Chris Christie Disagrees with Armed Guards in Schools

Glensather

Gothic Vampires
Nov 10, 2012
World 1-1
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Friday said he disagrees with the idea of putting armed guards in schools, saying there should be better ways to ensure student safety.

“In general I don’t think that the solution to safety in schools is putting an armed guard because for it to be really effective in my view, from a law enforcement perspective, you have to have an armed guard at every classroom,” Christie said, according to NorthJersey.com. “Because if you just have an armed guard at the front door then what if this guy had gone around to the side door? There’s many doors in and out of schools.”

“You don’t want to make this an armed camp for kids,” Christie said. “I don’t think that’s a positive example for children. We should be able to figure out other ways to enhance safety.”

But there's also the issue of cost, and Christie has prided himself on cutting deficits and managing the state's finances better. According to the NJ Dept. of Education, there are roughly 2,500 public schools in the country. Hiring just one armed guard for each school and paying them 30k a year in salary, equates to $75,000,000 in just salary costs.

SOURCE: Chris Christie Disagrees With Armed Guards in Schools: ‘You Don’t Want to Make This an Armed Camp for Kids’ | TheBlaze.com
SOURCE 2: Chris Christie opposes armed guards in schools
SOURCE 3: Christie shows Common Sense, Rejects Knee-jerk proposal of Armed Guards in Schools | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

I know a lot of people on both ends of the partisan spectrum don't like Christie for various reasons, but I like the man. He's more concerned with his state than with politics, and will do whatever it takes.

IMO, he takes a very sensible stance to this.

There are people here who sat the TSA keeps us safe at airports.

Why wouldn't an agency like the TSA keep our schools safe?

Whether or not one agrees with it, I just don't think it's very practical, cost wise. Many schools (around here anyway) struggle with their budget as it is. Adding an agency to police schools would cut into the education budget umbrella deeply.

What would you cut in a school already strapped for cash, to provide for these? There's no easy answer. There's no GOOD answer.

If you wanted this in schools, I think the first thing to do is fix the economy.

Let's talk about it simply in terms of practicality...

for a set-up like the one you're proposing to effectively work, access would have to be tightly controlled, as it's now done in airports at the points leading to the loading areas...

and at each of the tens of thousands of schools, everyone (students, teachers, cafeteria workers, vendors, visiting parents, etc...) would daily have to go through essentially the same process that you now go through whenever you need to board an airplane...

and each of these tens of thousands of campuses would have to be surrounded by some sort of security system... such as eight-foot fences topped by razor wire, backed up by a sensor system to indicate breaches...

Last edited:
Like I said when the storm happened.

Christie is not going to be owned by this current republican party tea party minority who owns the republicans today.

There was a day when his eyes were opened.

He saw GREAT suffering by people who had done nothing to bring it on themselves.

His face melted in compassion.

He accepted help and helped others.

He thanked a person who helped him help others.

The right we have today will kill his carreer for it.

Im hoping the real majority of right leaning posters will heave the tea party minority to the curb and allow them to own the gutter.

The Christies of the republican party need to walk away from these these gutter lapping idiots and never look back at them.

Dummy.

There's only one 'door' into the boarding gate area.

Think before you type.

Fanatical gun owners must hate to fly. You guy must feel castrated without dick compensation boom sticks.

The Christies of the republican party need to walk away from these these gutter lapping idiots and never look back at them.

I disagree to an extent. The GOP needs to dispose of the crazies, rather than walk out. If the moderate Republicans walk out of the party, then they'll lose any power they might have. The problem with a two-party system is just that; only two parties really have any potential to acquire power. If they remove all the far rights from their party (and Democrats would do good to remove all the far lefts), then their power would gain. They'd get votes.

Dummy.

There's only one 'door' into the boarding gate area.

Think before you type.

Fanatical gun owners must hate to fly. You guy must feel castrated without dick compensation boom sticks.
The H.S. I went to had Security Guards at all entrances and exits. Which was really out of the ordinary back in 1979-81 but my H.S. (Long Beach Poly) WAS and IS in a high crime area.

If you didn't have a pass to leave before regular school hours were over, they didn't let you out.

And you're wrong, there are MANY more doors that lead to the boarding gate area at an airport after the TSA checks your underwear for Al Qaida.

Dummy. Think before you type.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Friday said he disagrees with the idea of putting armed guards in schools, saying there should be better ways to ensure student safety.

“In general I don’t think that the solution to safety in schools is putting an armed guard because for it to be really effective in my view, from a law enforcement perspective, you have to have an armed guard at every classroom,” Christie said, according to NorthJersey.com. “Because if you just have an armed guard at the front door then what if this guy had gone around to the side door? There’s many doors in and out of schools.”

“You don’t want to make this an armed camp for kids,” Christie said. “I don’t think that’s a positive example for children. We should be able to figure out other ways to enhance safety.”

But there's also the issue of cost, and Christie has prided himself on cutting deficits and managing the state's finances better. According to the NJ Dept. of Education, there are roughly 2,500 public schools in the country. Hiring just one armed guard for each school and paying them 30k a year in salary, equates to $75,000,000 in just salary costs.

SOURCE: Chris Christie Disagrees With Armed Guards in Schools: ‘You Don’t Want to Make This an Armed Camp for Kids’ | TheBlaze.com
SOURCE 2: Chris Christie opposes armed guards in schools
SOURCE 3: Christie shows Common Sense, Rejects Knee-jerk proposal of Armed Guards in Schools | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

I know a lot of people on both ends of the partisan spectrum don't like Christie for various reasons, but I like the man. He's more concerned with his state than with politics, and will do whatever it takes.

IMO, he takes a very sensible stance to this.

He's trying to be another John McCain.

I think instead of saying what he's against he needs to think of solutions that are workable. That would make him sound less like a Democrat.

Refreshing, at least there are some republicans with common sense – too bad they’re in such a minority.

New Topics

Forum List

Back