Christian License Plate

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Does this mean they'll also have to offer Jewish, Muslim, and any other religion plates to make it constitutional?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080424/ap_on_re_us/religious_license_plate
MIAMI - Florida drivers can order more than 100 specialty license plates celebrating everything from manatees to the Miami Heat, but one now under consideration would be the first in the nation to explicitly promote a specific religion.

I don't have a problem with a program that allows people to have their own vanity plates, of their own design, sanctioned by the state, and so long as the plate is clearly identifiable with the state, why not? This would allow Christians or anybody else to design a plate of their choice and at their own expense that could then be submitted to the state for approval. (I would think the State would not allow names (other than the plate owner) to appear on the plates and would nix clearly offensive material).

A whole cottage industry could spring up to offer such designer plates.

I am uncomfortable with the State issuing a plate designed to recognize a particular religion unless some provision was made to also recognize other religions should the people want them.

besides.. lots of state plates are lame as fuck.

and, i like the purple heart plates.

I don't have a problem with a program that allows people to have their own vanity plates, of their own design, sanctioned by the state, and so long as the plate is clearly identifiable with the state, why not? This would allow Christians or anybody else to design a plate of their choice and at their own expense that could then be submitted to the state for approval. (I would think the State would not allow names (other than the plate owner) to appear on the plates and would nix clearly offensive material).

I am uncomfortable with the State issuing a plate designed to recognize a particular religion unless some provision was made to also recognize other religions should the people want them.

I agree totally.

Then you'd be okay with a muslim plate with the money raised going to fund faith based muslim school activities?

The group asking for the "I Believe" plate, the Orlando-based nonprofit Faith in Teaching Inc., supports faith-based schools activities. The plate would cost drivers an extra $25 annual fee.

Of course, maybe they are supporting muslim groups. :eusa_whistle:

Bullard, the plate's sponsor, isn't sure all groups should be able to express their preference. If atheists came up with an "I Don't Believe" plate, for example, he would probably oppose it.

He makes it hard for supporters to argue that the plate program serves a secular purpose.

Then you'd be okay with a muslim plate with the money raised going to fund faith based muslim school activities?

Sure, if a Muslim organization wanted to offer Muslim designer plates to those who would like to have them, why not? Private enterprise is private enterprise no matter who is running the industry.

All the state would need to do is specify certain requirements for a privately produced vanity plate (size, type metal, what uniform lettering would have to appear, etc. and have the right to refuse the design if offensive or illegal or otherwise inappropriate.) Or if the state wanted the business AND offer a "Christian" plate, I would think they would also have to accommodate the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. who might also want to display their own religious faith or they could be in First Amendment violation. Far better to turn it all over to private enterprise.

Forum List

Back