Chris Christie: A better choice for VP than Marco Rubio?

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
There's a poll out, showing Christie at an all-time job approval high.

It seems to me that Christie would be a better pick than Rubio on the basis that he would energize the base and independents the most. Also, he could bring New Jersey into play.

Rubio on the other hand would be a pick me up in Florida; but Romney should win that state anyways. So what state would Rubio bring to the table? New Mexico? I doubt it. New Mexico is basically Albuquerque and that town is all Dem'd out. It's mostly baren dessert everywhere else, so unlike other states where rural areas temper the urban Dem vote, it just won't work there.

Meanwhile, I think Christie could help in a lot of swing states where Rubio would not: NC, Viriginia, Ohio, Iowa and New Hampshire. And he could tighten the races in northeastern states like Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Christie as VP? A man about one Twinkie away from the Emergency Room? No thanks.

Rubio? He has absolutely nothing to offer - except maybe some wingnut votes in Florida.

There's a poll out, showing Christie at an all-time job approval high.

It seems to me that Christie would be a better pick than Rubio on the basis that he would energize the base and independents the most. Also, he could bring New Jersey into play.

Rubio on the other hand would be a pick me up in Florida; but Romney should win that state anyways. So what state would Rubio bring to the table? New Mexico? I doubt it. New Mexico is basically Albuquerque and that town is all Dem'd out. It's mostly baren dessert everywhere else, so unlike other states where rural areas temper the urban Dem vote, it just won't work there.

Meanwhile, I think Christie could help in a lot of swing states where Rubio would not: NC, Viriginia, Ohio, Iowa and New Hampshire. And he could tighten the races in northeastern states like Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Christie has had the brass balls to take on the Unions and status quo that has taken that State down.

Christie as VP? A man about one Twinkie away from the Emergency Room? No thanks.

Rubio? He has absolutely nothing to offer - except maybe some wingnut votes in Florida.

We get it. Libs are scared of both of them. Now let the grown ups talk.

Libs were supposedly scared of:

Perry
Santorum
Gingrich
Cain
Bachman
Palin

Now they are supposedly scared of Romney/Christie? :lol: Bring it on.....:lol:

Mitt should pick someone from the South. The primaries should have been you all's first clue about how he plays in Dixie.

Grown ups? Damn, that's funny. Now I need some Pepsi and a cigarette.

I wish you wouldn't have said that. I'm not addicted to nicotine fortunately. But I am a caffeine addict. Luckily, I don't keep any in the house and I tend to stay away from it nowadays.

Perry
Santorum
Gingrich
Cain
Bachman
Palin

Mitt should pick someone from the South. The primaries should have been you all's first clue about how he plays in Dixie.

All of them have formidable aspects. Cain was a business man and he could take away the minority vote. Bachman could lessen their war on women and pull from that base. Perry was from the only state that grew jobs. Gingrich is much sharper than Obama.

All of that said, don't pretend that the Dems don't have preferences. They hit Romney hard in Michigan in the hopes of facing off against pinhead, Santorum or Gingrich and his baggage. They were scared of Romney and we're seeing why every day. He's hitting Obama hard on the economy and they can't fire back that he's a religious nut (Santorum) or a shady character (Gingrich).

I don't know...i like a lot about Christie, he just pissed me off when he lowered the state flags for Whitney Houston! She was no "hero".......

I'm looking forward to the Republican convention. Awkward speeches about why Romney is the best of the best.

You may be disappointed. Even guys like Santorum or Gingrich who are butt hurt will likely hedge and just make it about attacking Obama. Now if Ron Paul speaks then who knows what kind of fireworks we might see.

I don't know...i like a lot about Christie, he just pissed me off when he lowered the state flags for Whitney Houston! She was no "hero".......

It was probably the wrong call; especially while marines are dying for us. I don't think that issue will have any relevance though.

Christie is not going to join a losing ticket, that’s why he didn’t bother to run for president this year. Christie wants to be president, not VP, he’s not going to do anything to jeopardize his run for the WH in 2016.

Rubio on the other hand would be a pick me up in Florida; but Romney should win that state anyways.

Not necessarily, on both counts. Rubio is more popular outside of Florida and that state’s republican governor is exceedingly unpopular.

Christie would be a great VP, but you know the democrats would have appoplexy over his weight. They'd probably want to try him for treason since he's a threat to national security.

Perry
Santorum
Gingrich
Cain
Bachman
Palin

All of them have formidable aspects. Cain was a business man and he could take away the minority vote. Bachman could lessen their war on women and pull from that base. Perry was from the only state that grew jobs. Gingrich is much sharper than Obama.
And you nutjobs nominated Romney.... Speaks volumes.

All of that said, don't pretend that the Dems don't have preferences. They hit Romney hard in Michigan in the hopes of facing off against pinhead, Santorum or Gingrich and his baggage. They were scared of Romney and we're seeing why every day. He's hitting Obama hard on the economy and they can't fire back that he's a religious nut (Santorum) or a shady character (Gingrich).

Romney has no specific plans to fix anything except cut taxes on people like him (which we did) and increase taxes on the poor (which we will do). Also cutting regulations down to nothing. Under Romney, I'm quite sure there will be Wall Street types bundling student loans and selling them as investment vehicles. Just like they did with mortgages...when the bubble bursts; you can blame Obama.

Christie is not going to join a losing ticket, that’s why he didn’t bother to run for president this year. Christie wants to be president, not VP, he’s not going to do anything to jeopardize his run for the WH in 2016.

Rubio on the other hand would be a pick me up in Florida; but Romney should win that state anyways.

Not necessarily, on both counts. Rubio is more popular outside of Florida and that state’s republican governor is exceedingly unpopular.

I think you assume that Christie is very cunning. I think he had a lot of reasons for not running in 2012, and I don't think it was part of a grand plan to run in 2016 instead.

Also, being on a winning ticket (2012) is very much going to help him in 2020.

And if you think that Christie is "exceedingly unpopular" especially relative to Rubio then you're living under a rock. People of all parties love Christie b/c he fireballs it. He's not a guarded suit like Rubio.

Forum List

Back