Christianity and Race

Oct 12, 2004
Conneaut Lake
Christianity, when practiced properly, has no care for race. When I hear "Reverend" Jesse Jackson or "Reverend" Al Sharpton speak about anything, I cringe as a Christian. Are they really preaching the word of God with the purpose of saving souls? Or are they preaching equal rights? As a Christian, I have a serious problem with liberals that claim to be Christian if their views on issues are very immoral. Christianity is something that transcends all races. If a minority is a true Christian, they should care much more about their Christian values than their "race". I have no care for race in America. In fact, I believe all citizens of the United States are just American -- not African-American, Mexican-American, or European-American.

YoungChristian said:
Christianity, when practiced properly, has no care for race. When I hear "Reverend" Jesse Jackson or "Reverend" Al Sharpton speak about anything, I cringe as a Christian. Are they really preaching the word of God with the purpose of saving souls? Or are they preaching equal rights? As a Christian, I have a serious problem with liberals that claim to be Christian if their views on issues are very immoral. Christianity is something that transcends all races. If a minority is a true Christian, they should care much more about their Christian values than their "race". I have no care for race in America. In fact, I believe all citizens of the United States are just American -- not African-American, Mexican-American, or European-American.

It would be nice if those like Jackson or Sharpton actually listened to what Martin Luther King preached. But they have become lovers of their own power.

It bothers me when anyone professes a faith and does not follow it's teachings. When people talk one way and act another its pretty obvious. its one of the reasons i nearly choked when Kerry quoted the faith without works is dead scripture. Because action speak louder than words.

We will have a day when we arent judged by the color of our skin but rather by our character. weve made alot of progress already. It will be nice when we reach that point.

YoungChristian said:

I think you're lying. I don't think you know a damn thing about race. I bet you're white. If I plopped your white ass down in East New York, Jesus wouldn't save you. Even if you prayed real, real hard.

YoungChristian said:

I have no problem with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton preaching on the equality of man. Frankly, I wish Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would start preaching, period. But I digress.

YC, I agree that race is (or should be) a non-factor in Christianity. It is clear that God created all people equal in His eyes, regardless of skin color, and it is clear that we are to treat people without favoritism. But I don't really know anyone that refers to themselves as a White Christian or a African-Christian.

William Joyce said:
I think you're lying. I don't think you know a damn thing about race. I bet you're white. If I plopped your white ass down in East New York, Jesus wouldn't save you. Even if you prayed real, real hard.

Now I remember why I have you on ignore...

I have a feeling you have no idea what Christianity preaches about race.

William Joyce said:

I don't think there's anything at all you could tell this youngchristian that would change their mind about races. I think YOU don't know what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. You are obviously someone who knows no God, so how the fuck would you understand what the youngchristian believes, and why.

We know you hate races. We know there's a problem with races clashing in America. But don't spit your venom at someone that doesn't deserve it asswipe.

YoungChristian said:

When practiced properly??

Do you think Christianity is practiced today like it was 50 years ago, and do you think it was practiced 100 years ago like it was in 1950, and do you think it is practiced today like it was in medieval times?

Based on your standards everyone practicing Christianity differently than you at any time in history other than today are immoral.

That's quite a judging statement. Isn't there a reference to judgement in the Bible.

gop_jeff said:
Now I remember why I have you on ignore...

I have a feeling you have no idea what Christianity preaches about race.

You are a typical "good" Christian, ignore others' reality because it doesn't fit your Biblical "truth".

That's nice.

shadrack said:
You are a typical "good" Christian, ignore others' reality because it doesn't fit your Biblical "truth".

That's nice.

Where did you develop you anger at Chistianity?

shadrack said:

That's nice.

Have you studied Christianity? You say a few 'key words' which betray to me you have know/little understanding of the faith.

Here's your fault - You don't understand that Faith in Christ makes lives BETTER...if people have issues in their 'reality', they should consider inviting Christ to lend a hand.

shadrack said:

That's nice.

First, you have no idea what my faith consists of. Quite judgmental of you - and didn't you just bash someone else for supposedly being judgmental?

Second, if you had been around the board for more than a week, newbie, you'd know that William Joyce is the resident Klansman around here, and about 99% of his posts have something to do with how whites are superior and all other races should be destroyed. So I have him on ignore because all his posts say the same thing which I have no desire to keep reading.

Third, I have a good grasp of the ideology of hatred based on race. I call it wrong because God calls it wrong. Other people call it wrong for other reasons. Or do you think I should ignore the Bible and become a racist? Is that your hidden agenda?

Pale Rider said:
I don't think there's anything at all you could tell this youngchristian that would change their mind about races. I think YOU don't know what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. You are obviously someone who knows no God, so how the fuck would you understand what the youngchristian believes, and why.

We know you hate races. We know there's a problem with races clashing in America. But don't spit your venom at someone that doesn't deserve it asswipe.

