Chris Christie in 2016

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BallsBrunswick, Dec 8, 2012.

1. BallsBrunswick

BallsBrunswick Fair and Balanced

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I watched Christie on the Daily Show the other day and was impressed with how he handled himself. I've followed Christie a bit since he began as New Jersey governor and have been interested in his character and his politics. The guy seems to get stuff done and is rather charismatic. I think right now he's the best choice for 2016 as President. Of course there's a couple of problems. First, the guy is fat and in our image conscious society it's likely he won't get a majority of the vote just based on this. Second, he's a Republican and the majority of the country detests the Republican party. Also, the Republicans have shown that they fear and will hold down any of their politicians who shown a semblance of intelligence or integrity. If Christie jumped parties, he'd have a reasonable shot but he has repeatedly said he has no desire to jump. So what do you guys think of Christie in 2016?

2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,934
    I appreciate Chris Christie. He's an honest man in a sea of dishonesty, and he's a breath of fresh air.

But I'd never vote for him.

3. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,197
    Christie's a northeast Republican, and like I've said many times about NY Republicans they generally have a lot more sense and brains than conservatives from the red states,

mostly because our people, even our brand of conservatives, won't tolerate the kind of stupidity you see in the red states.

He's doing a better job in a blue state than Romney did. The problem is if he runs for president would he have to become a rightwing nut cartoon character in order to win the primaries, as Romney did,

and as a consequence lose all semblance of credibility, as Romney did.

4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,383

I don't know if Christie has the right temperament. But if he were to run in the primaries, I suspect his success would depend upon whether the absolutist crazies still control things. Christie just doesn't seem like a guy who's going to bend over for those folks, so the hardliners would line up behind Rubio, probably.

Then it would depend upon how many sane pragmatics go with Christie (and, of course, who else is in the race).

5. RoadVirus

RoadVirus <insert pithy title here>

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +583
    You think he's honest and "a breath of fresh air", yet you wouldn't vote for him?

That makes no sense. Why not vote for a man who will actually do the job we want our politicians to do?

6. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Agree for the most part.

A Christy candidacy would be an excellent opportunity to break the stranglehold the radical right has on the GOP, and demonstrate that the nomination can be realized without a candidate being forced to veer to the hard right during the primaries.

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,934
    Because I disagree with him on nearly every issue.

8. hazlnut

hazlnut Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    If Hilary doesn't run, he's got a chance.