Christian parents - what would you do if your son or daughter came out?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
Read some really crazy article this week, where christian parents basically made their high school aged kid homeless and abandoned when he came out to them... I know christians have some fucked up views on homosexuality, but it is really that extreme?

Disowned. Don't need no serial killers, Communists, or faggots in my house.

I'm not exactly sure. No, I do not approve of that lifestyle, and as long as they live in my house they will not be practicing that lifestyle, just like they will not be practicing any other lifestyle that goes against my values as their parent. Outside of my home, what they do is their business. I think any real concerned and loving parent would have a desire to be in their child's life no matter what lifestyle they were living or whether or not they approved. No I do not approve of homosexuality, but all have fallen short and forgiveness and long-suffering are foundations of my faith. If God had abandoned me when I was living in sin.

Either kill them or throw them out of the house. Right wingers only have two choices. Everyone knows that.

Read some really crazy article this week, where christian parents basically made their high school aged kid homeless and abandoned when he came out to them... I know christians have some fucked up views on homosexuality, but it is really that extreme?
This likely has less to do with faith and more to do with fear and ignorance.

A parent who has taken the time to know his/her offspring is often aware of a child's preference long, long before the child itself. The trick is to let it play out and be supportive and loving whichever way the chips fall.

And I DO consider myself a Christian.

Of sorts.

A parent who has taken the time to know his/her offspring is often aware of a child's preference long, long before the child itself. The trick is to let it play out and be supportive and loving whichever way the chips fall.

I accept that any parent can have any kind of kid, especially given how much influence there is on children outside of the parents'. But, if you raise a homosexual, it's an epic failure as a parent. Maybe there was a neighbor buggering your young son, that you didn't know about. But, it's the parents job to protect their children.

What's funny is I have a step-aunt who lives in Cali. She kind of fits the Cali girl stereotype, cares too much about looks, has lots of money, thinks her shit doesn't stink, that stereotype. The odd thing about her though is she's also a christian fundie, always going around prostelyzing the family despite all of them nicely asking her not to (and the family is christian for the most part).

She has 2 twin boys, great nice kids. Spoiled, but that's not their fault and they're still good kids. However they are EXTREMELY feminine young teenages and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one or both end up being gay, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she disowned both of them for being gay.

Luckily though, homophobia is dying in America, despite the desperate attempts of fundies to keep it alive. Loving, moderate christians are helping lead the way in defeating homophobia imo.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
My experiences both having friends that are homosexual as well as friends who's children are, if you have not recognized there is/was something "different" about your child, I am not sure what kind of parent you were.
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

No one in my family has ever been treated differently because they happen to be gay. Nor has anyone been treated differently because their skin is a different color.... or because they follow a different faith.

I'm not exactly sure. No, I do not approve of that lifestyle, and as long as they live in my house they will not be practicing that lifestyle, just like they will not be practicing any other lifestyle that goes against my values as their parent. Outside of my home, what they do is their business. I think any real concerned and loving parent would have a desire to be in their child's life no matter what lifestyle they were living or whether or not they approved. No I do not approve of homosexuality, but all have fallen short and forgiveness and long-suffering are foundations of my faith. If God had abandoned me when I was living in sin.

So you would do what the parents talked about in the OP did?

Forum List

Back