Christianity And The Founding Of Our Nation

Nuc said:
We may not be at war because of fundamentalist Christianity, but we are at war because of fundamentalist Christians. They make up most of the political class in this country.

My point is, even if people are using Christianity to justify this war, they should keep it to themselves because then we are no better than the people we are fighting.

Whereas if we frame it as a war of reason versus superstition we stand on solid ground.

pure garbage---no one is using Christianity to justify this war.

Nuc said:
Whatever.......then why does Bush feel the need to say he consulted with God about it?

A lot of Christians pray about things. He said it because it was true. Not wanting to lie about his faith. Proud of his belief.

Foreign thoughts to you?

GotZoom said:
A lot of Christians pray about things. He said it because it was true. Not wanting to lie about his faith. Proud of his belief.

Foreign thoughts to you?

Maybe he got some bad advice from God, because things are not working out like Bush said it would. One would think if God advised him, it would be to say, "You are getting yourself into a quagmire." Even some of us mortals could see that one coming.

Nuc said:
Maybe he got some bad advice from God, because things are not working out like Bush said it would. One would think if God advised him, it would be to say, "You are getting yourself into a quagmire." Even some of us mortals could see that one coming.

So of OBL and President Bush both sought advice from God, and things aren't working out for the President, the OBL's guidance from God was more accurate, correct, etc?

GotZoom said:
So of OBL and President Bush both sought advice from God, and things aren't working out for the President, the OBL's guidance from God was more accurate, correct, etc?

No, they are both wrong because God doesn't endorse the acts of either guy.

Still, rather go golfing with Bush than Bin Laden.

Nuc said:
No, they are both wrong because God doesn't endorse the acts of either guy.

Still, rather go golfing with Bush than Bin Laden.

I missed something.

God told you this?

What do you think God would have told President Bush when he asked Him about OBL and the Twin Towers? Or SH and the WMD?

GotZoom said:
I missed something.

God told you this?

What do you think God would have told President Bush when he asked Him about OBL and the Twin Towers? Or SH and the WMD?

If you want to think God told Bush what to do that's your business. But then why have all of Bush's predictions about the outcome been wrong? I have no hard evidence that God didn't tell him what to do, but if he did it must have been a practical joke on W because it's not working out very well for him.

Sorry, but in the modern world it is not necessary to disprove God's conversations with politicians. It is assumed. I'm saying God doesn't talk to Bush or Bin Laden. If you have proof to the contrary please share it. Otherwise the detent point is "reason". :scratch:

Nuc said:
If you want to think God told Bush what to do that's your business. But then why have all of Bush's predictions about the outcome been wrong? I have no hard evidence that God didn't tell him what to do, but if he did it must have been a practical joke on W because it's not working out very well for him.

Sorry, but in the modern world it is not necessary to disprove God's conversations with politicians. It is assumed. I'm saying God doesn't talk to Bush or Bin Laden. If you have proof to the contrary please share it. Otherwise the detent point is "reason". :scratch:

You keep pounding the point of "God telling Bush what to do." Do you not see a difference in a religious person asking for guidance as opposed to God directing someone to do something.

Stop spinning.

Geez..you sound like such a Democrat.

Pale Rider said:
The United States of America has a rich Christian heritage...

We hope that by browsing some of the websites below, you can begin to envision a greater understanding of the role of Christianity in the founding of our nation. Although we do not endorse any of the following websites, we believe that they can be a great resource for you in personal research and instilling confidence to say His name boldly in your sphere of influence. http://jesusuncensored.com/history.html

=================================================================================================================

George Washington

Benjamin Rush

Benjamin Franklin

Roger Sherman

Inaugural Prayer - Kirbyjon Caldwell (2005)

Our Founding Fathers - Quotes

History Forgotten

Examples of God/The Bible On Our Monuments

Finding God's Signature in Washington

Okay. Many of our “founding fathers” were supposedly Christian. Do you have a point besides this? If this is really all that you are saying with this thread, then you have no argument from me. It makes no difference to me if they are Christian or non-Christian. Many of our “founding fathers” did not care enough about slavery to outlaw it. They had no objection to keeping women from voting. Oh well --- and my point --- no one is perfect.

GotZoom said:
You keep pounding the point of "God telling Bush what to do." Do you not see a difference in a religious person asking for guidance as opposed to God directing someone to do something.

Stop spinning.

