Christians and Anger

S

sky dancer

Does Christianity say that anger is good? I'm just curious. It's a big subject in my path, what about in Christianity?

God has gotten angry. He got angry at his people because they were sinful and the only man he sought fit to save was Noah.

So, are you saying that Christians are into anger, because God is into anger?

The religion itself encourages forgiveness so I would so no---Christianity isn't into anger. What people do with it is up to interpretation.
What do you think of Political Chic's post? That seems to oppose your view.

What do you think of Political Chic's post? That seems to oppose your view.

If the old testament says God got mad and wiped everyone out but Noah because they were sinners, that's what it says. There weren't even any Christians around when that supposedly happened tho.

If the old testament says God got mad and wiped everyone out but Noah because they were sinners, that's what it says. There weren't even any Christians around when that supposedly happened tho.

So, it's the OT believers who are into anger and vengeance? The NT doesn't deal with anger and hatred?

Is that what you're saying?

I don't remember what book or chapter, but Jesus also got angry when he saw people gambling in the house of the Lord. He overturned the tables and scolded them for their behavior.

Anger is a natural response. It is only when logic is given way to anger that it can be harmful. Skydancer, do you think christians are angry?

I think Christians don't have teachings about anger, that's all. I don't think Chrisitans are inherently more angry than other human beings, I just don't see that their teachings cover anger and hatred, so much.

Anger is a big topic in Buddhism. It is considered one of the five poisons of the mind, and the most serious one.

So, it's the OT believers who are into anger and vengeance? The NT doesn't deal with anger and hatred?

Is that what you're saying?

There are several authors of the New Testament who all have a little different angle on things. Love and forgiveness are encouraged so I guess is sort of a critique of anger by default.
The OT is jewish history and religious law.

Biblical anger

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

---The next two are quite interesting since it seems to say that both the LORD and SATAN did the same thing-------

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
----------------------------------

(JER 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

I think Christians don't have teachings about anger, that's all. I don't think Chrisitans are inherently more angry than other human beings, I just don't see that their teachings cover anger and hatred, so much.

Anger is a big topic in Buddhism. It is considered one of the five poisons of the mind, and the most serious one.

Anger is one of the 7 Deadly Sins.

Biblical anger

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

---The next two are quite interesting since it seems to say that both the LORD and SATAN did the same thing-------

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
----------------------------------

(JER 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

ya--the Jews version of God is quite different

So the Bible supports anger in human beings?

I thought desire was the root of all buddhist evil. That and ego

Forum List

Back