Chris Christie fires education secretary

Complete bullshit...

how do you explain his nomination when it's clear he wasn't thought of very highly by the committee?

I don't hold a position within the Christie administration...

"See, the problem with speculation is you make a speck out of you and some guy named lation." - Gregory House, MD

you know, sometimes it's ok to acknowledge what goes on in the political world. as i pointed out in the post above the one you responded to, his nomination was released 'without comment'. not quite a ringing endorsement.

as i also said though, it's not like christie had a choice. i figure he had to have been livid.

Which is my point. No one expects Obama to keep someone who allows his staff to make a fool of him in front of a reporter, but they call Christie a hypocrite because he is made to look like a fool by a lie someone who works for him told.

Certainly Christie was right to fire this clown.

But I imagine that if a member of Obama's cabinet had to be dismissed for a combination of incompetence and outrageous dishonesty, that appointment would be viewed as indicative of a serious character flaw on Obama's part. I suppose we'd have at least a week of national media discussion (and certainly threads on here) about the President's judgment. In fact, I remember a fair amount of flack directed at Obama personally for Vilsack's gun-jumping in the Sherrod incident.

So let's remember that if Obama ever has to fire a cabinet member for incompetence and dishonesty, that doesn't reflect poorly on him at all. I don't anticipate that happening but just in case, let's get that clear now.

Chris Christie fires education secretary

Don't the Republican hate government? Why would they want federal money? Why would they scream for jobs? Republicans are confusing.

how do you explain his nomination when it's clear he wasn't thought of very highly by the committee?

"See, the problem with speculation is you make a speck out of you and some guy named lation." - Gregory House, MD

you know, sometimes it's ok to acknowledge what goes on in the political world. as i pointed out in the post above the one you responded to, his nomination was released 'without comment'. not quite a ringing endorsement.

as i also said though, it's not like christie had a choice. i figure he had to have been livid.

I already said Schundler fucked up... He deserved to be tossed...

I can't say it any clearer...

I was commenting on the appointment to appease conservatives as pure bullshit...

Which is my point. No one expects Obama to keep someone who allows his staff to make a fool of him in front of a reporter, but they call Christie a hypocrite because he is made to look like a fool by a lie someone who works for him told.

Certainly Christie was right to fire this clown.

But I imagine that if a member of Obama's cabinet had to be dismissed for a combination of incompetence and outrageous dishonesty, that appointment would be viewed as indicative of a serious character flaw on Obama's part. I suppose we'd have at least a week of national media discussion (and certainly threads on here) about the President's judgment. In fact, I remember a fair amount of flack directed at Obama personally for Vilsack's gun-jumping in the Sherrod incident.

So let's remember that if Obama ever has to fire a cabinet member for incompetence and dishonesty, that doesn't reflect poorly on him at all. I don't anticipate that happening but just in case, let's get that clear now.

Not by me, I would view it as incompetent vetting by his staff. Since I actually expect that from them anyway, as does most of the universe, I will just shrug and wonder why people are trying to claim the man is smart even though he surrounds himself with idiots.

See the difference? Obama routinely nominates people who end up with some type of problem, and the press only says something after he has done it often enough that it is impossible to pretend that it is not a pattern. He also fires anyone who causes him the slightest amount of embarrassment, even if it is not actually their fault.

Christie nominates someone to a job, and accepts responsibility for the mistake he made, until he finds it compounded by a lie in order to cover it up. Tell me honestly, which type would you rather have as a boss?

I already said Schundler fucked up... He deserved to be tossed...

I can't say it any clearer...

I was commenting on the appointment to appease conservatives as pure bullshit...

oh.. that may or may not be true... i don't know enough about local nj politics to know.

Why is it hypocritical? What do you expect him to do? Apologize for someone in his administration for fucking up and then do nothing about it? That'll do a lot of good. He removed the guy from the position and in doing so hopefully solved the problem so that it doesn't happen again. That doesn't make him a hypocrite. He's taking responsibility.

Christie probably shouldn't of vowed to not fire anybody in the first place. By vowing that, and then going back on it by firing someone is hypocritical.

link to where he vowed not to fire anybody....

is this another modbert won't give a link moment.....:eusa_whistle:

Republicans have no use for education anyway.

How do they put it? "It's just a piece of paper".

yeah...republicans are nasty....they are the lowest form of scum on this earth

why don't we round them all up and kill them

wait....don't get any ideas

Really? That's odd, Zona must be a Republican now since he has often told me that my four degrees mean nothing.

Schundler is a right wing conservative Republican who has failed in general elections numerous times. He was appointed by Christie as a token to the Conservatives

Turns out the NJ voters were right about Shundler
It seems that Brent Schundler is Chris Christy's Mike Brown. And it seems that Christy is off to a good start.

I live in New Jersey and I'd like to see the sonofabitch go down in flames -- the sooner the better.

Dude deserved to be fired.

Are you implying that the Gov should have resigned or took the blame?

