"Christianity" is not a religion.

Sorry bout that,

1. Is this a *troll* thread?
2. Or is it a way for the atheists to rant?
3. I love watching atheists rant, I hope its that!:lol:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

no this is not a troll thread....i was told this by another poster...i was surprised by the statement and want to see who agrees with it or not

Individuals can and should strive to be Christ-like.

Religion is the forming huge collectives and building monsterous organizations and churches with heirarchies.

So no, I don't think Christianity in and of itself is a religion.

I suppose that it could be argued that there is wide enough divergence amongst the beliefs of different branches of Christianity that they are separate beliefs systems on their own. For instance, Catholicism and Mormonism are often lumped under Christianity, but there are huge differences between Catholicism, Mormonism, and what the Baptists believe, for instance.

If you research, you find that Mormonism is much more about the teachings of Joseph Smith than it is about the teachings of Christ. Christ is a bit player in Joseph's story. Similarly, Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ. And, I found much the same when I was growing up S. Baptist. The doctrines that were chosen by the church hierarchy as important were what was important, not the totality of what Christ taught, in my experience. The churches that call themselves Christian could just as accurately refer to themselves as Paulian, since Paul's writings influenced their beliefs as much or more than Christ himself.

Last edited:
Christianity is a religion because it contains structure and has a heirarchy. Those are the only reasons I would consider it a religion. In my opinion I would consider it a tool of oppression.

I saw that comment the other day as well and thought it was pretty stupid.

According to Webster, Christianity is:

: the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies

Christianity is a religion just like Islam and Judaism are religions. All three can be subdivided into various denominations, but in their totality, each is a religion IMO.

Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ.

^ Horseshit.

Really. Did Christ teach the doctrine of purgatory? Did Christ teach that only the Catholic church can grant forgiveness of sins? Did Christ teach that the pope was infallible? Did Christ teach that the sacraments are essential to salvation?

In every religion, there are the beliefs taught by the founder of that faith. Then, there are the beliefs and administration that grow up to supplement and surround the original teachings. Each of the cases I've provided has extensive divergence from the beliefs of the founder (Christ). In sum total, the Catholic church is much more Paulian in nature than it is Christian.

Catholicism's beliefs are more about the popes and the teachings of the popes than they are about Christ.

^ Horseshit.

I've probably been to over 1,000 Catholic masses in my life. Without exception, the teachings of Christ was not only discussed, but was the central theme of the Priest's homily. I honestly cannot remember one time when it was about the teachings of any pope.

^ Horseshit.

Really. Did Christ teach the doctrine of purgatory? Did Christ teach that only the Catholic church can grant forgiveness of sins? Did Christ teach that the pope was infallible? Did Christ teach that the sacraments are essential to salvation?

In every religion, there are the beliefs taught by the founder of that faith. Then, there are the beliefs and administration that grow up to supplement and surround the original teachings. Each of the cases I've provided has extensive divergence from the beliefs of the founder (Christ). In sum total, the Catholic church is much more Paulian in nature than it is Christian.

Loud and boisterous demonstrations of your ignorance is never a persuasive debate tactic.

I've probably been to over 1,000 Catholic masses in my life. Without exception, the teachings of Christ was not only discussed, but was the central theme of the Priest's homily. I honestly cannot remember one time when it was about the teachings of any pope.

Put your prejudices aside and think about what I'm saying. The mass itself was written by men. Christ didn't write the order of service. Hell, he didn't even speak Latin (he spoke Aramaic). Christ didn't create the hierarchy of priest, bishop, cardinals, and popes. Men did. Christ's teachings, when you examine them, are really pretty simple. It's men who build up a complicated hierarchy around them.

I'm not saying that the name of Christ isn't important in your church services. But, in actuality, what percentage of the mass is dedicated to reading his actual words? Even the recitation of the Apostles or Nicean creeds, did Christ write those Creeds? No. Men, in around 300 AD, sat down and distilled what they believed were the core doctines of the church into statements of faith. People died over those creeds, because any church at that time who didn't espouse these tenets was wiped out.

NICENE CREED:
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven:
[bow during the next two lines:]
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.
APOSTLES' CREED:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

Amen.

I'm not saying this to be critical of your beliefs. I don't really care. I'm just saying that an argument could be made about it. I don't really have an opinion on the subject, all Christian churches are much of a muchness to me at this point in my life.

But, you can't even put a protestant, a Catholic, and a Mormon at the same table and keep them from fighting.

You've presented your ignorant interpretation of your incomplete grasp of the facts.

And you call that an argument. :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back