"Christianity" is not a religion.

What doctrines did Christ teach, specifically? How many churches today follow Christ's teachings from the Sermon on the Mount, for instance?

The Beatitudes
He said:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Salt and Light
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

The Fulfillment of the Law
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Murder
21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[c] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[d] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Adultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Divorce
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Oaths
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[g]
Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Love for Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

How many modern churches have as a primary tenet to be poor in spirit? Or to love your enemies?

Last edited:
I don't care about criticism, per se. I do care about falsehood.

And you obviously don't know shit.

I've actually presented arguments on this thread. You've demonstrated your need for tampons, because clearly, it's your time of the month.

Tampon jokes? Already? :lol:

Well, at least it shows you realize how inadequate your alleged 'arguments' are. :thup:

I don't care about criticism, per se. I do care about falsehood.

And you obviously don't know shit.

I've actually presented arguments on this thread. You've demonstrated your need for tampons, because clearly, it's your time of the month.

Tampon jokes? Already? :lol:

Well, at least it shows you realize how inadequate your alleged 'arguments' are. :thup:

Tell me, Manifold. Which doctrines of Christ are key tenets of your faith?

no this is not a troll thread....i was told this by another poster...i was surprised by the statement and want to see who agrees with it or not

I was surprised by that contention, also.

I'd say the assertion is wrong.

It is quite clear to me that Christianity IS a religion. It is not one, unified monolithic, religion. Catholics and Episcopalians and Baptists and Methodists, etc, are certainly not all practicing precisely the SAME religion in ONE sense. But they are all under the umbrella of the same religion: Christianity.

Definition of RELIGION
a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
&#8212; re·li·gion·less adjective
Religion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Christians all "believe" (to whatever extent their faith leads them) in the teachings of Jesus. Christians (again to the extent of their faith) "believe" that Jesus was the Son of God and the Messiah, the Savior. This is true regardless of denomination.

So, no. It is untrue to claim that Christianity is not a religion.

[
It is quite clear to me that Christianity IS a religion. It is not one, unified monolithic, religion. Catholics and Episcopalians and Baptists and Methodists, etc, are certainly not all practicing precisely the SAME religion in ONE sense. But they are all under the umbrella of the same religion: Christianity.

Definition of RELIGION
a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
&#8212; re·li·gion·less adjective

Christians all "believe" (to whatever extent their faith leads them) in the teachings of Jesus. Christians (again to the extent of their faith) "believe" that Jesus was the Son of God and the Messiah, the Savior. This is true regardless of denomination.

I guess my argument would be that some sects within Christianity are sufficiently evolved away from the original message of Christ as to represent their own stand-alone religion. Mormonism is a good example. Catholicism is another possible example. Some protestant denominations are the same way. Christianity is in essence becoming a meaningless term because the sects are distinctly different from one another, and don't share key doctrines. Especially the LDS (Mormon) church.

I will say that many so-called Christian denominations do not consider either Mormonism or Catholicism to be "Christian." And similarly, the Mormon Church and the Catholic hierarchy don't consider protestant churches to be Christian, per se. They consider sects outside of their own denomination to be idolatrous and deluded. What that means to me is that the denomination is more important than the shared vision of Christ (aka Christianity).

Let me put it like this: Catholicism considers itself to be THE ONLY Christian church (The Holy Catholic (Universal) Church). Ditto the Mormons. And, the Baptists are almost as insular.

Last edited:
[

Definition of RELIGION
— re·li·gion·less adjective

I guess my argument would be that some sects within Christianity are sufficiently evolved away from the original message of Christ as to represent their own stand-alone religion. Mormonism is a good example. Catholicism is another possible example. Some protestant denominations are the same way. Christianity is in essence becoming a meaningless term because the sects are distinctly different from one another, and don't share key doctrines. Especially the LDS (Mormon) church.

I will say that many so-called Christian denominations do not consider either Mormonism or Catholicism to be "Christian." And similarly, the Mormon Church and the Catholic hierarchy don't consider protestant churches to be Christian, per se. They consider sects outside of their own denomination to be idolatrous and deluded. What that means to me is that the denomination is more important than the shared vision of Christ (aka Christianity).

Let me put it like this: Catholicism considers itself to be THE ONLY Christian church (The Holy Catholic (Universal) Church). Ditto the Mormons. And, the Baptists are almost as insular.

I understand the distinction you rely upon, but I guess I just disagree. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) are knocked as not being "Christian" by some, yet they CLEARLY place stock in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Catholicism may have some elements of ceremony that has little if anything to do with the original teachings of Jesus Christ, but Catholics absolutely adhere in principle to those teachings as the very core of their Christian faith.

As for what Catholics believe about other denominations, you are making claims that are unsupported. I have NEVER heard of any Catholic who denies that protestants are also Christians. The official position has to be that the Protestants have strayed, but hey still recognize the Protestant religion as being PART of the Christian faith.

How many modern churches have as a primary tenet to be poor in spirit? Or to love your enemies?

Aside from the Catholic Church, I don't know.
2262 In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord recalls the commandment, "You shall not kill,"62 and adds to it the proscription of anger, hatred, and vengeance. Going further, Christ asks his disciples to turn the other cheek, to love their enemies.63 He did not defend himself and told Peter to leave his sword in its sheath.64
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The fifth commandment

Here's a Catholic homily about being poor in spirit:

Blessed are the poor in spirit - Catholic homilies, sermons, inspirations, gospels

The Catholic church certainly teaches these things. That doesn't mean Catholics follow them. Why I know a Catholic that certainly doesn't love his enemies, and fact wants to burn their books. :lol:

The definition of Christianity is that it's a religion where Jesus is considered the son of God, and salvation is imparted upon those who accept him.

