Christian conservatives target seated judges

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
The Associated Press: Christian conservatives target seated judges

SAN DIEGO — A group of conservative attorneys say they are on a mission from God to unseat four California judges in a rare challenge that is turning a traditionally snooze-button election into what both sides call a battle for the integrity of U.S. courts.

Vowing to be God's ambassadors on the bench, the four San Diego Superior Court candidates are backed by pastors, gun enthusiasts, and opponents of abortion and same-sex marriages.

"We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary."

The challenge is unheard of in California, one of 33 states to directly elect judges. Critics say the campaign is aimed at packing the courts with judges who adhere to the religious right's moral agenda and threatens both the impartiality of the court system and the separation of church and state.
Opponents fear the June 8 race is a strategy that could transform courtroom benches just like some school boards, which have seen an increasing number of Christian conservatives win seats in cities across the country and push for such issues as prayer in classrooms.

I agree with this comment:

"Any organization that wants judges to subscribe to a certain political party or certain value system or certain way of ruling to me threatens the independence of the judiciary," San Diego County's District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said.

Thoughts USMB?

I agree:

""Any organization that wants judges to subscribe to a certain political party or certain value system or certain way of ruling to me threatens the independence of the judiciary," San Diego County's District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said."

The problem is, that very many liberal judges tend to make decisions based on their ideology. They'll say they dont, but lots of them do.

I think they should ALL judge according to the law, and not legislate from the bench. That goes for conservatives as well.

In addition, I think it sets a bad precedence to basically have our judges basically be similar to politicians in the aspect of pandering to specific organizations, etc. Nothing good can come up of it.

SAN DIEGO — A group of conservative attorneys say they are on a mission from God to unseat four California judges in a rare challenge that is turning a traditionally snooze-button election into what both sides call a battle for the integrity of U.S. courts.

Vowing to be God's ambassadors on the bench, the four San Diego Superior Court candidates are backed by pastors, gun enthusiasts, and opponents of abortion and same-sex marriages.

"We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary."

The challenge is unheard of in California, one of 33 states to directly elect judges. Critics say the campaign is aimed at packing the courts with judges who adhere to the religious right's moral agenda and threatens both the impartiality of the court system and the separation of church and state.
Opponents fear the June 8 race is a strategy that could transform courtroom benches just like some school boards, which have seen an increasing number of Christian conservatives win seats in cities across the country and push for such issues as prayer in classrooms.

"Any organization that wants judges to subscribe to a certain political party or certain value system or certain way of ruling to me threatens the independence of the judiciary," San Diego County's District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said.

Thoughts USMB?

Ohh look the left whining about free elections and claiming if they lose it violates the law somehow.

In addition, I think it sets a bad precedence to basically have our judges basically be similar to politicians in the aspect of pandering to specific organizations, etc. Nothing good can come up of it.

Then get the State to change the law allowing Judges to be elected. Or shut the hell up. If these guys win that means the PEOPLE freely elected them as required by that States LAW. You don't like it? Change the law. I am past tired of listening to you leftoids trying to pervert the system when you lose or might lose.

Ohh look the left whining about free elections and claiming if they lose it violates the law somehow.

Nobody here claimed that. However, I think when someone considers themselves something first and a Judge second, it can never end well.

Then get the State to change the law allowing Judges to be elected. Or shut the hell up. If these guys win that means the PEOPLE freely elected them as required by that States LAW. You don't like it? Change the law. I am past tired of listening to you leftoids trying to pervert the system when you lose or might lose.

:cuckoo: Nobody said otherwise and nobody is trying to pervert the system. Talk about paranoid on your part.

Precedent? Really? Damn. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:cuckoo: Nobody said otherwise and nobody is trying to pervert the system. Talk about paranoid on your part.

Sure thing Liebert.

Sure thing Liebert.

I think you are getting a wee bit paranoid there RGS. I never said they don't have a right to run or that if they run they won illegally or whatever. I'm simply saying that if someone consider themselves a Liberal or Conservative first, and a judge second then it's not a good thing. This doesn't just apply to one side of the political spectrum.

Carry on though. :thup:

So this does not mean you oppose voting for Judges, just that you oppose voting for Judges you disagree with?

In other words I am right, you oppose and bring into question the legitimacy of anyone that runs for Judge you disagree with, thanks for admitting it.

:cuckoo:

It has nothing to do with legitimacy, and I said both sides of the political spectrum. Which means it includes judges I may agree with as well. Might want to pick up a new pair of reading glasses sometime soon. :thup:

Thoughts USMB?

Remember folks activist judges are OK if they piss off the left.

Precedent? Really? Damn. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Either or, don't really care what similar word you want to use for it.

I wasn't laughing at the word, I was laughing at you thinking that this sets a precedent. This is something that has gone on for decades.... the only difference being that at least this group is announcing what it is doing. Perhaps it's just because it's Christians - or Conservatives - that bothers you... Unless you have always objected to it.

Interestingly, when I read your post, the word that sprang to my mind was 'hypocrite'.

I wasn't laughing at the word, I was laughing at you thinking that this sets a precedent. This is something that has gone on for decades.... the only difference being that at least this group is announcing what it is doing. Perhaps it's just because it's Christians - or Conservatives - that bothers you... Unless you have always objected to it.

Interestingly, when I read your post, the word that sprang to my mind was 'hypocrite'.

Maybe in my old age of nineteen I have forgotten some things, but I don't recall ever saying "Oh hey, a Atheist judge! Hooray!" :lol:

The same people who do not want Sharia law in this country should be equally as worried when other religions try to impart their laws upon society. It has nothing to do with a specific religion, especially since I myself am a Christian Libertarian. I just don't want judges in general to be judging this way. I have no doubt in my mind that this has happened plenty of times in the past. However, I figured it'd be good to start a discussion on it either way.

Maybe in my old age of nineteen I have forgotten some things, but I don't recall ever saying "Oh hey, a Atheist judge! Hooray!" :lol:

The same people who do not want Sharia law in this country should be equally as worried when other religions try to impart their laws upon society. It has nothing to do with a specific religion, especially since I myself am a Christian Libertarian. I just don't want judges in general to be judging this way. I have no doubt in my mind that this has happened plenty of times in the past. However, I figured it'd be good to start a discussion on it either way.

Except for that simple concept of Ethics and review borders. These guys will not be IMPOSING any new values on anyone from the Bench. UNLESS you ADMIT that a Judge can do so and ADMIT all the LIBERAL judges have done so in the past, you have nothing but your hatred of Christians and a desire to denigrate 4 people running for Judge cause you disagree with their personal beliefs.

Forum List

Back