Christianity is better than all other religions put together

Let me know if I didn't answer it in post #14 to your specification and I will try again.

It is a pretty simple question without any innuendo or ambiguity that I can see. It's becoming obvious that you are struggling with a simple yes or no. A real Christian with trust in his own faith would spit out the answer without delay.
You didn't see the "Yes" in post #14?

Christianity is better than all other religions put together

Your answer in #14 sounded more like a talking point than a definitive answer. I take your answer to be yes?
Yes, that was what I wrote in post #14. Yes.

Do his teachings take precedent over other beliefs or other people's teachings when they conflict, even if those other people are mentioned in the bible too?
Do his teachings take precedent over other beliefs or other people's teachings when they conflict, even if those other people are mentioned in the bible too?
Yes

The fact is, all the most advanced nations are Christian, with only a handful of exceptions. That is because the early Church was influenced by the Greek culture, with its relatively enlightened views of philosophy, science, and the arts. During the Rennaisance, there was a revival of Greek knowledge, encouraged and funded by the Catholic Church.

The nations of Islam were once advanced, but they actually regressed and became backwards. The typical Muslim home has only one book, the Koran.

The non-Christian nations of Japan and China isolated themselves, and only joined the modern world after they realized they could no longer compete without adopting Western technology.

Atheists who claim that Christianity held back science are either ignorant, or lying though their teeth. The fact is, most universities, libraries, medical schools, law schools, and hospitals were founded by Christian organizations or Christian churches, until the modern age when governments begun to pick up this function.
Did you read what you wrote?

Quite humorous considering Christians are their own witnesses so now they are tooting their own horns as well are they... Would it not be better for an outsider to say this then at least it would be more meaningful...I of course would cast my vote in the nay category and would say this although there are many types of alcohol in the world Christianity is cheaply made, brewed for a short while and is sold to the masses because it is cheap and gives them a buzz for a very short while but like they say you get what you pay for and if you want true quality Christianity just isn't it...

Yes, that was what I wrote in post #14. Yes.

Good question. Can you give me an example?

Many, but can you answer the question? I'm interested in what you actually believe. Not how well you can sidestep any one particular question. Are your beliefs firm, or do they drift which ever way is more convenient?
You're asking the wrong guy. I'm not a religious scholar or a saint. I'd have to take it on a case by case situation to work through what the right way would be. So since you have many examples maybe you could share one of them and we'd both find out together the answer. How's that?

I'm not asking what any scholar might think. I'm asking what YOU believe. If you claim certain things are good of bad based on what your religious beliefs are, your beliefs are the only ones that matter.
You don't have any examples, do you? When you come up with an example of His teaching being in conflict with the rest of the Bible, let me know.

Quite humorous considering Christians are their own witnesses so now they are tooting their own horns as well are they... Would it not be better for an outsider to say this then at least it would be more meaningful...I of course would cast my vote in the nay category and would say this although there are many types of alcohol in the world Christianity is cheaply made, brewed for a short while and is sold to the masses because it is cheap and gives them a buzz for a very short while but like they say you get what you pay for and if you want true quality Christianity just isn't it...
Thank you for your opinion.

Many, but can you answer the question? I'm interested in what you actually believe. Not how well you can sidestep any one particular question. Are your beliefs firm, or do they drift which ever way is more convenient?
You're asking the wrong guy. I'm not a religious scholar or a saint. I'd have to take it on a case by case situation to work through what the right way would be. So since you have many examples maybe you could share one of them and we'd both find out together the answer. How's that?

I'm not asking what any scholar might think. I'm asking what YOU believe. If you claim certain things are good of bad based on what your religious beliefs are, your beliefs are the only ones that matter.
You don't have any examples, do you? When you come up with an example of His teaching being in conflict with the rest of the Bible, let me know.

Sure I do. People claiming Christianity consistently quote the bible in an effort to advocate favoring tax breaks for the rich over the poor, forcing their religion on others, cutting funding for "the least of these", letting people go hungry, withholding healthcare, limiting rights to specific groups, turning away immigrants, devaluing education, and supporting capitol punishment. Actually following Jesus's teachings and examples would prevent from any of these dearly held beliefs, and many more. I ask again, does being a Christian require you to at least try to follow his teachings and example?

Sure I do. People claiming Christianity consistently quote the bible in an effort to advocate favoring tax breaks for the rich over the poor, forcing their religion on others, cutting funding for "the least of these", letting people go hungry, withholding healthcare, limiting rights to specific groups, turning away immigrants, devaluing education, and supporting capitol punishment. Actually following Jesus's teachings and examples would prevent from any of these dearly held beliefs, and many more. I ask again, does being a Christian require you to at least try to follow his teachings and example?
Who could use Scriptures to justify your examples.
And, show me where the death penalty conflicts with Scriptures

Lots of bible thumpers do that here every day. Just any scripture doesn't apply if you are obligated as a Christian to emulate Jesus and follow his teachings above the words of anyone else, even if those other people are in the bible. Jesus stopped a legal execution. Even though executions were extremely common, and he did discuss them, he never once said they were proper. More than once, when discussing legal punishment, he was quoted as saying "I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” Our tendency to occasionally execute an innocent person (yes it happens, and will happen again in the future) because of mistakes would certainly be opposed by him. With compassion and mercy as his main focus, he would have no part in the unnecessary execution of anyone, especially since there is a chance of killing the wrong person.

