Christianity Bashing: Told Ya' So!

OMG, shows on Comedy Central disrespect Christianity!

And as we all know, no shows on Comedy Central would ever disrespect another religion!

Clear and irrefutable proof that they treat Christianity differently.

:lol:

Monty, you'd look more intelligent if you knew a bit more about the topic before you post...

"Comedy Central modified Parker and Stone's version of the episode, obscuring all images and bleeping all references to Muhammad—to the effect of disruptively obscuring the entire two-minute moral conclusion of the story. Nevertheless, both "200" and "201" were nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program in 2010.[1]
The censorship drew strong criticism against Comedy Central. Critics said the move was a significant public victory for Muslim extremists, and that the network's move would encourage further threats from radical groups."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/201_(South_Park)

Seems to indicate that " they treat Christianity differently."
No?

Actually, unless you have some evidence that their bashing of other religions (such as Judaism and Scientology) have received similar treatment, I'd say it indicates that they treat Islam differently. I disagree with that, I don't think they should treat Islam differently than any other religion, but since Islam and Christianity aren't the only two religions, or the only two religions that have been insulted on South Park and Comedy Central, your proposal that Christianity is treated differently and worse than any other religion is not borne out by this example.

I'm more than happy to admit that Christianity is made fun of much more often in South Park than other religions. However, considering the prevalence of Christianity in this country, that is not unexpected.

And I will reiterate that in a way, the apparent fear of repercussion from other religions is, in a way, a compliment to Christians. It says that those who follow Christianity are less likely to commit extreme acts in response to some foolishness on a tv show.

While the BBC director from your OP mentions other religions such as Judaism or Hinduism, I get the feeling this is really about Islam. I think that is more the issue than Christianity; network execs feeling the need to censor things that are possibly offensive to Muslims that they would not for other religions.

Whatever the case may be, I disagree with it. I don't want shows to be censored based on which religion is insulted. Bash Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, whatever. Bash atheists, too. I don't think there are any topics that should never be made fun of.

"I don't want shows to be censored..."

I certainly agree...
...I'm satisfied if the fact that the the secular media uses it's access to attack this particular religion becomes widely recognized.

When the topic was first spotlighted, many posted that is wasn't true.

You've probably seen the science-attacks-religion threads, which are related to this subject.

Oh boo-hoo-hoo! They're mocking my religion"

FEllow Christians?

Grow a set would yas?

You were warned that you were taking the harder path when you became believers, were you not?

Well we have chosen to take that path and we can expect that thosome non-Christians are going to hate us for believing in the theology we have chosen.

Christian-up, believers.

Stop whining.

Yes, Christians are told that they will be persecuted.

That doesn't mean we as Americans shouldn't say anything about it.

Forum List

Back