Chris Matthews' Documentary 'Rise of the New Right': A Curveball From the Left

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
If MSNBC was looking to officially become the cable channel of the far left, it may have finally succeeded Wednesday night with the airing of Chris Matthews' documentary "The Rise of The New Right."

MSNBC -- the network whose hosts routinely mock Tea Party activists as "Tea Baggers" -- aggressively promoted the documentary, with Matthews appearing on "Morning Joe" and "The Daily Rundown" Wednesday morning, as well as throughout the day.
Matthews clearly believes, as "Hardball's" website says, "the new right is an emerging fact of life in 21st century." As such, it was time to launch a thorough analysis into this nascent phenomenon and (as MSNBC's documentary website says) "investigate in-depth some of the most important stories of our time." Sadly, though, Matthews' hour-long documentary effort left us with more questions than answers.

To be sure, the program came equipped with the perfunctory ominous music (meant to let you know when to be scared) and interviews ranging from respected former Majority Leader (and now president of Freedomworks) Dick Armey to Orly Taitz, the "unofficial leader of the Birthers," who recently lost a GOP primary in California by a landslide.

Last edited by a moderator:
If MSNBC was looking to officially become the cable channel of the far left, it may have finally succeeded Wednesday night with the airing of Chris Matthews' documentary "The Rise of The New Right."

MSNBC -- the network whose hosts routinely mock Tea Party activists as "Tea Baggers" -- aggressively promoted the documentary, with Matthews appearing on "Morning Joe" and "The Daily Rundown" Wednesday morning, as well as throughout the day.
Matthews clearly believes, as "Hardball's" website says, "the new right is an emerging fact of life in 21st century." As such, it was time to launch a thorough analysis into this nascent phenomenon and (as MSNBC's documentary website says) "investigate in-depth some of the most important stories of our time." Sadly, though, Matthews' hour-long documentary effort left us with more questions than answers.

To be sure, the program came equipped with the perfunctory ominous music (meant to let you know when to be scared) and interviews ranging from respected former Majority Leader (and now president of Freedomworks) Dick Armey to Orly Taitz, the "unofficial leader of the Birthers," who recently lost a GOP primary in California by a landslide.

I like that you drew attention here, but it wouldn't let me give a rep.

Yeah! and then the morning joe asswipes were on air first thing this morning about "bringing the country" together. be a fat frozen fudge sicle day in hell before I'd join the likes of tweety.. guiliani almost caused nika to stroke out this morning.. I thought that was hilarious.

watch C span today,, the demonRats are going to "slice and dice" Tony Hayward. they won't stop until the man hangs himself.

Last edited:
Pmsnbc has become nothing but PURE bullshit PROPAGANDA for the left wing and the Democrat-Progressive party.

Who do you think is PAYING their salaries?
it sure isn't from advertisers, hardly anyone watches them.

think about it.?

Pmsnbc has become nothing but PURE bullshit PROPAGANDA for the left wing and the Democrat-Progressive party.

Who do you think is PAYING their salaries?
it sure isn't from advertisers, hardly anyone watches them.

think about it.?

we don't have to think about it GE and MSNBC are wholly owned subsidiaries of obie wan knownuttin

Not surprisingly the far right fringers didn't watch; the willfully ignorant are so sure they know 'The Truth' they have no need (or fear?) examing their beliefs. They are anti-science, filled with faith and as true believers unworthy of engagement in debate.
And as usual they characterize anything not far right crazy as far left - in their tiny little self righteous heads fringers see the world as white and black. White is them, and black is everyone else. Ideas, opinions and even facts which confront their Weltsicht (view of the world) are ignored, demeaned, and characterized as propaganda from "the far left".
The fact is the horrors of the 20th Century came from the fringe, and the fringe has a left and a right edge; Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and the Spanish Civil War all resulted in mass murder justified by ideology; the language and symbols used by Palin, Bachmann and others interviewed in the special on the new right leave little to the imagination - it is a movement which has been around for over half a century, and nothing good ever comes from those who pander to the emotions with hate and fear.

