Choppers fired on on Eastern Afghan by Pakistanis

he's in Pakistan

Well, while an alingment with India might offset some of that,it would also increase tensions in a regions like Kashmir not to mention the fact, you have a pipeline in Pakistan where weapons can be delivered by unconventional means. While a MAD doctine makes sense when you have controlled stockpiles on both sides in this case you don't, in Pakistans case to abandon that you would be giving them license to run around handing this technology off to rouge states and terrorists groups if they have not already. In some ways by have a somewhat distant allience with them it serves both our interests and theirs.

Well, while an alingment with India might offset some of that,it would also increase tensions in a regions like Kashmir not to mention the fact, you have a pipeline in Pakistan where weapons can be delivered by unconventional means. While a MAD doctine makes sense when you have controlled stockpiles on both sides in this case you don't, in Pakistans case to abandon that you would be giving them license to run around handing this technology off to rouge states and terrorists groups if they have not already. In some ways by have a somewhat distant allience with them it serves both our interests and theirs.

We would basically be saying we aren't going to do anything because you might help terrorists. I think that a stern approach is what is necessary. I completely understand what you are saying but we are sayin no negotiations with terrorists but we will let you stay here and attack us as long as you go back when you are done.

We would basically be saying we aren't going to do anything because you might help terrorists. I think that a stern approach is what is necessary. I completely understand what you are saying but we are sayin no negotiations with terrorists but we will let you stay here and attack us as long as you go back when you are done.

I think in this case, you can have your cake and eat it too, this is just an opinion on the situation now. I think that you can send a message to Pakistan that your forces that are deployed conducting operations in the field that are fired upon have been given permssion to return fire. While at the same time, offering the Pakastani Military the ability to train with NATO and embedded with them on operations against these terrorists groups. This will have the advantage of teaching them discipline and also develop working relationships that help get to these groups. This same type of strategy worked well in Iraq in Anbar with the tribes there.

Im well aware of that as well and the training in Iraq is top notch however the problem lies with Pakistan not wanting us in their border space. Joint missions in Pakistan would be what strengthened the alliance not us telling them how to do it and hoping they go through with it. Which so far they have not.

Im well aware of that as well and the training in Iraq is top notch however the problem lies with Pakistan not wanting us in their border space. Joint missions in Pakistan would be what strengthened the alliance not us telling them how to do it and hoping they go through with it. Which so far they have not.

As I mentioned above you can actually do both though in Pakistan, you can take a hard stand on these shootings while at the same time work with the Pakastanis to see to it that they are trained in such a manner as to prevent it from happening.

I agree except for the training pakistani's they want to be trained but dont want to be forced to attack the enemy. We may just be training a future enemy

I agree except for the training pakistani's they want to be trained but dont want to be forced to attack the enemy. We may just be training a future enemy

Perhaps, but sometimes through that training you build alliences on the ground between people. Thats a real important asset for someone conducting operations on the ground. So even if you get that out of it, you have accomplished your goal. That region of Pakistan , btw has traditionally been for lack of a better word the wild wild west. The Pakistani Army has little control of the region as well.

If they were firing into Afghani airspace, I have a serious problem with this. If not, I think it is time we respect the Pakistani border. My only question would be, how do we know the given information is accurate from either side? Border disputes are quite common. I do however think it is unfortunate our relationship with Pakistan has disintegrated into this. Pretty sad.

Last edited:
If they were firing into Afghani airspace, I have a serious problem with this. If not, I think it is time we respect the Pakistani border. My only question would be, how do we know the given information is accurate from either side? Border disputes are quite common. I do however think it is unfortunate our relationship with Pakistan has disintegrated into this. Pretty sad.

The Associated Press: Pakistani troops fire on US helicopters at border

Here is another rendition from the A/P

I agree with Willow. If they are really going to fire on our troops and fight against us to rid their country of terrorists, stop giving them the billion dollars in aid that we are providing. You would think that with all of the problems with terrorist attacks they are having lately, they would be more interested in getting trouble makers out of their country, but it seems like there is too much support among the populace for them. We should just cut our losses and say screw 'em. Hopefully it does not become another Afghanistan under the Taliban.

Forum List

Back