Choose your worth?

You stated:

"Every person I know is paid EXACTLY what their production is worth."

You seem to have made it your concern

Not my concern, they chose what they are worth by accepting the job. If they think they are worth more, they need to make their skills more valuable to an employer.

Question: is an employee always paid what they are worth?

And does our job market prioritize which jobs are most important, and pay accordingly.

I'm thinking of nursing vs. investment banking. Which one will people say they value more? Which one pays more? Is that a reflection on the value of the profession?

I would say sometimes not. For example: 2nd string baseball player vs. ER trauma doctor.

They probably both make about the same. In my opinion, ER trauma doctor contributes much more to society.

I don't make much. I do what I do, it's what I was made to do and that's how it is.

I like working though.

I love what I do. I'll never get rich from it, but as long as I can pay my bills and have just a bit left over, I am fine with that. And I am a hard worker. What I don't like is maligning people who work full-time as "lazy" because they want to survive.

But to this topic: what our culture says is important and what they're willing to shell out money for are two different things.

You stated:

"Every person I know is paid EXACTLY what their production is worth."

You seem to have made it your concern

Not my concern, they chose what they are worth by accepting the job. If they think they are worth more, they need to make their skills more valuable to an employer.

Question: is an employee always paid what they are worth?

And does our job market prioritize which jobs are most important, and pay accordingly.

I'm thinking of nursing vs. investment banking. Which one will people say they value more? Which one pays more? Is that a reflection on the value of the profession?

I would say I value nursing more, (double entendre-wise, too, hehe) :alcoholic: but investment banking brings home more money.

There's always the "job satisfaction" thing to consider.

I'd rather make less and be happier. :)

From what I've read, public school teachers make on average around $50k as of 2013, while private school teachers make around $36k. Why? Public unions and politicians, an unholy match not made in heaven.
The 3 ladies I dated who were school teachers made more money in private than public schools however.

I guess the Catholic Church pays better.

Why does that even matter?

Maybe it doesn't to you.
It doesn't to anyone.

The compensation of a job is based upon the value to brings to the employer. Society has nothing to do with it.

The employer just arbitrarily makes up salaries?

No, it's based on a customer base. An employer has goods or services that others buy. So a good portion of deciding compensation for employees depends upon how much consumers are willing to pay.
No, and no.

It is not arbitrary and your lack of education notwithstanding, the compensation of an employee is gauged against a standard wage of value which starts at the minimum wage and goes up from there.

How to Determine the Proper Pay Scale for Employees

Enjoy.

So if you had no "industry standard" wage to compare to (which is about 50% of the content of that link) you'd have no idea how to pay an employee? Or you'd just start at minimum wage?
There are a couple of standard formula. However, it all blocks off of minimum wage. It starts at the least amount of skill needed, i.e., sweeping floors, emptying trash. These are usually skills that a person brings to the job based upon everyday life. Then it goes up from there.

Forum List

Back