Christian conservatives target seated judges

These are very likely the same people who complain bitterly and loudly about judicial activism everytime they make a ruling they don't like.

Now they want to use the judiciary to force people to subscribe to Christian values.

These people are scum as far as I'm concerned.

Except for that simple concept of Ethics and review borders. These guys will not be IMPOSING any new values on anyone from the Bench. UNLESS you ADMIT that a Judge can do so and ADMIT all the LIBERAL judges have done so in the past, you have nothing but your hatred of Christians and a desire to denigrate 4 people running for Judge cause you disagree with their personal beliefs.

Not at all. I don't really understand how I can hate myself then. I disagree that people should be trying to enforce their religion into laws.

I have a slight feeling that if I changed the word Christian to Muslim and Conservative to Liberal, you'd be flipping a shit. :eusa_think:

I wasn't laughing at the word, I was laughing at you thinking that this sets a precedent. This is something that has gone on for decades.... the only difference being that at least this group is announcing what it is doing. Perhaps it's just because it's Christians - or Conservatives - that bothers you... Unless you have always objected to it.

Interestingly, when I read your post, the word that sprang to my mind was 'hypocrite'.

Maybe in my old age of nineteen I have forgotten some things, but I don't recall ever saying "Oh hey, a Atheist judge! Hooray!" :lol:

The same people who do not want Sharia law in this country should be equally as worried when other religions try to impart their laws upon society. It has nothing to do with a specific religion, especially since I myself am a Christian Libertarian. I just don't want judges in general to be judging this way. I have no doubt in my mind that this has happened plenty of times in the past. However, I figured it'd be good to start a discussion on it either way.

Except for that simple concept of Ethics and review borders. These guys will not be IMPOSING any new values on anyone from the Bench. UNLESS you ADMIT that a Judge can do so and ADMIT all the LIBERAL judges have done so in the past, you have nothing but your hatred of Christians and a desire to denigrate 4 people running for Judge cause you disagree with their personal beliefs.

""We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary.""

So basically he says God wants them to use the judiciary to give the country 'Christian Values'

That fits the definition of trying to impose values.

These are very likely the same people who complain bitterly and loudly about judicial activism everytime they make a ruling they don't like.

Now they want to use the judiciary to force people to subscribe to Christian values.

Bring up Sharia law to the same folks and see what happens. :eusa_whistle:

Maybe in my old age of nineteen I have forgotten some things, but I don't recall ever saying "Oh hey, a Atheist judge! Hooray!" :lol:

The same people who do not want Sharia law in this country should be equally as worried when other religions try to impart their laws upon society. It has nothing to do with a specific religion, especially since I myself am a Christian Libertarian. I just don't want judges in general to be judging this way. I have no doubt in my mind that this has happened plenty of times in the past. However, I figured it'd be good to start a discussion on it either way.

""We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary.""

So basically he says God wants them to use the judiciary to give the country 'Christian Values'

Wrong as usual. Judges have little leeway in rulings. These Judges will be following the same guidelines as every other Judge, or are you admitting that Judicial Legislation already occurs?

Bring up Sharia law to the same folks and see what happens. :eusa_whistle:

Sharia law is not legal in this Country, quite a different matter entirely. But then leave it to you to make shit up. If these 4 people get elected it will because the people agree with them on their stated positions. JUST like all Judges that get elected.

Wrong as usual. Judges have little leeway in rulings. These Judges will be following the same guidelines as every other Judge, or are you admitting that Judicial Legislation already occurs?
Yes it occurs, no it is not as rampant as conservatives would have us believe. Using the courts to prescribe Christian values definitely qualifies.

The Associated Press: Christian conservatives target seated judges

SAN DIEGO — A group of conservative attorneys say they are on a mission from God to unseat four California judges in a rare challenge that is turning a traditionally snooze-button election into what both sides call a battle for the integrity of U.S. courts.

Vowing to be God's ambassadors on the bench, the four San Diego Superior Court candidates are backed by pastors, gun enthusiasts, and opponents of abortion and same-sex marriages.

"We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary."

The challenge is unheard of in California, one of 33 states to directly elect judges. Critics say the campaign is aimed at packing the courts with judges who adhere to the religious right's moral agenda and threatens both the impartiality of the court system and the separation of church and state.
Opponents fear the June 8 race is a strategy that could transform courtroom benches just like some school boards, which have seen an increasing number of Christian conservatives win seats in cities across the country and push for such issues as prayer in classrooms.

I agree with this comment:

"Any organization that wants judges to subscribe to a certain political party or certain value system or certain way of ruling to me threatens the independence of the judiciary," San Diego County's District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said.

Thoughts USMB?

Google dominionism and Christian reconstruction.

Here is one link:
http://www.theocracywatch.org/biblical_law2.htm

Last edited:
Wouldn't any judge subscribe to some sort of value system? And don't they already run as members of whichever political party is in favor at the moment?

Most states judicial races are always non partisan. Federal judges are always appointed, thank God.

In addition, I think it sets a bad precedence to basically have our judges basically be similar to politicians in the aspect of pandering to specific organizations, etc. Nothing good can come up of it.

if they're running for election, they ARE politicians.

this is a dog bites man story.

Wouldn't any judge subscribe to some sort of value system? And don't they already run as members of whichever political party is in favor at the moment?

yes... which is why the supreme court is populated by corporatists who think corporations are people for purposes of the first amendment.

however, it is illegal and unconstitutional for there to be a religioius test for a judge. and it is highly likely that any judge who would think he is 'g-d's emmisary to the court' shouldn't be allowed to be a judge since it violates the separation of church and state.

i think such people should be free to move to the theocracy of their choice.

Last edited:

yes... which is why the supreme court is populated by corporatists who think corporations are people for purposes of the first amendment.

however, it is illegal and unconstitutional for there to be a religioius test for a judge. and it is highly likely that any judge who would think he is 'g-d's emmisary to the court' shouldn't be allowed to be a judge since it violates the separation of church and state.

i think such people should be free to move to the theocracy of their choice.

Supreme Court Judges are NOT elected. They are selected by the President and vetted by the Senate.

This is just their shtick to get elected. Works well in many parts of the country.

Every judge brings their whole life's experience to the bench with them. It's unavoidable and not a bad thing.

Forum List

Back