The different sects of Christianity... they're still all Christian. They belong to the one church of God..Bones how much have you delved into the bible? Corinthians and Acts lay out exactly what the church is, and the church is, of course, the religion of Christ..i.e., Christianity. Paul spoke to many different churches (and Corinthians and Acts are the record of what he said to them) and was adamant that we should not get hung up on DOCTRINE (the different methods/traditions in the church).

I understand the distinction you rely upon, but I guess I just disagree. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) are knocked as not being "Christian" by some, yet they CLEARLY place stock in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Catholicism may have some elements of ceremony that has little if anything to do with the original teachings of Jesus Christ, but Catholics absolutely adhere in principle to those teachings as the very core of their Christian faith.

As for what Catholics believe about other denominations, you are making claims that are unsupported. I have NEVER heard of any Catholic who denies that protestants are also Christians. The official position has to be that the Protestants have strayed, but hey still recognize the Protestant religion as being PART of the Christian faith.

I think that's entirely fair. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate in this thread. I think it can be argued that the different sects have literally become different religions, but it can also be argued that they are different facets of the same religion. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

It would be fun to post a poll and ask people whether Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses are christian. I suspect you'd get rather mixed results.

Do you agree with this statement?

"Christianity" is not a religion.

please post your reasons with your answer.

That's true[ish] If you think a grouping is required to be a religion.

Catholics
Baptist
Jews
Muslims
Mormons

Those are religions. they are organisations complete with heirarchies [ranks].

Chistians are people that beleive in Christ. No church is required.

I would be considered a Christian. Much of what he taught was brilliant, but then I'd also be a Buddist, Taoist, etc, etc...

I suppose that it could be argued that there is wide enough divergence amongst the beliefs of different branches of Christianity that they are separate beliefs systems on their own. For instance, Catholicism and Mormonism are often lumped under Christianity, but there are huge differences between Catholicism, Mormonism, and what the Baptists believe, for instance.

If you research, you find that Mormonism is much more about the teachings of Joseph Smith than it is about the teachings of Christ. Christ is a bit player in Joseph's story. Similarly, Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ. And, I found much the same when I was growing up S. Baptist. The doctrines that were chosen by the church hierarchy as important were what was important, not the totality of what Christ taught, in my experience. The churches that call themselves Christian could just as accurately refer to themselves as Paulian, since Paul's writings influenced their beliefs as much or more than Christ himself.

Since what you claim about Catholicism is bullshit, I'm inclined to think you're talking out of your ass.

I think that's entirely fair. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate in this thread. I think it can be argued that the different sects have literally become different religions, but it can also be argued that they are different facets of the same religion. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

It would be fun to post a poll and ask people whether Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses are christian. I suspect you'd get rather mixed results.

So, now you got called on your bullshit, you're playing 'devil's advocate'? :lol::lol::lol: Yea, right.

So, now you got called on your bullshit, you're playing 'devil's advocate'? :lol::lol::lol: Yea, right.

:lmao:

What? Did you really think that you're the only poster who should be allowed to attempt the backpedal kick save? :lol:

no this is not a troll thread....i was told this by another poster...i was surprised by the statement and want to see who agrees with it or not

Sounds like someone painted themselves into a corner decided that when it comes to silliness, in for a penny, in for a pound.

It would be nice to know the context. Otherwise, I have to agree with Two thumbs that faith is separate from the veblenesque structure that is built up around it.

From my initial post in this thread...

I suppose that it could be argued that there is wide enough divergence amongst the beliefs of different branches of Christianity that they are separate beliefs systems on their own.

It's your own damn fault if you reacted emotionally to something that was merely Devil's Advocating. You'd think that Manifold does it often enough to recognize it when it happens....but, apparently, his sacred cows are sacred. ;)

From my initial post in this thread...

I suppose that it could be argued that there is wide enough divergence amongst the beliefs of different branches of Christianity that they are separate beliefs systems on their own.

It's your own damn fault if you reacted emotionally to something that was merely Devil's Advocating. You'd think that Manifold does it often enough to recognize it when it happens....but, apparently, his sacred cows are sacred. ;)

:lmao:

I didn't disagree with that part. It's what you claimed about Catholicism that was bullshit.

Backpedal fail. :thup:

Sorry bout that,

1. There is no other God, but Jesus Christ.
2. *ALL* other so called beliefs are idols, and nothing of value, worthless, pointless, and lead to destruction.
3. The Jews are locked into the old covenant, which makes them sheltered from *ALL* consternation from God, seeing that *ALL* truth comes from the Jews, even Jesus is a Jew, and born of a Jewish women, Mary.
4. All the Prophets over the ages were mostly Jews, and most of what God shared with mankind, passed through a Jews hand before being released to the world.
5. So you would have to be a fool, to try and squeeze the Jews out of a prominent place in Gods, heart.
6. So the Jews have a real religion, and so does the Christians, period.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sounds like someone painted themselves into a corner decided that when it comes to silliness, in for a penny, in for a pound.

It would be nice to know the context. Otherwise, I have to agree with Two thumbs that faith is separate from the veblenesque structure that is built up around it.

:thewave:

Woo Hoo!!

I got ageed with!!

Forum List

Back