Geez..you sound like such a Democrat.

It's good for people to pray, or meditate, or whatever terminology you want to use. It's bad for them to confuse their own thoughts with the voice of God.

OK, I just asked God what I should have for dinner and He said, "Cashew curry, daal and fried anchovies with red rice". So I think I will take His advice. See you later!

Nuc said:
It's good for people to pray, or meditate, or whatever terminology you want to use. It's bad for them to confuse their own thoughts with the voice of God.

OK, I just asked God what I should have for dinner and He said, "Cashew curry, daal and fried anchovies with red rice". So I think I will take His advice. See you later!

He wasn't telling you what to have for dinner so you would know what to eat; he was telling you what to eat so you would leave and give us a break.

God does work in mysterious ways doesn't he?

Suck My Nuc said:
How can we stand against Islamic fundamentalism if we are pounding on the Bible ourselves. Let's defeat Islam in the name of reason and secularism rather than just saying two wrongs make a right.

Listen Suck, you're way off topic here. My post was about the founding fathers, HISTORY, not your stinking atheist opinons of how things are conducted today. Which by the way are out to fucking lunch.

Bareback Rider said:
Listen Suck, you're way off topic here. My post was about the founding fathers, HISTORY, not your stinking atheist opinons of how things are conducted today. Which by the way are out to fucking lunch.

I care about your opinion about as much as I care about what God says when he talks to Monica Lewinsky. No, less.

The only positive thing about you is your firm stand in favor of gay rights, which is unusual for a right winger.

Oh yeah, I thought you had me on "ignore". :asshole:

Nuc-kle Licker said:
I care about your opinion about as much as I care about what God says when he talks to Monica Lewinsky. No, less.

The only positive thing about you is your firm stand in favor of gay rights, which is unusual for a right winger.

Oh yeah, I thought you had me on "ignore".

You sssuuuuurre made a lot of friends today with your rabid, caustic posts didn't you?

Take some advice... lay off the crank before you come here douche bag.

Like you're BAD enough to warrant being on ignore. What a laugh... :finger3:

PaleRider said:
How many times does it take to convince you of the truth. If you saw someone murder your mother, would you need to watch an instant replay a dozen or so times before you could believe it?

I see no links from you to dispute, or otherwise, either. Just your pias, liberal, opinion.

More than once. I've seen quotes from comparatively unbiased sources that portray Benjamin Franklin in a less than Christian light.

All I'm asking for is something similar to my ethanol post (remember). If what you say is true, you should have no problem supporting your position. I'm just asking for more information. Not making any judgements.

Pale Rider said:
The United States of America has a rich Christian heritage...

We hope that by browsing some of the websites below, you can begin to envision a greater understanding of the role of Christianity in the founding of our nation. Although we do not endorse any of the following websites, we believe that they can be a great resource for you in personal research and instilling confidence to say His name boldly in your sphere of influence. http://jesusuncensored.com/history.html

=================================================================================================================

George Washington

Benjamin Rush

Benjamin Franklin

Roger Sherman

Inaugural Prayer - Kirbyjon Caldwell (2005)

Our Founding Fathers - Quotes

History Forgotten

Examples of God/The Bible On Our Monuments

Finding God's Signature in Washington

A quick google search of "benjamin franklin religion" revealed this:

"Some volumes against Deism fell into my hands. They were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's Lecture. It happened that they produced on me an effect precisely the reverse of what was intended by the writers; for the arguments of the Deists, which were cited in order to be refuted, appealed to me much more forcibly than the refutation itself. In a word, I soon became a thorough Deist"

source

The same website reveals that

"Washington was not a communicant. This fact can be easily demonstrated. A century ago it was the custom of all classes, irrespective of their religious beliefs, to attend church. Washington, adhering to the custom, attended. But when the administration of the sacrament took place, instead of remaining and partaking of the Lord's Supper as a communicant would have done, he invariably arose and retired from the church."

Source

Then you've got Jefferson.

And John Adams.

And the bit about finding God on the monuments of washington is interesting. Check out some of the fundamentalist christian websites that deal with the question of freemasonry, they seem to believe that the street grid of Washington was laid out according to masonic symbols by Pierre L'Enfant--the square, compass, pentagram, obelisk (washington monument) etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, proclaiming a belief in a vaguely defined God does not really make you a christian. You could be a christian; or a jew or a deist or a freemason.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc

Forum List

Back