This is a very aggressive statement. Cussing isn't a very good way to get your point across and it certainly won't further your argument.

MJDuncan1982 said:
This is a very aggressive statement. Cussing isn't a very good way to get your point across and it certainly won't further your argument.

I agree.

But there are some people who don't understand anything else.

Reading "Through The Valley of the Kwai" really helped me bridge the gap between epistemic and ontological cognition needed to understand "faith" as it is, and how it relates to God. Without both, you will clearly be missing something. It's a great book.

gop_jeff said:
First, you have no idea what my faith consists of. Quite judgmental of you - and didn't you just bash someone else for supposedly being judgmental?

Second, if you had been around the board for more than a week, newbie, you'd know that William Joyce is the resident Klansman around here, and about 99% of his posts have something to do with how whites are superior and all other races should be destroyed. So I have him on ignore because all his posts say the same thing which I have no desire to keep reading.

Third, I have a good grasp of the ideology of hatred based on race. I call it wrong because God calls it wrong. Other people call it wrong for other reasons. Or do you think I should ignore the Bible and become a racist? Is that your hidden agenda?

Using my best judgement, does not go against any of my morals. It does, however, go against Christian morals.

And for your second point, like I said, ignoring others because you have no desire to hear them is neither American or Christian.

Third, my hidden agenda? You and others use the label "liberal" or "libs" as an epithet openly and you are trying to say I am secretly trying to make you see others as worthless??

This whole country was founded on liberalism but when it's politically expedient GOP's use liberalism as an epithet.

dilloduck said:
Where did you develop you anger at Chistianity?

African Independent Churches, the Aglipayan Church, Amish, Anglicans, Armenian Apostolic, Assemblies of God, Baptists, Calvary Chapel, Catholics, Christadelphians, Christian Science, the Community of Christ, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Coptic Christians, Eastern Orthodox churches, Ethiopian Orthodox, Evangelicals, Iglesia ni Christo, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Local Church, Lutherans, Methodists, Nestorians, the New Apostolic Church, Pentecostals, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterians, the Salvation Army, Seventh-Day Adventists, Shakers, Stone-Campbell churches (Disciples of Christ, Churches of Christ, the Christian Church and Churches of Christ, the International Church of Christ), Uniate churches, United Church of Christ/Congregationalists, the Unity Church, Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, Vineyard churches

All similar but different. None consider the other to be equally valid. Neither do I. Especially the corrupted leadership in the politically powerful Evangelical church that is going to ruin this country.

shadrack said:
African Independent Churches, the Aglipayan Church, Amish, Anglicans, Armenian Apostolic, Assemblies of God, Baptists, Calvary Chapel, Catholics, Christadelphians, Christian Science, the Community of Christ, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Coptic Christians, Eastern Orthodox churches, Ethiopian Orthodox, Evangelicals, Iglesia ni Christo, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Local Church, Lutherans, Methodists, Nestorians, the New Apostolic Church, Pentecostals, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterians, the Salvation Army, Seventh-Day Adventists, Shakers, Stone-Campbell churches (Disciples of Christ, Churches of Christ, the Christian Church and Churches of Christ, the International Church of Christ), Uniate churches, United Church of Christ/Congregationalists, the Unity Church, Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, Vineyard churches

All similar but different. None consider the other to be equally valid. Neither do I. Especially the corrupted leadership in the politically powerful Evangelical church that is going to ruin this country.

On the areas of the Gospel that actually MATTER in terms of salvation, most of those 'agree' with eachother...

On areas which 'don't matter' towards the end of eternal salvation from hell, they differ.

shadrack said:
Using my best judgement, does not go against any of my morals. It does, however, go against Christian morals.

I'm assuming that you are referring to Jesus' words:
"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you."

Maybe you aren't familiar with these words of Christ: "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment." (John 7:24)

We are not to judge in the sense that we should never call people unfit to be Christians. But we are certainly supposed to judge what actions are godly, according to the standard God has given us (the Bible) and what actions are not.

And for your second point, like I said, ignoring others because you have no desire to hear them is neither American or Christian.

Really? Where in our Constitution am I mandated to listen to anyone? Freedom of speech does not mean a guaranteed audience. And I would really appreciate if you can fine the Scripture passage that states "Thou shall not ignore people." Thanks.

Third, my hidden agenda? You and others use the label "liberal" or "libs" as an epithet openly and you are trying to say I am secretly trying to make you see others as worthless??

This whole country was founded on liberalism but when it's politically expedient GOP's use liberalism as an epithet.

You can look at this post to see my typical usage (and explanation) of the word "liberal." 18th century liberalism and 20th century liberalism share little in common except a name.

shadrack said:

Do you have proof of the corruption of the "powerful Evangelical church?" Or is that just atheist rhetoric?

Forum List

Back