Christian Children's Fund protects starving kids from $17,000 in Satanic Donations

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
10/31/2008

As has been reported by a few other gaming blogs and news sites, the Charity Auction at this year's GenCon Indianapolis was held to benefit Gary Gygax's favorite charity, which I will not name here for reasons that will soon become obvious. The fine folks at GenCon raised over $17,000 for this charity, which helps starving children in impovershed areas of the world--only to have that money actually turned down by the charity. The charity refused due to the fact that the money was raised partly by the sales of Dungeons and Dragons materials, which as we all know, puts an irrevocable taint of evil on the filthy lucre that us demon-worshipping gamers might want to use to, say, donate to starving children. Not only is this a slap in the face to every gamer, but it is especially insulting to Mr. Gygax himself, who I understand donated to their cause many times over the years. Plus, I'm sure the children who would have gotten food or clean drinking water with that money would be sort of upset, too.

I bring this story to your attention not simply so that you might let the people at this charity know how you feel (especially if you have donated to it before, as many did in the wake of Mr. Gygax's passing), but so that you would be aware that there is an alternative charity that I would personally recommend (based on our own charitable giving) if you have a desire to donate money to help starving children. Plan USA is a worldwide charity aimed at helping those who live in poverty and/or have suffered from a natural disaster, particularly with monthly sponsorships of individual children. Since the money of D&D players is clearly not welcome at this other charity, I can't recommend Plan USA highly enough to those interested in giving anyway. At least if you choose to donate through them, there's no chance your generous gifts to the starving children of the world will be rejected due to your weekend hobby.

(Incidentally, GenCon was also able to find another worthy charity with an entirely different focus, the Fisher House Foundation, that was willing to accept the money given in good faith by GenCon attendees.)
Giant In the Playground Games

GenCon 2008 Charity Event:

On Saturday, August 15th, 2008 at 6:00 PM, the Gen Con Live Game Auction hosted their traditional charity auction. This year, the event was in honor of Gary Gygax. Originally the charity chosen for GenCon was Gary's favorite charity, the Christian Children's Fund. Unfortunately, when they found out that the money they would get came partially from sales of Dungeons and Dragons they decided not to be the sponsored charity. Instead Fisher House Foundation became the official charity of GenCon this year!! The Fisher House Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury. The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facility or have transportation available.

One of the items that was auctioned off was a HUGE 20-sided die that was left out in the corridor during the convention. A hole in the "8" on the die allowed conventioneers to drop dice into the large die in honor of Gary Gygax. The auctioning of this monstrous die was a very emotional event, it sold for $1500.

Here's a video an attendee captured showing the auctioning of the die: YouTube video
Live Game Auctions -Charity

10/31/2008

As has been reported by a few other gaming blogs and news sites, the Charity Auction at this year's GenCon Indianapolis was held to benefit Gary Gygax's favorite charity, which I will not name here for reasons that will soon become obvious. The fine folks at GenCon raised over $17,000 for this charity, which helps starving children in impovershed areas of the world--only to have that money actually turned down by the charity. The charity refused due to the fact that the money was raised partly by the sales of Dungeons and Dragons materials, which as we all know, puts an irrevocable taint of evil on the filthy lucre that us demon-worshipping gamers might want to use to, say, donate to starving children. Not only is this a slap in the face to every gamer, but it is especially insulting to Mr. Gygax himself, who I understand donated to their cause many times over the years. Plus, I'm sure the children who would have gotten food or clean drinking water with that money would be sort of upset, too.

I bring this story to your attention not simply so that you might let the people at this charity know how you feel (especially if you have donated to it before, as many did in the wake of Mr. Gygax's passing), but so that you would be aware that there is an alternative charity that I would personally recommend (based on our own charitable giving) if you have a desire to donate money to help starving children. Plan USA is a worldwide charity aimed at helping those who live in poverty and/or have suffered from a natural disaster, particularly with monthly sponsorships of individual children. Since the money of D&D players is clearly not welcome at this other charity, I can't recommend Plan USA highly enough to those interested in giving anyway. At least if you choose to donate through them, there's no chance your generous gifts to the starving children of the world will be rejected due to your weekend hobby.

(Incidentally, GenCon was also able to find another worthy charity with an entirely different focus, the Fisher House Foundation, that was willing to accept the money given in good faith by GenCon attendees.)
Giant In the Playground Games

GenCon 2008 Charity Event:

On Saturday, August 15th, 2008 at 6:00 PM, the Gen Con Live Game Auction hosted their traditional charity auction. This year, the event was in honor of Gary Gygax. Originally the charity chosen for GenCon was Gary's favorite charity, the Christian Children's Fund. Unfortunately, when they found out that the money they would get came partially from sales of Dungeons and Dragons they decided not to be the sponsored charity. Instead Fisher House Foundation became the official charity of GenCon this year!! The Fisher House Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury. The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facility or have transportation available.

One of the items that was auctioned off was a HUGE 20-sided die that was left out in the corridor during the convention. A hole in the "8" on the die allowed conventioneers to drop dice into the large die in honor of Gary Gygax. The auctioning of this monstrous die was a very emotional event, it sold for $1500.

Here's a video an attendee captured showing the auctioning of the die: YouTube video
Live Game Auctions -Charity

Please give me a link to this story. I hope Christian Children's Fund does not receive funds as a faith-based initiative. If so, it should not receive another tax dollar. Sometimes, stupid just depresses me.

You know, it's even been said by many holy men over the ages that everyone who is evil contains some good, and everyone who is good has the potential for evil.

Now.....if D and D is such an "evil" thing, what about the whole redemption angle that the church is always shoving down our throats? What if God told those people that raised the money for charity, that was their restitution for playing with evil things in the form of D and D, and now, because the church has refused to accept their donation, now the church itself is guilty of sin, because their refusal of charity may be the restitution required for the actions, and because they cannot donate it, the church has caused them to sin?

Yeah....stupid people piss me off too. Especially the jackasses with closed minds.

Forum List

Back