Chris Rock Hosting Academy Awards,Nice Choice

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
Chris Rock is hosting the Academy Awards this year,but I really wonder if it will go over too well with recent "jokes" about abortion and white people. It is Hollywierd though,so maybe it well be o.k.!!!

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3cr1.htm

I usually don't watch these shows or just flip them on and off cause the hubby can't stand them!! :2guns:

It's a comedy skit.. Chris Rock is funny as hell. I watch him every time he's on, but that doesn't mean I believe in abortion.. Sometimes you need to just let go, and laugh. I seriously doubt he's going to do irreparable damage to the TV station, the Awards ceremony, and/or humanity as we know it...

Shattered said:
It's a comedy skit.. Chris Rock is funny as hell. I watch him every time he's on, but that doesn't mean I believe in abortion.. Sometimes you need to just let go, and laugh. I seriously doubt he's going to do irreparable damage to the TV station, the Awards ceremony, and/or humanity as we know it...

I don't think he will do irreparable damage,but don't care for some of his jokes. Too me,some things aren't good too joke about. I know he's always been kind of harsh,and I do think he's funny sometimes. I still think him and The Academy Awards don't fit though,should be interesting.

I saw him on BET (Black Entertainment TV), he did a routine on why black kids are doing so poorly, he zoomed in on a lot of points that I agree with drugs, Mom on Dope, No Dad..... all the things conservatives have been saying all along.... it made me wonder if he was just a trash mouthed comedian or using humor to make political and social statements.

KarlMarx said:
I saw him on BET (Black Entertainment TV), he did a routine on why black kids are doing so poorly, he zoomed in on a lot of points that I agree with drugs, Mom on Dope, No Dad..... all the things conservatives have been saying all along.... it made me wonder if he was just a trash mouthed comedian or using humor to make political and social statements.[/QUOT

Probably a little of both.... ;)

krisy said:
Chris Rock is hosting the Academy Awards this year,but I really wonder if it will go over too well with recent "jokes" about abortion and white people. It is Hollywierd though,so maybe it well be o.k.!!!

I usually don't watch these shows or just flip them on and off cause the hubby can't stand them!! :2guns:

He's an odd match for the Awards.

I've watched some of his shows, he's funny, but it'd be better if he layed off some of the white jokes. Could anyone here see a white commedian get away with saying sarcastic shit about blacks.

krisy said:

I don't find him all that amusing, but the "host" of the AA usually says very little, except for the opening monologue anyway.

I don't watch the awards for the host anyway - just to see who I should be kissing up to this year!!!

heh

A

KarlMarx said:
I saw him on BET (Black Entertainment TV)

LOL, thanks for the parenthetical aside...all us corn-fed white boys thought BET was an outdated tape-viewing apparatus. :teeth:

krisy said:

Dont matter to me. Im starting to wonder when they are going to realize that most people dont really care if hollywood gives themselves awards.

Trigg said:
He's an odd match for the Awards.

I've watched some of his shows, he's funny, but it'd be better if he layed off some of the white jokes. Could anyone here see a white commedian get away with saying sarcastic shit about blacks.

Why should he lay off something that's a standard part of his routine?

Personally, I think people would do well to get the sticks out of their asses. Its a friggen comedy routine - the funniest thing in the world is a joke at someone elses expense. If you say you don't tell them when the opportunity arises, I'd be willing to call you a liar.

If you're not comfortable enough with who you are that a few jokes offend you, may I recommend you reside in a bubble? You may find it more to your liking.

Shattered said:
Why should he lay off something that's a standard part of his routine?

Personally, I think people would do well to get the sticks out of their asses. Its a friggen comedy routine - the funniest thing in the world is a joke at someone elses expense. If you say you don't tell them when the opportunity arises, I'd be willing to call you a liar.

If you're not comfortable enough with who you are that a few jokes offend you, may I recommend you reside in a bubble? You may find it more to your liking.

How about if we ALL go on that same self-improvement kick? I can laugh at myself, and I can laugh when the joke's on me. Can all our sacred cow, protected minority, stick-up-the-ass ultrasensitive little special interest groups make that same claim? I'll bet the answer is "no". And I think that's the point Trigg was trying to make.

musicman said:
How about if we ALL go on that same self-improvement kick? I can laugh at myself, and I can laugh when the joke's on me. Can all our sacred cow, protected minority, stick-up-the-ass ultrasensitive little special interest groups make that same claim? I'll bet the answer is "no". And I think that's the point Trigg was trying to make.

Then what was the point in saying that he (Chris) should lay off the white jokes? It sounded to me like he took offense to them.

*shrug* To me, good comedy is good comedy.. The more sarcastic, the better.

Shattered said:
Then what was the point in saying that he (Chris) should lay off the white jokes? It sounded to me like he took offense to them.

*shrug* To me, good comedy is good comedy.. The more sarcastic, the better.

Because whites (particularly white males) always have to be good-natured, self-deprecating, and, of course, ever-sensitive to the feelings of...well, everybody else. Meanwhile, we're fair game for any shot anyone wants to take. I'm up for it, but I resent the double standard.

musicman said:
Because whites (particularly white males) always have to be good-natured, self-deprecating, and, of course, ever-sensitive to the feelings of...well, everybody else. Meanwhile, we're fair game for any shot anyone wants to take. I'm up for it, but I resent the double standard.

Bah.. There's even more cracks about PMS made... Most comedians I've seen focus on women, and their hissy fits.. But I tend to watch black comedians more than anything else (People like Jeff Foxworthy grates on my nerves - he's mostly an idiot, and is pretty boring).. Sinbad, Chris Rock, Daryl Hughley, the Wayans brothers...etc.. All a riot.

Shattered said:
Bah.. There's even more cracks about PMS made... Most comedians I've seen focus on women, and their hissy fits.. .

Yeah, but that stuff is actually FUNNY!

Just teasing...

musicman said:
Yeah, but that stuff is actually FUNNY!

Just teasing...

It is funny.. The sad thing is, if we admit it, we *know* it's true, we *know* it's coming, and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. What's even *more* sad is you guys act like it's a shock out of nowhere. :)

Shattered said:
It is funny.. The sad thing is, if we admit it, we *know* it's true, we *know* it's coming, and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. What's even *more* sad is you guys act like it's a shock out of nowhere. :)

We men are children. It's like we wake up to a brand new world every day - unencumbered by annoyances like...short-term memory!

Seems to me, then, you're all the source of your own problems. We have nothing to do with it. :halo:

Shattered said:
Seems to me, then, you're all the source of your own problems. We have nothing to do with it. :halo:

Actually, you're quite right. We like simple, basic solutions. But we fail to understand that, in relationships, "solutions" aren't always what is needed. Sometimes, y'all just need us to be there.

Forum List

Back