Christian friends of gays and lesbians

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
"I became a Christian very suddenly (and out of freakin' nowhere) when I was 38 years old.

At that time, I was working in the "Office Services" department of a large law firm. My sole co-worker in that department was a lesbian named Joan Finch.

To a lot of Christians, of course -- just as with a lot of people generally -- someone's being gay or lesbian can register as a Fairly Large Deal. But I had been around gays and lesbians all my life, and had no schema for understanding a person's sexual orientation as having anything whatsoever to do with their moral character, or their status relative to God, or anything like that. Any such concept was foreign to me. All I knew was that some gays and lesbians were awful people, and some were noble, wise, kind people whom it was impossible not to love. Same as anyone else. People are people

."I'd had gay friends all of my life. Real friends. Best friends. As obnoxious as it is to stereotype, I think it's safe to say that generally, gays and lesbians have suffered for being gay and lesbian: just about all my gay friends, for instance, have countless stories about getting regularly beaten-up as kids by ... well, by just about everyone around them. Schoolmates. Siblings. Dads. Crosswalk guards. Dog-walkers. Whomever.

Growing up gay or lesbian in America is just a tough row to hoe, period. If you think it's not, then ... then you're just not paying attention to life.

And that gays and lesbians have generally suffered in their lives means that they are generally sensitive to the suffering of others. And generally that makes them kind, compassionate, and emotionally insightful. It makes them empathic. Which is why I have generally found gays and lesbians rewarding to hang out with.

I had my big fat conversion experience at work with Joan Finch.

A look of genuine concern came across her face.

"Oh, no," she said.

"What is it?" I said. "What's wrong?"

"Now you're going to hate me."

"What? What are you -- why in the world would I hate you?"

"Because Christians hate gays and lesbians," said Joan. She looked heartbroken. "Don't you know that?"

"They do? We do? Why?"

"Because it's in the Bible," she said. "I grew up in the church. I know. Part of the whole Christian deal is to hate gays and lesbians."

And then she turned away from me, so that I wouldn't see her fighting back her tears.

"You must be wrong about that," I implored. I put my hand on her back. "You must be."

"I'm not," she said, stepping away from me. "You wait. You'll see."
John Shore: How My Lesbian Friend Reacted to My Christian Conversion

Do Christians have gay friends?

Last edited:
Yes, I have many men and women who are gay as friends.

I'm sure most Christians do, why wouldn't they?

• Banned
Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

Last edited:
Thinking something is wrong doesn't translate to hatred. I grew up in a Christian home, and was never taught to hate anyone, period. I also never heard anyone in the church discussing hatred of gays, and I never once heard anyone say or imply that they hated gays. Is it not apparent that hatred and disapproval are two separate things?

Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

Sky, assuming all Christians think this is a bit close minded and judgemental, wouldn't you say?

Some of the nasty so called "Christians" that call gays names like Devients and such don't speak for many of us. And I'm betting a lot of them have skeletons in their closets that would shock a nun!

Sky, assuming all Christians think this is a bit close minded and judgemental, wouldn't you say?

Some of the nasty so called "Christians" that call gays names like Devients and such don't speak for many of us. And I'm betting a lot of them have skeletons in their closets that would shock a nun!

Did I say all Christians? I didn't mean to. If you don't think that homosexuality is immoral, wrong and sinful then how do you reconcile that with your Christianity?

Last edited:
i have this going in another post, but am still waiting on an answer.

christians (or at least catholics) oppose the act of homosexual sex, which is basically calling for someone to not act on their sexual urges

if not acting on sexual urges is such an awful thing to ask of someone, why do they ask that their priests do the exact same thing?

i have this going in another post, but am still waiting on an answer.

christians (or at least catholics) oppose the act of homosexual sex, which is basically calling for someone to not act on their sexual urges

if not acting on sexual urges is such an awful thing to ask of someone, why do they ask that their priests do the exact same thing?

That is a good question!
I'm not Catholic, so I can't answer, but would love for someone of that faith to answer!

Did I say all Christians? I didn't mean to. If you don't think that homosexuality is immoral, wrong and sinful then how do you reconcile that with your Christianity?

That's not my place to judge. Many of my gay friends are Christians too. A Christian is someone that has accepted Jesus as their saviour. We all sin, every day. Love is love, wouldn't you rather have a world full of loving hetros and gays living in peace, than a world of judgemental, hate filled people?

I know many christians who have gays friends, and I know many christians who are gay.

That's not my place to judge. Many of my gay friends are Christians too. A Christian is someone that has accepted Jesus as their saviour. We all sin, every day. Love is love, wouldn't you rather have a world full of loving hetros and gays living in peace, than a world of judgemental, hate filled people?
i dont recall Jesus only being with the sin free

;)

I don't consider homosexuality a sin, do you?

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I vow to cultivate my responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to protect families from being broken by sexual misconduct."
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/The_Five_Wonderful_Precepts_by_Thich_Nhat_Hanh

Last edited:

;)

Exactly! So Christians have no right to judge gays for their lifestyles choices.
That's what this thread is about, some of us are trying to show Sky Dancer not all Christians are judgemental towards gays.

;)

Exactly! So Christians have no right to judge gays for their lifestyles choices.
That's what this thread is about, some of us are trying to show Sky Dancer not all Christians are judgemental towards gays.
but she seems to have taken offense to what i said

oh well, glad you understood what i intended

Forum List

Back