I was younger I spent a lot of lonely nights worried how I would be able to take care of my littles ones and I would fall asleep reading the scriptures. Back then it was more of a battle with what I heard people say that I should accept or do as far as life here on earth goes. Uneducated and divorce at such a young age I was encourage to marry for security/money etc... I could not accept all that worldly advice. It just wasn't in my heart.

I had dreams and hopes I suppose you could call prayers. These were all answered. Most all in more ways than I had ever hoped for or expected.

I have never really had a lot of anger. I do have a few things that agitate me though. I read the Bible fairly often. It is more of a confirmation for things that I already know in my heart at this point in life. When I was younger I spent a lot of lonely nights worried how I would be able to take care of my littles ones and I would fall asleep reading the scriptures. Back then it was more of a battle with what I heard people say that I should accept or do as far as life here on earth goes. Uneducated and divorce at such a young age I was encourage to marry for security/money etc... I could not accept all that worldly advice. It just wasn't in my heart.

I had dreams and hopes I suppose you could call prayers. These were all answered. Most all in more ways than I had ever hoped for or expected.

Lovely answer. Thank you. It's sweet to get to know you a bit in this way. I have a struggle with anger. If I didn't have a lot of it, I would never have survived my childhood.

they need to be read in context too
no single scripture stands alone

I think Christians don't have teachings about anger, that's all. I don't think Chrisitans are inherently more angry than other human beings, I just don't see that their teachings cover anger and hatred, so much.

Anger is a big topic in Buddhism. It is considered one of the five poisons of the mind, and the most serious one.

The church I attended last discussed it in length, and offers anger management classes. IIRC, the sermon was from the Book of Acts.

While Jesus did overturn the moneychangers' tables in the Temple, he preached pacification and forgiveness.

Is it not an entire excericise to reach Nirvana ?

Actually, in the lower yanas, it may be about 'reaching nirvana'. In the higher teachings, it's about finding the equalness in samsara and nirvana.

New Topics

Forum List

Back