Well, since he stated that he would take the blame last week, it's a bit hypocritical to turn around and fire the guy a week later. But yeah, he probably deserved to get fired.

obama said the bucks stops with him....yet how many times has he taken responsibilty? the NY flyover? nope...someone else got got canned....

next
When the actions of the Justice Department resulted in the hideous death-by-fire of twenty-one innocent children in the incompetently handled seige of the Branch Davidian premises at Waco, TX, Janet Reno said, "I assume full responsibility." And what does that mean? Not a goddam thing!

Whoever was responsible for that outrageously mismanaged fifty-nine day debacle and its disgracefully tragic conclusion is clearly guilty of criminal negligence. But the assumption seems to be that when an exalted official issues the magic pronouncement in assuming responsibility that means it's over, nothing more to say, no one to punish. "I have spoken."

Christy said he assumes full responsibility. Did that mean he was going to fire himself? He then proceeded to point his finger in all directions looking for a scapegoat, which the federal government provided in the form of video evidence of the incompetence of the political crony he appointed. If not for that the issue would have ended with Christy blaming the feds and back to business as usual.

"I assume responsibility!" means absolutely nothing. It is a device by which an issue is pushed aside until something arises to obscure it.

Really? That's odd, Zona must be a Republican now since he has often told me that my four degrees mean nothing.

Wait, let me guess:

Osteopathics
Robotics
Stratigraphy
Condensed Matter/Low temperature physics

Was I close?

Damn...why would you want to get four degrees?

After the first one, the others are just pieces of paper

It's really the story that's entertaining. Christie told us whose fault it really is on August 25:

Christie said officials at the U.S. Department of Education could have easily either called New Jersey or found the information on the internet. State Education Commissioner Bret Schundler gave the correct information to the U.S. Department of Education when giving his presentation two weeks ago, Christie said.

“That’s the stuff the Obama administration should answer for. Are you guys just down there checking boxes like mindless drones, or are you thinking?” said Christie. “When the president comes back to New Jersey, he’s going to have to explain to the people of the state of New Jersey why he’s depriving them of $400 million that this application earned.”

But the very next day on August 26:
But today, the U.S. Department of Education released video footage contradicting Christie’s claim. The video shows state officials struggling and failing to provide correct budget information during a 90-minute presentation. In addition, a federal official said the state never provided the required information.

About one hour into the presentation, held on Aug. 11 in Washington, D.C., a soft-spoken reviewer asked for help locating missing information in the state’s application for Race to the Top funding. After a few moments of silence, New Jersey Education Commissioner Bret Schundler turned to the assistant commissioner to his left.

"No I cannot. I don’t, um..." said the assistant commissioner, Willa Spicer.

"We can come back to that, if someone wants to take a look, that would be fine," said a reviewer, one of five who would grade the state’s application.

Though Christie has portrayed federal officials as nitpicking and begrudging about the state’s application, the video shows that toward the end of the session, federal reviewers asked the New Jersey delegation a second time if they had found the correct information.

"No. No, we all searched," Spicer said.

Whoops.

Thank you for highlight why Christie was correct in dismissing Schundler. He fucked the application up, then lied to the governor about it.

If this were Corzine, he would have promoted the guy to Lt. Governor.

It's really the story that's entertaining. Christie told us whose fault it really is on August 25:

Christie said officials at the U.S. Department of Education could have easily either called New Jersey or found the information on the internet. State Education Commissioner Bret Schundler gave the correct information to the U.S. Department of Education when giving his presentation two weeks ago, Christie said.

“That’s the stuff the Obama administration should answer for. Are you guys just down there checking boxes like mindless drones, or are you thinking?” said Christie. “When the president comes back to New Jersey, he’s going to have to explain to the people of the state of New Jersey why he’s depriving them of $400 million that this application earned.”

But the very next day on August 26:
But today, the U.S. Department of Education released video footage contradicting Christie’s claim. The video shows state officials struggling and failing to provide correct budget information during a 90-minute presentation. In addition, a federal official said the state never provided the required information.

About one hour into the presentation, held on Aug. 11 in Washington, D.C., a soft-spoken reviewer asked for help locating missing information in the state’s application for Race to the Top funding. After a few moments of silence, New Jersey Education Commissioner Bret Schundler turned to the assistant commissioner to his left.

"No I cannot. I don’t, um..." said the assistant commissioner, Willa Spicer.

"We can come back to that, if someone wants to take a look, that would be fine," said a reviewer, one of five who would grade the state’s application.

Though Christie has portrayed federal officials as nitpicking and begrudging about the state’s application, the video shows that toward the end of the session, federal reviewers asked the New Jersey delegation a second time if they had found the correct information.

"No. No, we all searched," Spicer said.

Whoops.

Thank you for highlight why Christie was correct in dismissing Schundler. He fucked the application up, then lied to the governor about it.

If this were Corzine, he would have promoted the guy to Lt. Governor.

And if it were McGreevy......well, you know what he would have done

Forum List

Back