"Christianity" is not a religion.

I don't care what a dictionary say's,it also says hell is a place where people are tormented. NO,Christianity is not a religion. If Christianity was a religion we would all be going to the same church. Religion is a creation of man ,not God. Did Abraham need a religion ? Did Joshua or job need a religion ? A Christian is anyone who accepts and puts faith in the son of God.

Actually, yes they all did. And they worshiped God as He directed.

I don't care what a dictionary say's,it also says hell is a place where people are tormented. NO,Christianity is not a religion. If Christianity was a religion we would all be going to the same church. Religion is a creation of man ,not God. Did Abraham need a religion ? Did Joshua or job need a religion ? A Christian is anyone who accepts and puts faith in the son of God.

Actually, yes they all did. And they worshiped God as He directed.

Identify the religion ?

Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ.

^ Horseshit.

Really. Did Christ teach the doctrine of purgatory? Did Christ teach that only the Catholic church can grant forgiveness of sins? Did Christ teach that the pope was infallible? Did Christ teach that the sacraments are essential to salvation?

In every religion, there are the beliefs taught by the founder of that faith. Then, there are the beliefs and administration that grow up to supplement and surround the original teachings. Each of the cases I've provided has extensive divergence from the beliefs of the founder (Christ). In sum total, the Catholic church is much more Paulian in nature than it is Christian.

christ was not a "christian" ...he was a jew. He did not preach "christianity"

What followed and worshiped him was the start of christianity.

Do i believe chiristianiay is a religion?

i believe christianity is a cult like all other cults. Just a popular well organized, and funded cult.

^ Horseshit.

Really. Did Christ teach the doctrine of purgatory? Did Christ teach that only the Catholic church can grant forgiveness of sins? Did Christ teach that the pope was infallible? Did Christ teach that the sacraments are essential to salvation?

In every religion, there are the beliefs taught by the founder of that faith. Then, there are the beliefs and administration that grow up to supplement and surround the original teachings. Each of the cases I've provided has extensive divergence from the beliefs of the founder (Christ). In sum total, the Catholic church is much more Paulian in nature than it is Christian.

i believe christianity is a cult like all other cults. Just a popular well organized, and funded cult.
do you think Islam is a cult??

do you think Islam is a cult??

Yes.

Short answer: boiled down to its most fundamental understanding, Christianity is not a religion but is a relationship. A relationship that mandates no rules, no creed, no dogma, no rituals, but that is freeing, life changing in all good ways and provides assurance that this life is but a stepping stone into the next.

But humankind, being imperfect and incapable of a perfect relationship with God/Christ creates a religion around the figure and fills it with rules, creeds, dogma, and rituals all intended to get closer to that perfect relationship or at least be obedient to it.

Personally, I think when we are privy to meet with the Christ, face to face, we are all going to be really surprised to find out that He is interested in us and the purity of our hearts and is mostly disinterested in our theology and our rituals to demonstrate it. We'll be embarrased at how much we got wrong. But I think he gives us an E for effort just because we go through so much to please him, and it does have the effect of drawing people into the relationship so probably most of it is all good. :)

apparently the poster who made this statement is not willing to defend it

Well, by definition, Christianity is a religion. Said poster would have to show how it's not.

By definition...it is also a cult.

It could be, though putting it that way only really serves to condescend, and insult them. I believe in coexistence, not evangelism. It's wrong when they force their beliefs on Atheists and Agnostics, so why should we treat them the same? It's obnoxious, and I refuse to lower myself to the standards of the Falwell's and Robertson's of the world.

Well, by definition, Christianity is a religion. Said poster would have to show how it's not.

It could be, though putting it that way only really serves to condescend, and insult them. I believe in coexistence, not evangelism. It's wrong when they force their beliefs on Atheists and Agnostics, so why should we treat them the same? It's obnoxious, and I refuse to lower myself to the standards of the Falwell's and Robertson's of the world.

If the truth is insulting..... tough. There is no "could be" ... christianity fits the very definition of a cult. It is a "religion" based on a cult following of a single man.

Christianity is a religion because it contains structure and has a hierarchy. Those are the only reasons I would consider it a religion. In my opinion I would consider it a tool of oppression.

Hmm, where does the hierarchy come in at?

a : a ruling body of clergy organized into orders or ranks each subordinate to the one above it; especially : the bishops of a province or nation.

The central theme of Christianity is the virgin birth, and that relies on an intact hymen. Without the emaculate conception the entire cult falls apart. Ie. Hymen Cult.

Further, there is broad misinterpretation between cult groups and members that further dilutes any unity under one umbrella.

So I see it more as diverse cult groups.

Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ.

^ Horseshit.

pseudo intellectual

Christianity is a religion because it contains structure and has a hierarchy. Those are the only reasons I would consider it a religion. In my opinion I would consider it a tool of oppression.

a : a ruling body of clergy organized into orders or ranks each subordinate to the one above it; especially : the bishops of a province or nation.

The central theme of Christianity is the virgin birth, and that relies on an intact hymen. Without the emaculate conception the entire cult falls apart. Ie. Hymen Cult.

Further, there is broad misinterpretation between cult groups and members that further dilutes any unity under one umbrella.

More like you cant have the son of gods mother being a slut/harlot.... It is easier to say you have the son of god from a virgin birth then to say you got down and dirty with some unknown roman soldier in the bushes.

That being said. It is a cult....as all religions are cults.

If the truth is insulting..... tough. There is no "could be" ... christianity fits the very definition of a cult. It is a "religion" based on a cult following of a single man.
I'm not impressed with the uncompromising tough guy act, because all it does is prove that you're no better than your percieved opposition.

I'm not impressed with the uncompromising tough guy act, because all it does is prove that you're no better than your percieved opposition.

Nothing tough guy about it.... if you don't believe me...look it up in the dictionary.

More like you cant have the son of gods mother being a slut/harlot.... It is easier to say you have the son of god from a virgin birth then to say you got down and dirty with some unknown roman soldier in the bushes.

That being said. It is a cult....as all religions are cults.

Political parties, atheist, and scientist would fall under the definition of cult members to.

Cult | Define Cult at Dictionary.com

cult
   [kuhlt] Show IPA
–noun
a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
the members of such a religion or sect.
any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Forum List

Back