Christian Tenets/Principles this Country's founded on...

Give unto caesar = separation of church and state.

Are you saying that the concept of Separation of Church and State is a Christian concept?

It's a concept that was instituted by men of religious influence.

But was that religious influence positive or negative? People can be influence adversely too. (I'm thinking of the Church of England, the Catholic Church etc. in Europe and having religion involved in government had really mucked things up)

Got 'em?

Anyone?

The right to keep slaves?:eusa_shhh:

As well as the legal path to get out of that which brings us to today..............

But was it the secularization of religion that helped with the step...I'm thinking for example, the Quakers who certainly got their share of grief from the established religions of Europe because they were so very unconventional....humanists in a way.

Are you saying that the concept of Separation of Church and State is a Christian concept?

It's a concept that was instituted by men of religious influence.

But was that religious influence positive or negative? People can be influence adversely too. (I'm thinking of the Church of England, the Catholic Church etc. in Europe and having religion involved in government had really mucked things up)

I'd say it was a positive influence in this case.

The right to keep slaves?:eusa_shhh:

As well as the legal path to get out of that which brings us to today..............

But was it the secularization of religion that helped with the step...I'm thinking for example, the Quakers who certainly got their share of grief from the established religions of Europe because they were so very unconventional....humanists in a way.

The secularization of religion?
:lol::lol::lol:

Got 'em?

Anyone?

our constitution was based allot on the british magna carta . christians do hold claim to ancient civil laws

A few minor points...more on the English Bill of Rights (forced on William and Mary), and on the Enlightenment tracts of Locke and Montesquieu.

The secularization of religion?
:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, more like humanism....the very stuff fundamentalists fight against. Fundamentalists are not fond of Quakers.

Another link to nowhere, that proves nothing except that you're a...

mobile_troll.jpg

setting out 4 exact examples is superfluous to their intentions as an idea imho. Many of them are simply universal ala the code of Hammurabi or the ten commandants.

I would put it this way;

Judeo–Christian (sometimes written as Judaeo–Christian) refers to a set of beliefs and ethics held in common by Judaism and Christianity. It is a common term in American cultural and political rhetoric. One definition appeared in a Washington Post editorial in 1991:

"In our country, ‘Judeo-Christian values’ is shorthand for a complex idea: the common culture of the American majority. The values are called Judeo-Christian because they derive from the complementary ideas of free will, the moral accountability of the individual rather than the group, the spiritual imperative of imperfect man’s struggle to do what is right and the existence of true moral law in the teachings of Christ and the Jewish prophets. Along with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, they are the political and cultural heritage of the Founding Fathers. The declaration and the Constitution define the source and the limits of state power. But they do not tell us how a moral life within this society should be led. While they have provided a durable structure for America’s success, only Judeo-Christian values, freely held by the majority, explain its continuing realization.

These values are not identical with the Christian religion, although they manifest its universal insights. Americans, as the Founding Fathers hoped, uphold the Constitution, but live according to “Judeo-Christian values."[1]

more here-

Judeo-Christian

setting out 4 exact examples is superfluous to their intentions as an idea imho. Many of them are simply universal ala the code of Hammurabi or the ten commandants.

I would put it this way;

Judeo–Christian (sometimes written as Judaeo–Christian) refers to a set of beliefs and ethics held in common by Judaism and Christianity. It is a common term in American cultural and political rhetoric. One definition appeared in a Washington Post editorial in 1991:

"In our country, ‘Judeo-Christian values’ is shorthand for a complex idea: the common culture of the American majority. The values are called Judeo-Christian because they derive from the complementary ideas of free will, the moral accountability of the individual rather than the group, the spiritual imperative of imperfect man’s struggle to do what is right and the existence of true moral law in the teachings of Christ and the Jewish prophets. Along with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, they are the political and cultural heritage of the Founding Fathers. The declaration and the Constitution define the source and the limits of state power. But they do not tell us how a moral life within this society should be led. While they have provided a durable structure for America’s success, only Judeo-Christian values, freely held by the majority, explain its continuing realization.

These values are not identical with the Christian religion, although they manifest its universal insights. Americans, as the Founding Fathers hoped, uphold the Constitution, but live according to “Judeo-Christian values."[1]

more here-

Judeo-Christian

However, I do not see those as limited to the Judeo and Christian experience...they are found in one form or another in pretty much all the major and minor religions.

It doesn't matter what you see them as. Truth is not subject to your distorted filter. The truth is, they were experienced by the founding fathers as CHRISTIAN tenets...

As your messiah stated himself.

"And the ideals on which they framed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution — that man is subject to the laws of nature and of nature’s God, that God created man equal and endowed him with basic unalienable rights, that human nature is sinful and therefore government power must be carefully restrained by the Constitution — are ideals that they derived, directly or indirectly, from the Bible. Some of these ideals may be shared by those of other religious traditions. But the Founding Fathers, with few exceptions, did not read the Koran, or the Upanishads, or the Bagavigita. They read the Bible, and they heard the Bible preached on Sunday mornings."

Obama: America Not a Christian Nation

Last edited:

I would put it this way;

more here-

Judeo-Christian

However, I do not see those as limited to the Judeo and Christian experience...they are found in one form or another in pretty much all the major and minor religions.

sure thats why they are universal, but not in governing foundation, and of course you are aware of whom they read and influenced them and, they were Christians, so their thoughts ran in that direction so to speak.

Locke Rousseau Hume et al all were European, and, they thought there was another dimension unexplored ( as bolded by you in my excerpt) along those universal lines to be made [in] practical governing principals and concept(s).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back