Chris Matthews' Documentary 'Rise of the New Right': A Curveball From the Left

From the listed site: "Matt Lewis is a writer and political commentator for PoliticsDaily.com. // He is a frequent guest on MSNBC and FOX News, and has appeared on CNN, as well as various radio shows, including NPR’s Talk of the Nation, The Hugh Hewitt Show, and The Mike Gallagher Show. Matt has also been quoted in various outlets, including The Washington Post, The New York Times and The Washington Times. // Previously, Matt served as a contributing writer for Townhall.com, the nation’s leading conservative opinion Web site, and blogged for Human Events Online."

I thought his column was generally objective. That he is a homer for the conservative side is to be noted, but I believe he was generally fair in his commentary.

The show did make some of the far right look loony or dangerous, and some of them are that way. Note some of our flamers here for examples. And the show portrayed some fairly in their own words: the Wisconsin militia leader came across thoughtfully and calmly ~ I was impressed.

Matthews is correct: the New Right is a fact of the 21st century.

The question is this: will it attract the great middle center of voters or repel them.

If history is our guide, the great middle center will reject them, but not until many good, decent Americans are harmed.

Not surprisingly the far right fringers didn't watch; the willfully ignorant are so sure they know 'The Truth' they have no need (or fear?) examing their beliefs. They are anti-science, filled with faith and as true believers unworthy of engagement in debate.
And as usual they characterize anything not far right crazy as far left - in their tiny little self righteous heads fringers see the world as white and black. White is them, and black is everyone else. Ideas, opinions and even facts which confront their Weltsicht (view of the world) are ignored, demeaned, and characterized as propaganda from "the far left".
The fact is the horrors of the 20th Century came from the fringe, and the fringe has a left and a right edge; Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and the Spanish Civil War all resulted in mass murder justified by ideology; the language and symbols used by Palin, Bachmann and others interviewed in the special on the new right leave little to the imagination - it is a movement which has been around for over half a century, and nothing good ever comes from those who pander to the emotions with hate and fear.

i find it amusing that you are so able to see in others that which you ignore in yourself.

the words pea brain come to mind. :lol:

Your use of the emoticon is instructive. That said, why don't you elaborate since your post seems to suggest you know me so well? I'd like to read what you think, or infer from my words.

i know you only from what you write here, and my posts suggest nothing more than that. you're a hyperpartisan. you consistently ascribe the lowest, most evil and/or stupid motives to the right and consistently ignore/endorse the exact same behavior when it emanates from the left. it's certainly no skin off my nose.

i used this emoticon :lol: because i'm laughing at you. glad to see you found it instructive. :thup: <<<this emoticon means i approve of you finding this emoticon >>>:lol: instructive.

What 'hate and fear' do you get from Palin and the Teaparty??? I don't see it....but I do see the mean spirited MSNBC getting away with spreading hate and racism.....idiots!

It's the Saul Alinsky thing. All you ever needed to know about obie wan knownothing is in the three A's

Alinsky

Ayres

ACORN

I watched it.

It was everything one would expect from Matthews and MSNBC on the subject matter. On top of that, there was no sign of an attempt at losing their bias, not that that is a surprise. There certainly was nothing in the hour that was new or revealing, unless you consider the presentation new and the demonization revealing.

All in all, an hour which could have been better spent.

The footage was real, the talkers were real, the commentary was a bit left of center, and the facts were presented. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder if tweety thinks bart stupids comment about "slicing and dicing" Tony Hayward reeks of violence? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: thank god that asshole is quitting.

When Chrissy and his masters at PMSnbc does a documentary on the Obamas buddy, Bill Ayers, and how he is and was a Domestic Terrorist against the United States and has said today he is NOT SORRY for his past.

then I'll try and take them SERIOUS.

When Chrissy and his masters at PMSnbc does a documentary on the Obamas buddy, Bill Ayers, and how he is and was a Domestic Terrorist against the United States and has said today he is NOT SORRY for his past.

then I'll try and take them SERIOUS.

to be absolutely factual here he did say he was sorry,, he said he was sorry he didn't do more. :eusa_whistle:

It is hard to understand how we are seen by others, and harder yet to be objective and understanding about issues. In order to get a good understanding of others, we have to know ourselves better first.

Unfortunately, the only way wrycatcher knows himself is biblicly, with his vigorous left hand.

I watched it.

It was everything one would expect from Matthews and MSNBC on the subject matter. On top of that, there was no sign of an attempt at losing their bias, not that that is a surprise. There certainly was nothing in the hour that was new or revealing, unless you consider the presentation new and the demonization revealing.

All in all, an hour which could have been better spent.

The footage was real, the talkers were real, the commentary was a bit left of center, and the facts were presented. Nothing wrong with that.

The footage was real, and edited. The talkers were real, and edited. The commentary was a bit left of center, a little? The facts were presented, the ones that fit the narrative. Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. You'll get no complaint from me except to say, I wish I could get that hour back. Only because it was all I thought it would be.

It is hard to understand how we are seen by others, and harder yet to be objective and understanding about issues. In order to get a good understanding of others, we have to know ourselves better first.

Unfortunately, the only way wrycatcher knows himself is biblicly, with his vigorous left hand.

LOL. A very mature post. I bet you read comic books and work in a rather unchallenged job, a file clerk seems likely.

