CHP (California Highway Patrol) officially declares itself "Paramilitary Organization"

All professional police departments are paramilitary organizations. The LA County Lifeguards is also a paramilitary organization.

I was listening to the Commander of the CHP being interviewed earlier this week- very well spoken and thoughtful man.
Prior to the Newhall Massacre, the CHP had a reputation based more on being helpful and friendly to most motorists they encountered than on intimidation and command presence. That blew up in their faces when the four officers were murdered in about five minutes time. Since then some believe the department may have overreacted, but the CHP patrols in one person cruisers often without benefit of immediate back up. Like all sworn law enforcement personnel, they are asked to tightrope a very fine line between protection, service, and oppression.

Fifty years ago the CHP were much less "paramilitary" than they are currently; then came Newhall:
"The Newhall massacre was a shootout between two heavily armed criminals and officers of the California Highway Patrol(CHP) in the Newhall unincorporated area of Los Angeles County, California on April 6, 1970. In less than 5 minutes, four CHP officers were killed in what was at the time the deadliest day in the history of California law enforcement."
Newhall massacre - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

In that case, the Waco and Ruby Ridge tragedies should permit US citizens to own apache helicopters.

In that case, the Waco and Ruby Ridge tragedies should permit US citizens to own apache helicopters.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. The only innocent victims in the CHP incident I mentioned were the murdered officers:
"Jack Twinning, age 35, and Bobby Davis, 27, were both career criminals with long histories of violent felonies. Twinning had been in and out of eight different federal prisons since age 16, including a 5-year stint at Alcatraz in which he killed another prisoner in self-defense. He had been released from a federal prison in Tallahassee, Florida 11 months prior to the shootings. Davis had been released from prison 8 months prior to the shootings and was on parole in Houston, Texas. Twinning and Davis met and became friends in prison..."

" Inside their red Pontiac, they had amassed numerous weapons, including handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Overall, they had twice as many weapons as the four CHP officers they would eventually face had in their two patrol cars.[5]"

Newhall massacre - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I was listening to the Commander of the CHP being interviewed earlier this week- very well spoken and thoughtful man.
Prior to the Newhall Massacre, the CHP had a reputation based more on being helpful and friendly to most motorists they encountered than on intimidation and command presence. That blew up in their faces when the four officers were murdered in about five minutes time. Since then some believe the department may have overreacted, but the CHP patrols in one person cruisers often without benefit of immediate back up. Like all sworn law enforcement personnel, they are asked to tightrope a very fine line between protection, service, and oppression.

Actually, the 55 mph speed limit (1973) broke the trust between the public and the CHP. After that, it ceased being a public safety organization and became a government tax collector. Previously, the CHP had pushed through a ballot initiative (Prop. 16 - 1972) which required that CHP officers would receive the highest law enforcement salaries in the State. With overtime pay, they routinely exceed $100k per year. Not bad for writing speeding tickets.

California Highway Patrol - Recruiting

I agree with the definitions of a para military organization as that is the correct term for a structured ranked organization.

The question doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Actually, the 55 mph speed limit (1973) broke the trust between the public and the CHP. After that, it ceased being a public safety organization and became a government tax collector. Previously, the CHP had pushed through a ballot initiative (Prop. 16 - 1972) which required that CHP officers would receive the highest law enforcement salaries in the State. With overtime pay, they routinely exceed $100k per year. Not bad for writing speeding tickets.

California Highway Patrol - Recruiting

I suggest you take a ride along, though being the moron you appear to be, I doubt even a routine night of stopping cars (knowing guns are ubiquitous in our society) wouldn't impress you; nor stopping to aid a citizen with car trouble as vehicles zoom by at highway speeds and greater; nor covering the body of a child killed by a drunk driver; nor spending every Christmas Eve (and other major holidays) trying to stop the many drunk drivers from putting another child under a tarp or killing an entire family.

'BTW, only 3 of 100 recruits pass the comprehensive background check, complete the academy and one year probation.

Forum List

Back