Not surprisingly the far right fringers didn't watch; the willfully ignorant are so sure they know 'The Truth' they have no need (or fear?) examing their beliefs. They are anti-science, filled with faith and as true believers unworthy of engagement in debate.
And as usual they characterize anything not far right crazy as far left - in their tiny little self righteous heads fringers see the world as white and black. White is them, and black is everyone else. Ideas, opinions and even facts which confront their Weltsicht (view of the world) are ignored, demeaned, and characterized as propaganda from "the far left".
The fact is the horrors of the 20th Century came from the fringe, and the fringe has a left and a right edge; Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and the Spanish Civil War all resulted in mass murder justified by ideology; the language and symbols used by Palin, Bachmann and others interviewed in the special on the new right leave little to the imagination - it is a movement which has been around for over half a century, and nothing good ever comes from those who pander to the emotions with hate and fear.

So how did you like the last six months of the Glenn Beck Show?

Did you take notes?

Or should I merely change the fifth word and repeat your post?

i find it amusing that you are so able to see in others that which you ignore in yourself.

the words pea brain come to mind. :lol:

Mathews used video footage of white wingers. He just showed the truth. Not like Fox, who alters pictures and switches video. No one is accusing Mathews of doing that.

White wingnuts just don't like the message. Only they aren't being "painted", they are "painting themselves". Hoist on their own petard.

Mathews used video footage of white wingers. He just showed the truth. Not like Fox, who alters pictures and switches video. No one is accusing Mathews of doing that.

White wingnuts just don't like the message. Only they aren't being "painted", they are "painting themselves". Hoist on their own petard.

oh brother, i'm gonna BARF. or fart.:lol::cuckoo:

So how did you like the last six months of the Glenn Beck Show?

Did you take notes?

Or should I merely change the fifth word and repeat your post?

Apples and Aardvarks - there are few similarites between Beck and Matthews. If you believe otherwise you're not astute; as for watching Glen Beck I've seen enough to make a judgment. He's a replay of Sen. Joe McCarthy and a precise example of what I mean when I suggest emotion and faith (over reason and facts) is the foundation of the RW Fringe.
Of course there is some similarity to the LW Fringe in terms of emotion and hate trumping reason, but to characterize Matthews as a LW Fringe is disingenuous at best. But unlike most of the echo chamber you're not stupid - and that makes your posts generally dishonest.

i find it amusing that you are so able to see in others that which you ignore in yourself.

Your use of the emoticon is instructive. That said, why don't you elaborate since your post seems to suggest you know me so well? I'd like to read what you think, or infer from my words.

What 'hate and fear' do you get from Palin and the Teaparty??? I don't see it....but I do see the mean spirited MSNBC getting away with spreading hate and racism.....idiots!

Your use of the emoticon is instructive. That said, why don't you elaborate since your post seems to suggest you know me so well? I'd like to read what you think, or infer from my words.
We can all read your words, Francis.

You're the forum's poster boy for projection, lack of introspection, and what David Bergland described as the PANGie mindset.

Physician, heal thyself.

From the listed site: "Matt Lewis is a writer and political commentator for PoliticsDaily.com. // He is a frequent guest on MSNBC and FOX News, and has appeared on CNN, as well as various radio shows, including NPR’s Talk of the Nation, The Hugh Hewitt Show, and The Mike Gallagher Show. Matt has also been quoted in various outlets, including The Washington Post, The New York Times and The Washington Times. // Previously, Matt served as a contributing writer for Townhall.com, the nation’s leading conservative opinion Web site, and blogged for Human Events Online."

I thought his column was generally objective. That he is a homer for the conservative side is to be noted, but I believe he was generally fair in his commentary.

The show did make some of the far right look loony or dangerous, and some of them are that way. Note some of our flamers here for examples. And the show portrayed some fairly in their own words: the Wisconsin militia leader came across thoughtfully and calmly ~ I was impressed.

Matthews is correct: the New Right is a fact of the 21st century.

The question is this: will it attract the great middle center of voters or repel them.

I watched it.

It was everything one would expect from Matthews and MSNBC on the subject matter. On top of that, there was no sign of an attempt at losing their bias, not that that is a surprise. There certainly was nothing in the hour that was new or revealing, unless you consider the presentation new and the demonization revealing.

All in all, an hour which could have been better spent.

Forum List

Back