Chris Matthews lost his crediblitly when he announced that everytime he heard Obama speak, he got tingles up and down his legs.....LOL!.....geez!!!

i find it amusing that you are so able to see in others that which you ignore in yourself.

the words pea brain come to mind. :lol:

Your use of the emoticon is instructive. That said, why don't you elaborate since your post seems to suggest you know me so well? I'd like to read what you think, or infer from my words.

i know you only from what you write here, and my posts suggest nothing more than that. you're a hyperpartisan. you consistently ascribe the lowest, most evil and/or stupid motives to the right and consistently ignore/endorse the exact same behavior when it emanates from the left. it's certainly no skin off my nose.

i used this emoticon :lol: because i'm laughing at you. glad to see you found it instructive. :thup: <<<this emoticon means i approve of you finding this emoticon >>>:lol: instructive.

Explain your reasoning, what makes me hyperpartisan? I readily acknowledge I am hypercirtical of the RW, the Fringe represented by Palin, Bachmann, neoconsevatives, and the echo chamber on this MB.
I also admit I am a registered Democrat and endorse labor (those who make a living by their labor) and do not support the money changers, those who make money by using the labor of others. But, I acknowledge labor and capital are symbiotic. That hardly makes me a fringer leftist or a pea brain.
The RW concerns me, very much, as did the SLA, the SDS and the Weathermen in my youth.

Last edited:
Will tingly Chris Matthews title his next documentary 'The Rise and Fall of the New Right'? Just asking........

Mathews used video footage of white wingers. He just showed the truth. Not like Fox, who alters pictures and switches video. No one is accusing Mathews of doing that.

White wingnuts just don't like the message. Only they aren't being "painted", they are "painting themselves". Hoist on their own petard.

oh brother, i'm gonna BARF. or fart.:lol::cuckoo:

Coming from you, is there a "difference"?

Apples and Aardvarks - there are few similarites between Beck and Matthews. If you believe otherwise you're not astute; as for watching Glen Beck I've seen enough to make a judgment. He's a replay of Sen. Joe McCarthy and a precise example of what I mean when I suggest emotion and faith (over reason and facts) is the foundation of the RW Fringe.
Of course there is some similarity to the LW Fringe in terms of emotion and hate trumping reason, but to characterize Matthews as a LW Fringe is disingenuous at best. But unlike most of the echo chamber you're not stupid - and that makes your posts generally dishonest.

Glenn Beck is an infotainer, he does not bill himself as a reporter, or his shows as documentaries. Mathews claims to be a reporter, and called this a documentary. McCarthy persecuted everyone he could in the name of a communist witch hunt, and used his power as a Senator to wreak habit in peoples lives. Isn't comparing Beck with McCarthy a bit like comparing apples and aardvarks?

Mathews might not be left wing fringe, but in comparing birthers to the rest of the right wing he is being as dishonest as you are condemning others for here, you should be honest and call him on it.

These right wingers are not only hilarious, but oh so predictable. Mathews didn't alter video. He didn't alter pictures. The people in his documentary were out there, honest and very proud of what their misguided political leaders have frightened them into doing.

Apples and Aardvarks - there are few similarites between Beck and Matthews. If you believe otherwise you're not astute; as for watching Glen Beck I've seen enough to make a judgment. He's a replay of Sen. Joe McCarthy and a precise example of what I mean when I suggest emotion and faith (over reason and facts) is the foundation of the RW Fringe.
Of course there is some similarity to the LW Fringe in terms of emotion and hate trumping reason, but to characterize Matthews as a LW Fringe is disingenuous at best. But unlike most of the echo chamber you're not stupid - and that makes your posts generally dishonest.

Glenn Beck is an infotainer, he does not bill himself as a reporter, or his shows as documentaries. Mathews claims to be a reporter, and called this a documentary. McCarthy persecuted everyone he could in the name of a communist witch hunt, and used his power as a Senator to wreak habit in peoples lives. Isn't comparing Beck with McCarthy a bit like comparing apples and aardvarks?

Mathews might not be left wing fringe, but in comparing birthers to the rest of the right wing he is being as dishonest as you are condemning others for here, you should be honest and call him on it.

Birthers are part of the right wing. How large a percentage of the RW are birthers is impossible to know. There is no doubt there is a legitimate nexus between McCarthyism and some outspoken members of congress, a couple of ex-governors and former Republican Speakers of the House, and no doubt that these same 'leaders' do nothing to discourage birthers or other fringers on the right.
Calling me dishonest for giving my honest opinon on the character, ignorance and arrogance of the RW Fringers on this board is unwarranted; I say what I think and there are plenty of examples available to support my opinions.
Matthews has learned what Obama has not, there is no use trying to achieve compromise with the those on the right. Matthews though gives even Buchanan his due, while Beck is clearly a charlatan (as are Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, and maybe a dozen more et als.

What would be the point of responding, forcefully or otherwise, to an obviously far left biased source, which extremely few outside the wackaloon fringe take seriously?

and what would be the point of responding to an obviously biased far right source which few outside of the loony tunes right take seriously?

some liberal says..."the right wing exists!"

where upon every conservative spinmeister in the country rises up in indignation and says
"no! they do NOT!"

after which every conservative in the country dons his tee shirt stating...
"there is NO right wing conspiracy! and I am a proud member!"

there is a left wing in America
there is a right wing in America
the left wing is weak and ineffectual
the right wing is strong, well connected and influential

Forum List

Back