Choose your worth?

The military payoff is a lot more than retirement.
I was addressing the financial payoff.

You have changed the subject by moving the goalposts.

Cute. Very cute.

List of fallacies - Wikipedia

I know you were addressing the financial payoff, I was commenting on the belief that the payoff for a military career is more than just money. And you might've changed the subject a little bit yourself.
See Shakespeare supra.

Cute. Very cute.

I know you were addressing the financial payoff, I was commenting on the belief that the payoff for a military career is more than just money. And you might've changed the subject a little bit yourself.
See Shakespeare supra.

LOL, I have no idea what that means.

To a hospital a nurse has more value. To Merrill Lynch an investment banker has more value. Different fields pay different salaries and people know what salaries average going in, or should anyway.

I have to laugh at people who get a degree is a field like oh say women's studies and then are stunned when they find jobs are scarce and don't pay well

Yes, but which job do you think society needs more?
Why does that even matter?

Maybe it doesn't to you.
It doesn't to anyone.

The compensation of a job is based upon the value to brings to the employer. Society has nothing to do with it.
Obviously they (the employers) are going to try and chisel you down as low as they can however.

Cute. Very cute.

See Shakespeare supra.

Don't tell me you never read Shakespeare.

Jeeze. What ignorance.

Cute. Very cute.

See Shakespeare supra.

Don't tell me you never read Shakespeare.

Jeeze. What ignorance.

I did read Shakespeare. About 50 years ago. AS for ignorance, I plead guilty.

Maybe it doesn't to you.
It doesn't to anyone.

The compensation of a job is based upon the value to brings to the employer. Society has nothing to do with it.

The employer just arbitrarily makes up salaries?

No, it's based on a customer base. An employer has goods or services that others buy. So a good portion of deciding compensation for employees depends upon how much consumers are willing to pay.
No, and no.

It is not arbitrary and your lack of education notwithstanding, the compensation of an employee is gauged against a standard wage of value which starts at the minimum wage and goes up from there.

How to Determine the Proper Pay Scale for Employees

Enjoy.

So if you had no "industry standard" wage to compare to (which is about 50% of the content of that link) you'd have no idea how to pay an employee? Or you'd just start at minimum wage?

You stated:

"Every person I know is paid EXACTLY what their production is worth."

You seem to have made it your concern

Not my concern, they chose what they are worth by accepting the job. If they think they are worth more, they need to make their skills more valuable to an employer.

Question: is an employee always paid what they are worth?

And does our job market prioritize which jobs are most important, and pay accordingly.

I'm thinking of nursing vs. investment banking. Which one will people say they value more? Which one pays more? Is that a reflection on the value of the profession?
Hello ricechickie !! So nice to hear back from you. Glad you came back again.

A better contrast would be between teachers versus investment bankers.

Teachers really get paid low wages and many of them wash out fast.

I knew an investment banker who was as corrupt as Newt Gingrich. This guy coincidentally even kept a photo of Newt in his office.

He was argumentative, stubborn, and inept by most professionals' evaluations. He is now retired, in his 80's, extremely rich, and he dotes on his kids and grand kids with gifts of money. And they love him for it.

Philosophically, you can only explain social injustice like this with moral and ethical indifference.

Religiously all you can conclude is that Lucifer (his Latin name given to him by St. Gerome) rewards his servants well.

Scientifically you can only infer that economic success is random and statistical.

All of life's questions can be plastered over with Philosophy, Religion, and/or Science. Either way it still hurts to see it first hand.

I thought it would seem self-serving to use teaching as an example ("poor me, underpaid teacher"). But my original examples that popped into my head were teacher and pro football player.

But a flight nurse is a sort of specialty, correct? I would expect them to make more than an RN in the hospital.
My sister is a nurse. She loves her job and she is paid well. She is very happy doing it.

I tend to rank happiness above most else. But you still have to pay bills. Good that she has both.
My sister was always good at biology in high school. Better than me. I got B's while she got A's in it. Although I did get A's in everything else.

So she is a natural fit for nursing. She loves her job. She loves her patients. She is very bossy too. Like most all nurses.

Because ricechickie is young and idealistic and is trying to figure out what to do with her life.