Lots of bible thumpers do that here every day. Just any scripture doesn't apply if you are obligated as a Christian to emulate Jesus and follow his teachings above the words of anyone else, even if those other people are in the bible. Jesus stopped a legal execution. Even though executions were extremely common, and he did discuss them, he never once said they were proper. More than once, when discussing legal punishment, he was quoted as saying "I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” Our tendency to occasionally execute an innocent person (yes it happens, and will happen again in the future) because of mistakes would certainly be opposed by him. With compassion and mercy as his main focus, he would have no part in the unnecessary execution of anyone, especially since there is a chance of killing the wrong person.
Where in Scripture did Jesus halt an execution?
I desire mercy, not sacrifice is referring to religious laws
Jesus stresses obedience and accountability
We are told to submit to government and the laws thereof.

Jesus would not oppose Himself.
If you are charged with murder and a jury convicts you
and you are sentenced to death, the sentence should be
carried out, and the victims family should extend
mercy and forgiveness...that is what God wants

If someone is innocent and wrongfully executed,
is God scratching His head? No, He is in control.

No one is obligated to glorify God by following
the example Christ...it is a choice.
That is what sets apart followers from believers.

Where in Scripture did Jesus halt an execution?
I desire mercy, not sacrifice is referring to religious laws
Jesus stresses obedience and accountability
We are told to submit to government and the laws thereof.

Jesus would not oppose Himself.
If you are charged with murder and a jury convicts you
and you are sentenced to death, the sentence should be
carried out, and the victims family should extend
mercy and forgiveness...that is what God wants

If someone is innocent and wrongfully executed,
is God scratching His head? No, He is in control.

No one is obligated to glorify God by following
the example Christ...it is a choice.
That is what sets apart followers from believers.

Let him without sin cast the first stone. That's one of the most known stories in the bible. You think the execution of an innocent person is acceptable, and that God thinks it's acceptable? If your god is no better than that, then he's a vile disgusting pig. Your distinction between followers and believers makes it clear that many just use the bible as an excuse for their behavior without knowing or caring what it actually teaches.

Let him without sin cast the first stone. That's one of the most known stories in the bible.
Again, this is in response to moral judgement from church elders
She was to be stoned, not stoned to death
You think the execution of an innocent person is acceptable, and that God thinks it's acceptable?
I do not nor never said I did.
Nor, did I say God thinks the execution
of an innocent person is acceptable.
If you are sentenced to death by a jury, under the law
because you were found guilty of a crime, punishable by death
then God expects the law to govern.

Now, if someone has been railroaded, that's a different matter

Death as a punishment, reasonably, for a crime
and legalizing killing babies, to avoid responsibility
are two different things altogether!
If your god is no better than that, then he's a vile disgusting pig.
If you knew God, you would know better than that
Your distinction between followers and believers makes it clear that many just use the bible as an excuse for their behavior without knowing or caring what it actually teaches
Many believe, believing is enough

Blackrot's fake story is better than all the other fake stories put together? Hmmm... If you say so. :lol:

That's not what you first asked. When you come up with an example of His teaching being in conflict with the rest of the Bible, let me know.

That's not what you first asked. When you come up with an example of His teaching being in conflict with the rest of the Bible, let me know.
jesus preached a non-violent philosophy. That contradicts all the violence in the bible as retribution, like an eye for an eye. or
  • Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

The fact is, all the most advanced nations are Christian, with only a handful of exceptions. That is because the early Church was influenced by the Greek culture, with its relatively enlightened views of philosophy, science, and the arts. During the Rennaisance, there was a revival of Greek knowledge, encouraged and funded by the Catholic Church.

The nations of Islam were once advanced, but they actually regressed and became backwards. The typical Muslim home has only one book, the Koran.

The non-Christian nations of Japan and China isolated themselves, and only joined the modern world after they realized they could no longer compete without adopting Western technology.

Atheists who claim that Christianity held back science are either ignorant, or lying though their teeth. The fact is, most universities, libraries, medical schools, law schools, and hospitals were founded by Christian organizations or Christian churches, until the modern age when governments begun to pick up this function.
Perhaps the smartest thing the western "Christian" world did was to separate religion and government.

There may have been times during which Christianity as a whole supported science - that isn't necessarily supported by having individual groups open hospitals, or whatever, but that's not really worth arguing.

Of more interest is what is happening today. And, today in the US we see little support for science - in what is taught in high schools, in opinion concerning colleges and universities, and in research support.

Plus, there is antagonism toward accepting science as a contributor to public policy decision making.

If you want to claim US Christianity as a whole supports science, come back when you have a case for that.

jesus preached a non-violent philosophy. That contradicts all the violence in the bible as retribution, like an eye for an eye. or
  • Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18
That't what I'm talking about! Mudda, you are full of surprises. Good job. Seriously.

Did Jesus teach non-violence or did Jesus teach to not rationalize one's sins?

That't what I'm talking about! Mudda, you are full of surprises. Good job. Seriously.

Probably both. But Jesus died for my sins, so that bill is already paid.

And if Jesus preached non-violence, then that must mean that there are no real Christians in the US army or the NRA.

And if Jesus preached non-violence, then that must mean that there are no real Christians in the US army or the NRA.
So what is your basis for believing Jesus taught non-violence?

So what is your basis for believing Jesus taught non-violence?
Well, this is all according to the bible, which you know I think is third hand hearsay. But his general schpeel was love everyone, even your enemies, and other stuff like that that nobody follows.

This logic is akin to we have laws against murder so why are there still murders. The answer is the same, we are rebels. We're broken and imperfect. Imperfect man, who is never free of pride, self-interest, envy, vanity, and dozens of other defects. But the one's who have accepted that there is a higher power and understand their purpose and accept that challenge, will improve along the way. It will not always be in a straight line, but the upward ascension will be noticeable. So your statement that, "if Jesus preached non-violence, then that must mean that there are no real Christians in the US army or the NRA," is incorrect.

As to your belief that killing is wrong, that is correct. That is the highest standard that exists. People do wrong things all of the time, but where they really get themselves into trouble is rationalizing that they didn't.

Forum List

Back