All college kids and anyone changing their careers in midlife due to crisis ask this.

You are a terrible mind reader. So far you've been wrong about me at every turn.
All I can do is guess Bebe.

My guesses so far -- Japanese American.

Nurse. (Edit: ok I see now -- TEACHER.)

Making a career move.

(Although you could have been a college kid changing her major too.)

You stated:

Not my concern, they chose what they are worth by accepting the job. If they think they are worth more, they need to make their skills more valuable to an employer.

And does our job market prioritize which jobs are most important, and pay accordingly.

I'm thinking of nursing vs. investment banking. Which one will people say they value more? Which one pays more? Is that a reflection on the value of the profession?
Hello ricechickie !! So nice to hear back from you. Glad you came back again.

A better contrast would be between teachers versus investment bankers.

Teachers really get paid low wages and many of them wash out fast.

I knew an investment banker who was as corrupt as Newt Gingrich. This guy coincidentally even kept a photo of Newt in his office.

He was argumentative, stubborn, and inept by most professionals' evaluations. He is now retired, in his 80's, extremely rich, and he dotes on his kids and grand kids with gifts of money. And they love him for it.

Philosophically, you can only explain social injustice like this with moral and ethical indifference.

Religiously all you can conclude is that Lucifer (his Latin name given to him by St. Gerome) rewards his servants well.

Scientifically you can only infer that economic success is random and statistical.

All of life's questions can be plastered over with Philosophy, Religion, and/or Science. Either way it still hurts to see it first hand.

I thought it would seem self-serving to use teaching as an example ("poor me, underpaid teacher"). But my original examples that popped into my head were teacher and pro football player.
The most money in the world is made by princes of oil states or by American big business MBA's.

The least amount of money is retail.

Maybe it doesn't to you.
It doesn't to anyone.

No, it's based on a customer base. An employer has goods or services that others buy. So a good portion of deciding compensation for employees depends upon how much consumers are willing to pay.
No, and no.

It is not arbitrary and your lack of education notwithstanding, the compensation of an employee is gauged against a standard wage of value which starts at the minimum wage and goes up from there.

Enjoy.

So if you had no "industry standard" wage to compare to (which is about 50% of the content of that link) you'd have no idea how to pay an employee? Or you'd just start at minimum wage?
Retail normally starts at minimum wage.

Other jobs usually start at some multiple of minimum wage such as 1.5x, 2x, etc.

Teachers in private schools are paid better than teachers in public schools. Maybe you just need to find a new employer ?!

Maybe it doesn't to you.
It doesn't to anyone.

No, and no.

Enjoy.

Other jobs usually start at some multiple of minimum wage such as 1.5x, 2x, etc.

Teachers in private schools are paid better than teachers in public schools. Maybe you just need to find a new employer ?!

This is not personal. This is an exercise. I was discussing something on another thread, and someone's comment caused me to think about this.

What's your source that private schools pay more than public? In my experience, that's not the case.

It doesn't to anyone.

No, and no.

Enjoy.

This is not personal. This is an exercise. I was discussing something on another thread, and someone's comment caused me to think about this.

What's your source that private schools pay more than public? In my experience, that's not the case.
I used to date three school teachers.

One taught special ed.

The other taught elementary ed.

The third taught French language.

You stated:

I would say sometimes not. For example: 2nd string baseball player vs. ER trauma doctor.

They probably both make about the same. In my opinion, ER trauma doctor contributes much more to society.

I don't make much. I do what I do, it's what I was made to do and that's how it is.

I like working though.

Last edited:
From what I've read, public school teachers make on average around $50k as of 2013, while private school teachers make around $36k. Why? Public unions and politicians, an unholy match not made in heaven.

You stated:

a person is paid what the skills required to do the job are worth.

I don't care if you have PhD in physics if you are stuffing burgers into a paper bag you will only be paid what that skill is worth and it will never be worth much

You stated:

a person is paid what the skills required to do the job are worth.

I don't care if you have PhD in physics if you are stuffing burgers into a paper bag you will only be paid what that skill is worth and it will never be worth much

Unless the state you live in forces your employer to pay you a minimum wage that exceeds what your skills are worth.

New Topics

Forum List

Back